RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turtle time

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah after I can do my turtle meet up and give some cans to my uncles to try I had fun and googled it to see if you can even buy it online. It’s ridiculous priced!!! I think it’s like 25 bucks or more a pound now. Can’t wait till season comes I’ll catch a few snappers and can some up. I did a post under cooking recipes here a season or two ago on a couple that I caught it’s the ones I’m referring to. I can go out right now and catch one in about 10 minutes they’re just not in season don’t know why they do that here other than to protect their eggs because there are more turtles than mosquitoes in Wisconsin!

Boolit Grand Master

Im surprised you cant keep and eat them. Where i grew up there were no laws covering snappers
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I thought this was going to be about Mitch McConnell.

Boolit Master
    as far as turtles effecting fish populations. we had 20 one-acre-ponds we raised shiners and minnows, mostly shiners. it was a constant thing to get predators out of them to protect our livelihood those turtles gorge them selves on small fish. we had one 1/2 sized pond that was deeper and we kept it stocked with bass and eels. the turtles didn't mess with the large mouth bass as much. but fish that are 5" or less turtles can decimate a population if left unchecked.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve always eaten snappers in a soup with a lot of brown gravy. I love it. You used to be able to buy it canned or you could order it in restaurants. I’ve eaten sea turtle in the Caribbean in a kind of stew. It’s really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Im surprised you cant keep and eat them. Where i grew up there were no laws covering snappers
    It used to be like that all over.

Around here, they haven't been making new ones very fast and are getting kind of rare,
    and I think they're protected now.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    At the local pond the old Dino snapper knows to hangout where I fish. If I throw back a pan fish he immediately kills it as it hits the water. Kind of interesting to watch.

3 years ago I think some kids released some pet turtles into the pond. I kept catching red eared sliders and painted box turtles. Really pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

“De eats mos’ anyting In Louisiana….. and makes mos’ of taste pretty good……”

Jerry Clower (or should have)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used to catch a lot of turtles when I lived back east. My best method was to wire together some 4" diameter logs, into a square about 4' across. Put woven wire formed into a basket on the bottom. Drive spikes on the inside edge, spaced at the distance apart for the size turtles you wanted to catch. Suspend some meat or a fish over the center. The turtles would crawl over the logs to get the bait. When they tried to crawl back out, the spikes would keep the larger ones I wanted in, and the small ones could escape.

For the best tasting turtle, boil the meat and skim the fat that floats to the surface. Then cook the meat however you want.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just catch them on rod and reel. Small treble hook and a chunk of fish. Seventeen to twenty pound mono works fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12