Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle time

Turtle time

That time of the year. Got offa work yesterday around 6am didn't get my boots off before I had a text saying they need turtles gone since they just stocked some fish.
    Well lazy me hasn't been caring for nets probably and just about all but one has been dry rotted. So it's gonna be alot of needle work on my day off
    But on the bright side I had some forsight to make some bait cages the other night and pick up bait so had that going for me .

But yeah got the one good one out in the water and decided to sit around and just watch since the pond was so small due to low water . Less then 30min I come back and there a small snapper , 10 maybe 15 lbs surfacing by and trying to get into the net a so hopefully by the time I go back to check in a few hours he'll be sitting in there with a dozen or so sliders

Hoping relocating spots are still good since I legally can't keep or seel these critters

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Hey man I ‘ve seen your posts on other forums. I built a trap last year very similar to yours but had no luck catching any, will give it another go here in a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	602870D0-C1E8-4122-9245-CC5BB568A28D.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	301300

I strung a wire with gizzards on it across the back of the trap, but when I would check it all the gizzards were gone and nothing in the trap. It is welded wire lined, I don’t know what is getting in there and taking the bait. I think I will try some bait cages this year.

My dogs were going crazy down my driveway last week, went to see what it was, they were harassing a good-sized snapper they had caught out in the open. I got the dogs away from her but will be looking for her in a few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1139CF3B-C8AD-4FDD-A889-5F3671B10F28.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	301301
    Last edited by namsag; 06-16-2022 at 09:49 AM.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master

When we had acreage things were just the opposite, for my wife. Any turtle she saw crossing a rural road was immediately taken into custody for transportation to our stocked pond. From a distance on a sunny spring day the banks of the pond looked like they were lined with dark green rocks.
    I don’t think they seriously affected the fish population. The Martens and Minks had that covered.

Boolit Grand Master

WD91 ,
    After you catch them ... then what ?
    I enjoy your post and it would be interesting to see how a turtle is "processed" ...
    How to get the shell off and the meat prepped for making a Turtle Sauce Piquante or Turtle Soup would be most informative . I can skin anything with fur ... but a shell has me wondering ... how do you get to the meat ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    WD91 ,
    After you catch them ... then what ?
    I enjoy your post and it would be interesting to see how a turtle is "processed" ...
    How to get the shell off and the meat prepped for making a Turtle Sauce Piquante or Turtle Soup would be most informative . I can skin anything with fur ... but a shell has me wondering ... how do you get to the meat ?
    Gary
    Illegal in MS to harvest or sell them so they just get relocated. We are allowed one a year and somtimes I'll give one to a old timer but that's about it
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    back when we had fish farm in palatka we would set trot lines and catch soft shell turtles out of the fish ponds. every so often I would take a few gallons of meat to this old time cook at a bar and restaurant in Gainesville and she would bread it, fry it then smother it in some kind of dark onion gravy and cook it till it was tender and very delicious . that lady knew what she was doing. with okra and tomatoes and pile of mashed potatoes, yeah that stuff was real good.

Boolit Buddy

They are good eating. Most people will flour and fry them. Then put into a crock pot with water and noodles or biscuits. I prefer it just rolled in flour and fried. Yeah it's tough and chewy but it's turtle. Always goes good with catfish and frog legs.

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/...le/turtle.html

The old ancestral Louisiana way...

My dad was an insurance agent so he was in the car all day long driving the backroads of southwest Louisiana. In the spring it was common to see them crossing the roads, pretty sure they were females heading to nest. Old dad grew up scrambling for every meal during the Depression, so when he saw a big snapper crossing the road that turtle’s career was over, nesting or not. He would toss it in the trunk, take it home and let it purge a couple of days, and we had turtle sauce piquante.

I saw several this spring out on the roads, and the one in my driveway, but I’m suppressing the old instincts and following the rules. We can harvest come July 1.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Illegal in MS to harvest or sell them so they just get relocated. We are allowed one a year and somtimes I'll give one to a old timer but that's about it
    Louisiana is different ... How do you get the shell off ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

How to clean a turtle, make sure you have a stout knife that can take some abuse to get the shell off. Once that is done I switch to a short filet knife(6") to do the rest. First couple you will kind of hack the meat up looking for the joints, everybody does it so just go for it. Since I usually make it into a sauce piquant to serve over rice or pasta it doesn't matter if it is cut up a bit! I use an old hunting knife for the hard parts, it has a 1/4" thick spine and can handle being pounded on.

One thing I never had was eggs... we always waited until mid July before taking any snapping turtles, in MN you can possess 3 and they must be 12 inches shell length. Season starts July 1st... LOT of abandoned gravel pits around here that are full of them! And some big ones, saw one 2' long last year... old old critter!

https://masterwoodsman.com/2015/how-...apping-turtle/

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are you talking about snapping turtles? When I was a kid in Pa, we would catch snappers and sell them to the local bar/restaurant. Never thought it might have been illegal. Snapper soup is sure good. It’s been too long since I’ve had some.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    WD91 ,. but a shell has me wondering ... how do you get to the meat ?
    Gary
    get on youtube and put 'how to clean a turtle' in their home site search engine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Here ya go….

I sure wish we had turtles….
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    In ohio the season is from July 1 to December. We didn't used to have limits , unsure if that's still the same or not .
    They was also the only amphibian it was legal to sell / trade .
    Not that you could enough for them to be worthwhile.

A friend did a bbq with one a long time ago.
    He cooked it Hawaiian kalua style for 5-6 hours let it cool down then de-boned it rolled it up like a turkey and grilled it .

It wasn't bad , not exactly to my taste though .
    My first impression was it tasted a lot like a duck . I don't care for duck myself .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I got a double on soft shells with fishing poles bottom fishing the other day trying for catfish. Our season is closed for a good month yet so they went back in. We have to wait till egg laying season is over. I use to make a living selling them as a kid back in the 70’s. More work to clean a turtle than a deer imo. I canned a few snappers the year before last. I crock potted them for days switching out the chicken broth daily until it stopped smelling like dead rotten fish. I even kept my snappers in garbage cans for two weeks prior switching out water daily till they crapped out all the funk. Once the meat had zero smell from about 4/5 days of straight croc potting I canned it in big chunks. I added beef broth to the jars and canned. The texture and taste was like tender chicken and or brisket. The meat fell apart is was so tender. I originally left it right on the the bone and tossed it into the crock pot. After a day or two I removed it from the bone and tossed it back in and kept switching out the broth till the dirty river smell disappeared. I’ll be doing a few again this year. If I remember soft shell turtle meat was a little bitter tasting vs snapper.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-17-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    A big snapper is a heck of a meal.
    We always put any we'd catch in a big tub of water that they couldn't get out of for a few days. As mentioned above,, allowing the turtle to purge itself.
    Kill it,, & hang it by the tail to bleed out after removing the head.
    Flip it over on it's back, & start working it apart. Once it's opened,, you can easily see the meat & as mentioned,, a good filet knife is great for removing the meat from the shell.
    Once removed,, a quick fresh water rinse,, then in a crock pot, with BBQ sauce, watered down by half, and slow cooked for about 10-12 hours.
    Good eating & the easiest way to cook.

I was at a gathering where snapping turtle was cooking in a crock pot. I opened the lid and got a whif of stinky pond bottom mud. No thank you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My aunt and uncle used to eat softshell turtle eggs. I was always assigned to cruise the river banks and look for fresh nests. One day, I found a female just starting to lay so I just reached underneath and pulled each egg out as she dropped them. I don’t recall the exact count but it was around 18-20.

Boolit Grand Master

In Louisiana all you need is a fishing license to take Common Snapping Turtles , they are plentiful and not in dangered . Alligator Snapping Turtles are getting harder to find and have restrictions .
    But the common snapper is fair game .

I want to thank all for posting cleaning and cooking tips , hints and directions ... Markopolo's video answered all my questions ... Loved It !

I'm going to see if I can talk my younger brother into going Turtle Fishing with me ... seems the only times we have caught turtle's is while fishing for catfish .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I don’t think they seriously affected the fish population.
    Mature fish can live with them.

The destruction of the fishing comes when the turtles push the breeding fish off their nests and eat the eggs.
    The turtles will keep the game fish from reproducing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast