Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No use for FMJ

Boolit Master
    I use fmj in my 223 when shooting fox or other smaller fur bearing critters. Other than that,I don't have much use for fmj.

Only FMJ I have is for 7.62x39, 308 Winchester for AR-10, and 5.56 for AR-15 that I load to match my bulk military ammo so it's all sighted the same for SHTF ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    …. Dont like having to change my zeros ( nothing like missing a coyote because your zeroed for FMJ but slapped in a VMAX ,…l.
    You could always zero with VMAX (or your preferred hunting projectile) and punch paper with less expensive cast, fmj or plated. I’d think the POI may shift up or down but your group sizes should be reasonably close. JMO.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Some full metal jacketed bullets are hollow points. They are not designed for expansion. There is almost no lead in the nose. They are made that way so more of the mass is further back and theoretically they are more stable and therefore more accurate. They are designed for target shooting, not hunting. I used to shoot them in my 6.5x55 Sweds, before I started casting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Some full metal jacketed bullets are hollow points. They are not designed for expansion. There is almost no lead in the nose. They are made that way so more of the mass is further back and theoretically they are more stable and therefore more accurate. They are designed for target shooting, not hunting. I used to shoot them in my 6.5x55 Sweds, before I started casting.

FMJ's have the opening at the base for the insertion of the core. Hollow point the opening is at the tip for the insertion of the core.

Some actual history of the hollow point match bullet here.

https://www.ssusa.org/content/why-ar...more-accurate/

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/08/2...lets-accurate/

https://www.ccwclasses.net/what-does...l-jacket-mean/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-19-2022 at 04:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

FMJ's are/were cheaper to feed through M1A1 and AR-15 as dad, kids and their friends "blasted away" 30-round mags, just for FUN. Like Mal Paso, $0.08 per bullet for the 223 AR is about the least I found and stocked up - a LOT. Sadly, kids grow up and political winds increase the cost of reloading components.

I ALWAYS hunt with jacketed lead tipped or cast bullets as it is unlawful to hunt with FMJ's here. Before I felt old, lost my hunting partner of 30-years, had that wind sucked from my sails, when I shot a lot, hunted a lot, was confident in my equipment and ability, and ALWAYS used a steady rest, I preferred neck shots, and still do within limitations...ymmv.

On Castboolits, and migrating to other boards, the words "jacketed" and "bullet" are, by use only, out of context, and subjugated as "j-word" and "boolit" for distinction as cast. I can "see" the way in which those are useful here. I do not believe it to be a misstatement to say most hunters use jacketed bullets. My "Cast Bullet Handbook" tells me what I should know about cast.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Am I the only one who never really buys or reloads FMJ ? Don't really have a purpose for it since all my shooting just kinda falls back to trying to put a round in a critter. Dont like having to change my zeros ( nothing like missing a coyote because your zeroed for FMJ but slapped in a VMAX , ask me how I know lol) all the time and that whole " good nuff pie plate accuracy dont still well with me) so I just load stuff I can actually hunt with. I mean don't get me wrong you can hunt with FMJ.....but head shots are frowned upon apparently lol.
    I ONLY load FMJ for suppressed subguns and 223/308.
    I was told years ago by a can manufacturer that shooting lead through a can is verboten because of lube and lead buildup.
    That is all. Everything else is cast.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Nowadays I only hunt office products. FMJ’s are fun but so are others. Price and availability determine the amount of fun.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    "It all boils down to the application."

For the purposes the OP has mentioned, he has no needs.

But there are other good reasons to use FMJ's or whatever the shooter needs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    FMJ is frowned on in this area, sparks start forest fires too easily. During bad fire seasons, it's illegal to even shoot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    FMJ is frowned on in this area, sparks start forest fires too easily. During bad fire seasons, it's illegal to even shoot.
    I have seen restrictions on AP and tracers for fire issues. Never on FMJ's. So it's illegal to shoot 9mm and 45 ACP ball while others ammo is OK? I have seen temporarily banning the discharge of firearms for target-shooting or other purposes by anyone not engaged in lawful hunting or out right bans on hunting/camping due to fire conditions but never a FMJ ban only.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-19-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I know a guy who hunted with FMJ's. Seemed quite acceptable for the bigger/meaner stuff in Africa. LOL

But in the "real world" I live in, I am with the others who have little use for FMJ bullets unless the price is right for cheap practice. Cost is a big driver for the bulk of my shooting. I would not be worried about POI changes. It is not rocket science to dial in a scope or peep sight.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    Only FMJ I have is for 7.62x39, 308 Winchester for AR-10, and 5.56 for AR-15 that I load to match my bulk military ammo so it's all sighted the same for SHTF ammo.
    ^^That!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    but never a FMJ ban only.

A few local public ranges ban them, and have for several years.
    They've had problems with ricochets bouncing up and out of the berms.

FMJ is illegal to hunt with in some states, California is one.
    Here in Texas, the only ammo restriction by the state I'm aware of is armor piercing ammo for handguns.
    (That may even be a federal law)
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A few local public ranges ban them, and have for several years.
    They've had problems with ricochets bouncing up and out of the berms.

