RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Win 69A chamber problem fixed

Boolit Master

Win 69A chamber problem fixed

I have been reviving a long neglected Win 69A, a .22LR bolt gun. I replaced a couple parts and got it to functional, almost. First trial at the range, gun fires but case doesn't extract. Took a cleaning rod to pop it out. There is a small burr on edge of chamber, no doubt from dry firing. There have been and are chamber ironing tools for this, but I didn't have and didn't want to spend $40 or so on something I might never use again. I think on here someone mentioned that a #1 drill bit is about the right size for a .22 chamber, .228". Bought two from local hardware, for $3. They mike about .228" at the tip, a thousandth or so less at the base. I took a 3/16" socket, 1/4" drive, clamped in a drill press vise and drilled out the socket part. Then hacksawed off a piece from the base of the drill bit. Tried to solder it but that wouldn't stick so I used JB Weld and glued it. Then put an angled flat on one side and polished good with a buffer. Just used a file and emery paper before the buffer. With an extension and a T-handle, I could turn the tool and felt the burr going away. Back at the range, some, but not all, cases would extract. A couple more tries and most would extract, but not all. So I took a 3/16" brass rod and cut a thin slot in the end. A tiny strip of 1200 grit paper, then some cloth with tripoli on it, both spun with an electric drill, seemed to finish the job. Now at the range, 100% extract. Hardest to get extracting were the PMC Zappers, but they are 100% now. I am attaching some pictures, I hope it helps someone. If there is a better way, let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamber1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	301328
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamber2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	301329

Boolit Master
    I make a split lapping tool from a fired case .....works with bigger centrefire cases too.

Boolit Buddy
    Also tear down the bolt assembly, and check the cross pin under the handle that acts as the dry fire stop for the firing pin.
    Seen many of that pin broken, and then that would cause the chamber issue

J Wisner

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful DIY idea!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    Also tear down the bolt assembly, and check the cross pin under the handle that acts as the dry fire stop for the firing pin.
    Seen many of that pin broken, and then that would cause the chamber issue

J Wisner
    Thank you for the reply. I had the bolt apart and the "firing pin stop pin" was in two pieces. Compared to the schematic where it was not. Numrich had the part listed as out of stock when I bought a couple other parts. The gun works so I held off on making one. I had not made the connection with that causing the chamber burr. Now that you mention it, I am going to make a new one before I fire the gun again.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Boolit Master
    9 months and still out of stock at Numrich so I went ahead and made one. I had a number drill just a couple thousandths over size. I put it in a drill press upside down and sanded it down to fit with strips of abrasive paper. Trimmed to length and it looks good to go. I hope a drill bit was appropriate for this but I had it and didn't have to go buy something.