Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Easy cider mead (cyser)

Boolit Buddy

Easy cider mead (cyser)

Buying one of those one gallon of apple juice things that are shaped just like the 10$ 1 gallon carboys on Amazon. (Free juice) must be only juice and no sorbate-ite whatevers.

Pour entire contents into another clean container.

Add 3lb honey into the one gallon. (I used buckwheat honey)

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Add 1 tbsp fleischmans original active dry yeast

Top back up with the juice and leave about an inch bellow where the neck starts to taper down.

Put on airlock. Waited 2 weeks. Put into another bottle to clean out the muck. Then put back in to clarify. Waited another 3 weeks. Bottled.

Boy this is yummy even tho it’s “green”

I’m so shocked bread yeast hit 11% alcohol. I was thinking maybe it would hit 8 but as long as it tastes good. Not like I’m going to be able to drink too much without falling asleep first anyway.

Wife and I started another batch today that is going to be a rose petal-cherry mead. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you happen to measure the initial and final specific gravity? I have used champagne yeast for higher % batches never would have thought of using bread yeast.

Boolit Buddy

Easy cider mead (cyser)

Alas I didn’t. I did this as a whim. I learn of the device for that after I started it.

I’m judging it’s at least 11 given I drink strong ipa beers a bit. And 6 oz of this is kicking my butt comparatively much more

The hydrometers I ordered will arrive on Monday so when I get them I can load the bottled gravity reading

Last edited by johnsonian09; 06-18-2022 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I was making it I used the unfiltered cider and Champagne yeast. It was about 20%. Warned people that it would sneak up on you.

Sometimes would get secondary fermentation after bottled. Very nice.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 06-20-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy

Easy cider mead (cyser)

Right now it reads 1.006

Because I didn’t measure the start I looked at some forums and a video by city steading brews whose recipe turns out is basically what I did.

I’m estimating the original was around 1.110

So I should be in the ballpark of 13.5 ish abv.
    Last edited by johnsonian09; 06-20-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Did you happen to measure the initial and final specific gravity? I have used champagne yeast for higher % batches never would have thought of using bread yeast.
    Country people have forever used bread yeast to make beverages: Dandelion wine, blackberry cordial etc. There are many strains of Saccharomyces genus yeasts but they all produce alcohol from sugar. Wine makers use specialized strains that are selected for specific qualities such as ability to tolerate alcohol, flavor, aroma, and others.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

If you need to boost ABV you can buy corn sugar from brew supply houses https://www.northernbrewer.com/produ...14427232469036 also works for bottle priming if you want sparkling beverages that are yeast fermented. Even after the yeast has settled out there is still enough suspended in the liquid to carbonate a bottle. Use champagne bottles for this! Or beer bottles(start low on how much you add or end with exploding bottles. Don't ask me how I know this...)

Boolit Buddy
    I didn’t think of trying for a sparkling mead, that’s a great idea!

However I doubt the yeastie beasts will go much higher then it is. I didn’t use anything fancier then bread yeast. I’m surprised it went as high as it did

Boolit Master
    around here folks use all kinds of recipes , most recently saw some guys using wheat and rye flour with sugar and plain old fleshman's bread yeast to make "beer' but then go a step further boiling it and condensing it down to make custom " hand sanitizer" but they have used piles of apples, peaches, berries of any sort, even tomatoes, they say tomato wine is very good stuff, whatever might be available to get those mason jars filled. yes its a real thing here, not just like the tv show stuff but something similar. fortunately I haven't had a drink since October 16, 1996 and have no desire. life is very good being sober.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    I didn’t think of trying for a sparkling mead, that’s a great idea!

However I doubt the yeastie beasts will go much higher then it is. I didn’t use anything fancier then bread yeast. I’m surprised it went as high as it did

Put some in a pop bottle with the lid on tight. It might surprise you and become carbonated. Pop bottles can be tested for pressure by squeezing.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    1 qt cranberry juices. I use welches
    1 can frozen grape concentrate
    4 cups of sugar dissolved in water
    3/4 tsp dry yeast I use red star wine yeast, because it's the cheapest and it works
    put it in a gallon jug with a air lock or a ballon and put it in a warm place
    the recipe says to wait 21 days but I let it set for 2 months