Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: starline 38-55 long brass

Boolit Master

starline 38-55 long brass

what should be the minimum trim to length on the 2.125 starline long brass?

Boolit Grand Master

It isnt the brass length that determines trim to length. You Want to find the length of the chamber and .010 below that. The Chamber determines the trim to length.

You may not need to trim. Some of the chambers are longer than the “Long” brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    It isnt the brass length that determines trim to length. You Want to find the length of the chamber and .010 below that. The Chamber determines the trim to length.
    Since you have the same pedersoli that i do whats the stated chamber length in the high 38-55?

Boolit Grand Master

I dont have a pedersoli in 38-55 my pedersoli is 45-70 my 38-55s are a c sharps highwall 2.085 chamber that measures 2.090 And a DZ arms hepburn with the 2.125 chamber that meaures at 2 .125. The CSharps trim length is 2.080 (.010 below chamber length) THE DZs trim length is 2.115

A chamber cast will tell you what the chamber measures and allow for you to determine the trim to length for your rifle. This dimension can vary slightly from rifle to rifle

THE other way is to sacrifice a case to this, trim a case to 2.000 deburr and chamfer. Size it down with out the expander then cut a slit down the neck about 1/2"-3/4" long, deburr this. A t shaped slug is then turned with the head measuring the dia of the case od and the stub a snug fit in the case neck and 1/2-3/4 long. Insert this in the case leaving it long and chamber it. Remove carefully and measure. Do this several times to verify. This case will be hand for finding Overall length for a given bullet also.

The slug is a t shape with a flat face the stub or tenon will be .376-.377 and 1/2-3/4" long the head will be case dia and .060 long it can be made from brass aluminum or leaded steel. When inserted in the case and chambered it seats against the front edge of the chamber and is pushed back into the case giving the chamber length.

I simply size my case, and then trim it slightly and test fit it. Easy to tell how much it lacks from fully seating, so I measure with my dial calipers and trim a bit more. Keep trying the case until it fully seats and then you've got the max. length.
    Takes a little longer, but no wasted cases, and no need for a chamber cast.

You probably have your length by now but it's very easy to get a good chamber depth by just making a simple and easy cast using paraffin or candle wax to make a chamber cast if you don't want to invest in cerrosafe. Wax will give you a good cast for what your looking for.
    Just run a dry patch down your bore to take most of the oil out when you cleaned the rifle. You want the chamber just slightly coated. Push a patch slightly past the chamber and pour the melted wax in let it cool and push it out with a cleaning rod.
    This cast in the photo is not good enough to see the quality of the cast from the photo but the details are very good.
    The chamber of this cast does not have the usual 45º usual transition it has the original 4º that a lot of the originals used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2288 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	302880

Boolit Grand Master
    Very good, Lead pot.