FMJ is illegal to hunt with in some states, California is one.
    Here in Texas, the only ammo restriction by the state I'm aware of is armor piercing ammo for handguns.
    (That may even be a federal law)
    Most (if not all) states do not allow FMJ's to be used to hunt big game. Hunting fur animals like coyotes it is allowed all of the state I hunt in.

So on those ranges you can't shoot 9mm and 45 Ball? Lots of bullets don't expand, what stops them from bouncing up and out of the berms?

https://www.blm.gov/programs/public-...e-restrictions

All campfires are required to have a five-foot diameter area be cleared to bare soil and the area must be free of overhead flammable material. The restriction requires that anyone using a campfire have a round-point shovel with a handle at least 35-inches-long nearby.
    Portable stoves and lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed. Users must have a valid California campfire permit on BLM managed lands within California. Visitors should be extremely careful with their use. Visitors should carry shovels, water and fire extinguishers. California campfire permits are available free online at https://www.readyforwildfire.org/per...mpfire-permit/ or at all BLM, U.S. Forest Service and Cal Fire offices.
    No possession or use of fireworks, including California fire marshal-approved “safe and sane” devices.
    Target shooters may not use incendiary, exploding, tracer, steel core, steel jacketed or armor piercing ammunition. Steel targets are not recommended – hot bullet fragments, exploding targets and metal from recreational shooting can spark a wildland fire. Hunters actively engaged in the legal pursuit and take of game and non-game species must have a valid California hunting license and abide by California laws and regulations.

Still not see anything about FMJ's for target shooting on BLM land?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-19-2022 at 02:04 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    So on those ranges you can't shoot 9mm and 45 Ball?
    Hardball is fine.
    If a magnet will stick to the bullet, or it's arcane--- that's a 'no-no' for handgun ammo.
    Of the indoor ranges I've been to in the DFW area, they all dig around in your ammo can with a magnet.

Not only are they illegal in the state, but I figured they don't want bullets bouncing around inside the range
    when they come off their angled steel plate back walls.

I don't think they'd bounce around much more than a Copper jacketed hard ball,
    but I don't write the music, I just try to dance to it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-19-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

…They've had problems with ricochets bouncing up and out of the berms.
    Problems like separating the jackets from the harvested lead?

Boolit Grand Master

Hardball is fine.
    If a magnet will stick to the bullet, or it's arcane--- that's a 'no-no' for handgun ammo.
    Of the indoor ranges I've been to in the DFW area, they all dig around in your ammo can with a magnet.

Not only are they illegal in the state, but I figured they don't want bullets bouncing around inside the range
    when they come off their angled steel plate back walls.

I don't think they'd bounce around much more than a Copper jacketed hard ball,
    but I don't write the music, I just try to dance to it.
    Ball 9mm and 45 ACP are FMJ's. FMJ's are not steel core or AP but steel core and AP can be FMJ's. They are not the same.

Ranges that use steel bullet traps have velocity limits for all ammo and don't allow AP and or steel jackets since they damage the steel unlike normal FMJ's.

Texas does not allow AP for handguns as do 10 other states but AP and FMJ's are not the same.

https://ltcaustin.com/legal-ammunition-in-texas/
    Only One Type of Ammunition Is Strictly Forbidden
    On a state level, the only specific type of ammunition that’s illegal is armor-piercing ammunition for handguns. This is defined as a type of handgun ammunition designed to penetrate any metal or body armor. Armor-piercing ammo cannot be knowingly possessed, manufactured, sold, transported, or repaired within the state of Texas.

The M855 Geen Tip is not classified as AP. https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/a...rmor-piercing/

Definitions of what AP actually is https://rocketffl.com/ap-ammo-are-ar...ullets-legal/#

What states are FMJ illegal to possess????

Excluding rimfire and shotgun ammo my guess is that close to 75% of all ammo fired in the US are FMJ's
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-19-2022 at 05:41 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

…Of the indoor ranges I've been to in the DFW area, they all dig around in your ammo can with a magnet.

Not only are they illegal in the state, but I figured they don't want bullets bouncing around inside the range when they come off their angled steel plate back walls.
    Indoor ranges I worked at would ask if you had steel core when you checked in. Most people didn’t know. If the bullet TIP stuck to the magnet it was not allowed. You could also see the sparks as it hit the baffle plates.
    Every night we cleaned the range floor. I can’t recall ever seeing FMJs during clean up. In fact it was extremely rare to see any part of a projectile on the floor.

Boolit Master

About 90% of my reloads are cast, either PC'd or pan-lubed; the remainder is .30 cal. FMJ simply because I've got so much of it. Back when the mil-surp pull-downs started to dry-up, I snagged a goodly batch of M80 ball from Jeff Bartlett to feed my Garand and, four or five years back, when those M118LRs popped up, I snagged a couple thousand from RMR. Finally, last winter, I picked up a .50 cal. ammo can from a consignment auction that was half-full of pull-downs M80s with a zip-lock bag of M2 APs thrown in for $50 and change. Right now, I'm pretty certain that I've got more .30 FMJ bullets on-hand than large rifle primers.

On the other hand, the 60 rounds of .308 that I sent downrange this morning were shiny Flame Red Arsenal 309-188PCs.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 06-19-2022 at 05:51 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast