MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: WTS 1891 Argentine Mauser sporter

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

WTS 1891 Argentine Mauser sporter

REDUCED TO $325 SHIPPED

Father’s Day came early. My dad asked if I could put this up for sale for him here since I had great luck and sold my other two rifles here. History of this gun…Back on the late 80’s we walked into the LGS and he claimed it was his rifle that he sold off to buy groceries for us kids back in the early 70’s. He said he originally bought in a barrel full of rifles to pick from down at Montgomery wards back in the day…if I remember the story correctly. Anyways, I traded off a couple of guns and another $40 for it at the time and gave it to him for Christmas back then. He added a Williams peep sight shortly after. I sighted it in for him that year. I set up a few corn cobs on a fence at 150’s yards. I could knock them off every shot once I figured out how to adjust the peep sight. It’s definitely an accurate rifle! I shot a doe running full tilt that same year with it. I hit it around a 150 yards away. Shot it on a full leap and flipped it sideways in the air with a backbone shot. The doe hit the ground and slid a good 25 yards while it was already stone cold dead. I picked up a B square no drill weaver scout rail for it and added a red dot at one time. You can still use the peep sight with it attached. I also have the original ladder sight and pin to hold the original rear sight in place and comes with it. There are 19 loaded rounds that come with it and a little over 20 extra brass that’s pictured below. He decided he wants a Conceal and carry pistol and asked it I would list this for him so he had funds to do so. Happy Father’s Day everyone!

Oh yeah he was hoping to get $399 shipped for everything you see below. First I’ll take it gets it.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-21-2022 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

A few more pics

Barrel is a little dirty but you can see the crown…

Boolit Bub
    Is this a pre 1899?

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent

It’s an 1891 with an “M” in front of the serial number. From the quick googling I’m guessing it’s production year was 1895?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-19-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    PM sent
    PM answered. Member wanted to know my location. Still available.

Pop’s said to reduce it down to $360 shipped for Father’s Day.

It’s getting late in the day…how about the first $349 shipped takes it?

New day, New price. First $325 shipped takes all!

Daily bump, my dad told me over the weekend that it wasn’t in a barrel full of guns. He had to save up for it and “special” ordered it out of a catalog from the local Montgomery wards. Bought it around 1956/57 according to how old he was at the time. He picked it up in their basement when it arrived. The building is at least still standing in our historical part of town.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow, what a beautiful rifle Tripp!

Shameless bump
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks, if kept it I would fabricate a butt plate for the stock. It’s a fun little shooter and a deer hammer.

I'll take it.....PM incoming
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Sold to Fla9-40 pending working out the FFL details and waiting for payment.

Tripplebeards-- way back up in this thread somewhere someone was attempting to ascertain the manufacturing date (year) of this rifle. Some Argies are pre-1898 (the model is 1891!) and are considered "antiques" by ATF and require no FFL to purchase. However, and you and your buyer should research this, some States require all firearms to pass through a dealer. So, check the laws of the buyer's state, and you may be able to ship straight to his door.

DG

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn’t for sure because the age requirement is met BUT commercially loaded ammo is still readily available…which is a no go from what I read. It’s going to Florida and the buyer already has the FFL set up. I was paranoid and didn’t wanna sell it at first because I didn’t want to provide my ID. I was afraid of identity theft. I called an FFL in Florida and they confirmed Florida requires the sellers information info if the gun was sold by a private party for the transfer paperwork. News to me as I’ve never had to provide my info on guns I’ve sold through gunbroker in the past. I sent my info, I have the FFL paperwork, and am just waiting for the payment now. Fla9-40 is sending it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-22-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Check is on its way and my Dad was chomping at the bit so I borrowed him his future payment and added a little to the kitty. He has arthritis in his hands pretty bad and can’t rack the side of any of my pistols. We’ve tried several at the LGS on and off for the last two years. Was almost to the point that he was going to go another route and get a single shot 410 or 20 gauge for turkey hunting and slug hunting…that he would never use IMO. He got excited when he saw the Beretta bobcat and Taurus poly flip tops. Wasn’t going to let him get the Taurus after feeling the 20 pound plus trigger and not being able to get the magazine inserted unless it’s “slapped” into place. I found a silver bobcat 21a used at a LGS. It was bought buy on of their regulars who was apart of what they call the “gun of month club”. He had it for a month and put 40 rounds through it. It looks like brand new and came with 2 extra NIP magazines. The safety is a little hard to operate and seems to stick so I’ll have to take it apart and lube it up. I picked it up for $324 plus another $13 state pistol form and and Uncle Sam. New it seems the average price is $419 and up and $30ea on the magazines. So a little over $500 with forms and tax. Not imo a great caliber for conceal and carry but he will sure have some affordable fun with it. I plenty of 22lr ammo so hopefully it’s an excuse to get him out of the house and shoot now. Seems like any thing centerfire with him gets sighted in by me and and he never shoots it anymore. I did get him out shooting his new vaquero last year after I made a couple hundred trail boss loads for him. Needless to say he’s pretty tickled. Thanks for the help on a late Father’s Day present!

Looks like brand new and came with the original box and all the paperwork…

I have some cci stingers and cci segmented stingers. I’ll fill his mags with them after he’s done plinking and getting use to it. I will also have to look for some fancy grips for it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-24-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Bub
    1898 and before in Texas is door to door.

Boolit Buddy

I purchased an 1891 Argie a few years ago. When researching to determine if it met antique requirements I learned receivers stamped "Ludwig Loewe" or "Loewe Berlin" were all manufactured prior to 1.1.1899.

Yours is pre-1899 and a very nice sample.

Edit to add, knew I had saved the info somewhere, your "M" serial prefix rifle was manufatured in 1895.

Scroll down to post #9 for the chart - http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...serial-numbers
    Last edited by PhilC; 06-27-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional info

Sold!