Thread: Vintage Shotshells

Boolit Master

Vintage Shotshells

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C9B2935-CCB6-48A8-9335-32E8056FF5DB.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	301382

My neighbor was cleaning out his dad’s estate and found four of these shells. He’s not heavily into guns so he gave them to me. Obviously paper hulls and have a six point crimp with the load ID glued to the end. The interesting thing to me is the length of the brass, and it’s not magnetic so not plated. The shot size is 9c, if that means anything.

Any idea about age?

Boolit Master
    So I did some ‘net research and “c” apparently means “chilled shot” - and based on some vintage advertising, I’m thinking late ‘30’s to early ‘40’s. Would be interested in hearing from any expert collectors.

Boolit Buddy
    9 is the shot size, C does mean chilled. Chilled shot doesn't mean that it was put in ice water, it means that the shot has a high antimony content, and that makes the shot harder. Harder shot, less deformation when fired, better patterns. There were no plastic shotshells before the 1960s or so, your Shurshot and Kleanbore logos date right after WW2, so your shells most likely date from the mid 40s to the late 50s.

Boolit Master

The "c" actually means the opposite. Chilled means it has little antimony and therefore is soft. Magnum shot has more antimony and is harder. The pattern analysis of harder shot making tighter patterns is correct. Chilled shot is also usually a bit more effective at killing game because it somewhat "Mushrooms" as a bullet would, making a larger wound channel.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses.