Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is too old for components?

Boolit Master

How old is too old for components?

My stepdad gave me his entire stash of reloading equipment and components.

I don't think he has reloaded a single round since the late 70's or early 80's. So, obviously not an avid reloader and the entire stash fit in a large plastic tub.

I'll have to get pics of it later and do an inventory. It took both of us to barely lift it and get it out of the house and to the back of my wagon.

Looks like around half a dozen of mostly full powder jugs. If not metal, then the round cardboard tube types. RCBS dies with a price of $15.99 each. An RCBS single stage press, some cases of pistol primers, and about 75 lbs of bullets. Most what I glanced at was in .44 Mag or .357 Mag. Don't own either.

I will have to unload the tub slowly and catalog everything.

All of it was kept in an climate-controlled gun room and looks brand new.

I'm assuming the powder and primers should still be fine 40 years later?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I'm assuming the powder and primers should still be fine 40 years later?
    You'll find out pretty quick, but they should be.
    Do the usual visual and sniff test for the powder, but it's probably OK.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It’s probably all still good! Primers for sure! Easy enough to check. Load a case with nothing but a primer load it in a gun. If it goes bang with enough authority like a modern primer they’re fine. Same with the powder. Don’t be a little in the pan if it looks good smelling if it doesn’t smell acid he will burn your nostrils when you smelling it it’s probably still good! Specially if it’s a commonly known powder. Unique is probably one of the oldest if not the oldest powder that’s manufactured. It’s been around since I believe the late 1800s. 1890 something if I remember correctly. I don’t believe the formula is changed much. One thing about the primers if they’re from the 70s or the 80s I don’t believe they were corrosive if they are they would be marked as such. Sounds to me like you’ve got a great score!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I think you should be in good shape. A lot of military surplus is older than that. Maybe do a couple of test firings before you start loading by the hundreds.

Boolit Master

I think maybe 75 is starting to get "too old" for components, getting or giving...heart, lung, kidney, that sort of thing. Having led a full life, I don't want to live forever.

Oh, RELOADING components. It is NEVER too old, unless it is powder that has turned. I've got formerly unopened powders and primers from the '70's that when loaded fire on demand. That's about fifty years and they are still good to go. "Shelf life" is not much of a topic for well-kept components.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I found a bunch of old wads - probably not stored as well as yours, that would crumble when rolled between the fingers. Figured they must have been exposed to too much heat. Might be worth a check

I bought some primers and lost them in a move. Many, many, years later I found them. They were fine.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I am still using CCI primers I bought in the early 70's. They should be fine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Primers are probably good. Powder needs a sniff/red dust inspection. A lot will depend on conditions it was stored under.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Kept in a " Climate Controlled Room " ... more than likely everything is useable and in good shape .
    Primers so stored will last at least 50 years ... Powders , check for "red dust" and an acrid irratating unpleasant smell . If no red dust and pleasant smell ... it's good .
    I'm still using primers and powders from the 1970's ... I bought a lot of Alcan thinking it would be around forever . Kept in conditioned space ... all is still good .
    Dies , presses and equiptment will outlast us all .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

While more than likely still good I would recommend working up a load with them as powders may vary over time from slight variances in lots, IE 4895 from the 70s may nit be quite the same as the modern 4895. Start low and work up just to be safe.

Boolit Master
    Just reloaded about 50 45 Colt with CCI Large Pistol Primers - sleeve was one I bought a long time ago at Walmart = $1.14. Must have been @1981 or so. They fired just fine.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up some old Dupont 4064 this spring, poured some out and it was a little dusty but smelt ok. Tried 20 rounds of my std loads (55 gr V-max FMJ) in 22-250 and they shot about the same as new IMR 4064. Surprised me too.
    It was not definitive as it was a very windy day, but for giggles and fun it was good enough to try it again on a calm day.

I have shot Hercules Unique that was over 30 years old and got some of my best groupings in 38 SPL. I'm not afraid to try older powders. Picked up some consignment powder the other day at the LGS, IMR 4064 and W296 $25CAN/lb and 500 misc primers (old) for $4 a sleeve. They go bang. What more do you want?

Some people say primers go bad, but I have never found that.
    I regularly scrounge the consignment table in back for goodies, even if I don't need them. Scored several hundred 30 cal bullets for pennies on the $.

I have shot 22LR that were in my dad's stuff that were over 50 years old. Still went bang and killed the gophers.
    His field box was an "Old Black Magic" chocolate box. Remember those? He stored his ammo with a bottle of Hoppes #9, and a handful of jags patches.

Boolit Master
    Unless the primers are military surplus they will be non-corrosive. Non-corrosive primers came in in the late 20's to early 30's. As noted check the powder but if stores as you said would be very surprised if any was bad. Any bullets/brass you can't use throw in the S&S section.

Boolit Master
    Well the powder is the item to watch out with. Check for red dust.

I have been using Reloder 11 lately. That one went away in the early ‘70s and it’s still good. I was given some IMR 4895 that was in the metal can and it was a mess. It comes down to how it has been stored. A still sealed can makes a difference too in my opinion.

BTW, living in either Washington or Idaho it’s almost sworn “duty” to own a few .44’s and 357’s! LOL!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Look at the primers, if they are domed instead of flat you shouldn’t use them with a modern primer seating punch. The correct ones are probably in the bin.

Moderator Emeritus

15 years ago I brought powder and primers from the early 60's. I had no problems and they were stored anywhere.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Shot trap today with 700X from a black steel can. It's been a year or two since it was in steel cans.

Shot skeet and sporting clays last summer with Winchester primers that were in boxes with machined wood dividers. Every one went BANG!

Shot my 22-250 last year with H-380 from an original Hodgdon can that did not have a Zip Code on it which makes it pre-1963. That was probably WWII surplus. I still have 10+ pounds of that stuff.

Shoot it, not shooting it would be probably a treasonable offense to fellow shooters.

Start low with the loads and work up. Cast preferable to jacketed, mouse fart loads being the ideal and see how it works.

Good luck!

Boolit Master

Unloaded every thing and did a count. Quite the haul..

6 sets of RCBS dies and 2 sets of Lee dies.

8 lbs of powder, half unopened, only one half full(Bullseye) and the rest full or nearly full.

2200 bullets in .38/.357, .44 Mag, .30 cal, and .270.

4400 primers in small pistol, large pistol, and large rifle.

I checked and the powder is perfect (at least the opened ones were; not going to open the others until ready to use).

The prices were unbelievable with RCBS dies at $14 and a pound of powder at $4.

Not sure what to do with most of it. I'm heavily invested in .45 Colt and 10 mm, so the .357 mag and 44 Mag components aren't useful to me.

But, who knows what the future will hold, so I should probably stash it away just in case. The RCBS press will be put to immediate use as a second reloading station to help speed up things.

Attachment 301389

Attachment 301390

Attachment 301391

Attachment 301392

Attachment 301393

Attachment 301394

Attachment 301395

Attachment 301396
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

RCBS press looks normal, as do the dies, but the Lee dies are a mystery to me.

No idea what they are used in. May have to list them on Ebay if they are collectible.

Attachment 301397

Attachment 301398

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast