WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I screwed up and I could use some help to prevent doing it again...

Boolit Master
    my 116 savage has to have full length sized brass as it has a tight chamber .no problem as it shoots great. just open the bolt and use fully sized in future.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would shoot it, and then see what needed to be done. Just as a precaution, before firing, you might want to tap the bullet a 10th of in inch back into the case, using a 1/4 inch steel rod wrapped with tape to protect the bore. This can help prevent a "stuck in the rifling" pressure event, though if you have a compressed load, don't try it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I would shoot it, and then see what needed to be done. Just as a precaution, before firing, you might want to tap the bullet a 10th of in inch back into the case, using a 1/4 inch steel rod wrapped with tape to protect the bore. This can help prevent a "stuck in the rifling" pressure event, though if you have a compressed load, don't try it.
    I wouldn't recommend that. Odds are nothing bad would happen, but odds were against what has already happened.

Poking a steel rod down the barrel and tapping on the bullet in a live round in a chamber with the bolt closed? Nah. I'll pass.

We still don't know the latest on this project, has the round been fired, removed, or what? However, it's stuck in there for some reason....
    Driving stuck rounds out from the muzzle is never a good idea, although many have gotten away with it. What happens is that very often the bullet will be forced back into the case and further expand whatever it is that has proven too tight. They make a tool that clamps around the rim of the cartridge and which has a long threaded rod on the rear. A slide hammer is on the rod, kind of like a pencil through a donut, and a big nut on the end for the slide hammer to impact against. That, if properly and tightly clamped onto the rim of the cartridge, will infallibly pull the stuck round out of the breech when the slide hammer forcibly smacks the nut at the rod's end. If you try the rod-from-the-muzzle method, and are unsuccessful what have you got then? Firing such a compacted round, and the higher pressure the compaction
    would create might be a life-altering experience. And if it should fire from being hammered the rod is heading out of the barrel your way.

DG

Boolit Master

Watching, wanting to know
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12