Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A man's got to know his limitations...

Look at the Polaris trike. 2 seater, its not a bike, but way better than adding a sidecar.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Look at the Polaris trike. 2 seater, its not a bike, but way better than adding a sidecar.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Uh, no. I've seen those things as well as the Spyders and others. Not at all for me. Does not feel, look or ride like a motorcycle. Hey it's what you like. I hate Glocks and Goldwings but don't rag on anybody that has one. I even ride with some wingers every now and then.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm like the OP, too crippled up to ride anymore. When I lived on the reservation, I loved putting around on the old trails on a dirt bike. Summer highway riding has been a real hazard for years, due to tourists looking at everything but the traffic around them. I always wanted a Rokon for off road, but that won't happen now.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have a Suzuki DR 650 that hasn't been ridden in several years, jut too hard for me to kick start. It was fun to ride, but was too much bike for me, too tall and too fast, and I could see myself getting easily hurt on it. I started out riding a Honda SL70, and will probably keep my 74 Trail 90 as my last bike. I do like the looks of the recently made Royal Enfield's though, might have to find one of those.

Boolit Buddy
    You just need to get in shape. I'm 71 and still ride. I have 4 motorcycles and enjoy all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I'm only 53 years old, a bit overweight, with bad knees, but still not in that bad of shape.

When I was a kid, I loved riding dirt bikes in the mountains. Later in life, I owned a couple of street bikes, and a dual sport, and loved riding. But, was married and ended up having to sell them.

Now that I'm divorced and can afford a toy or two, I bought a 1994 Harley Davidson Road King in Arizona in January for cheap and have been wrenching on it ever since to try and get it reliable. When it runs, it is comfortable and a blast to ride.

Then I had knee surgery and the doc advised me to get a lighter bike. I could no longer fit in my Honda Pioneer UTV since my knees have to bend too sharp and I am in constant pain now when driving it.

So I sold it and bought a brand new Kawasaki KLR 650, with the intention of selling the Harley and buying an ATV. I thought the KLR would be a fun bike to ride to work on with it's 50 mpg rating and occasionally use to explore logging roads up in the nearby mountains.

I have about 150 miles on it and it scares me. It is "twitchy" on the highway, is loud, buzzy, and unpleasant above 50 mph. It is extremely tall and top heavy. I am 6'2" and 300 lbs and this bike will tip over if you look at it wrong.

I tipped it over on it's first off-road trip up a muddy road. Getting back on the bike. It was literally on it's kickstand on a slight incline and it tipped over when I tried to get on it. Took me several tries to pick it up and I hurt for days afterwards.

Then today, I was on a group ride with ten other people and pulling out from the side of the road, the front tire hit loose gravel and slid out from under me and the bike and I hit the pavement hard. Bike has at least $500 in damage to it, but I was wearing all the appropriate gear and was uninjured.

I came to the realization that I am just too old, too out of shape, and not skilled enough to handle a motorcycle anymore.

Getting both bikes repaired and will be selling them ASAP and getting a mid-sized ATV for slowly exploring the woods.
    I had a similar experience. I grew up in Idaho riding dirt/trail bikes. I am now 64. Bought a TW200 a couple of years ago. Took it out on a Saturday, sold it the next Monday. Wife & I now ride a Polaris 570 Touring and have a great time. Ya just gotta adapt as you get older!
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Master

I am 67 and have owned and ridden motorcycles since I was 15.5 and got my permit. 25 years ago I bought my BMW R100(1000cc's) and I met my wife because of that bike. When I was 48 we had our first kid, and i didn't get to ride much, mostly used the small pickup to take them around. But then I put a sidecar on it and have driving them and myself around in that most of the time since. Now both kids are late teens so i bought a '77 Kawasaki foro them to learn to ride street on, figured knowledge is always good. It is fun for me to ride too, but a bit small as I am 6'2" tall, 200 lbs.
    2 weeks ago my brother gave me a deal I couldn't refuse, and I bought his BMW R100 RS, Paris Dakar model. Holy smokes this thing is tall, and feels way heavier than my old R100, even though it actually weighs the same. I don't think I have even got to 4th gear yet, and I certainly haven't taken it on the freeway. I think I am going to sell it, and stick with my sidecar. Apparently I have become more sensible in my old age, or more afraid of getting hurt, because it just doesn't seem the same as when I was younger and bullet-proof, and bouncing off the roadway just doesn't appeal that much anymore! I do like the sidecar, much more than I thought I wold, and prefer it greatly over those 3 wheeled Can-am type vehicles. Those just don't feel like a motorcycle,where my sidecar mostly does. And I would like to be able to enjoy some grandkids later without being all busted up. i do have 2-3 '64 Hondas I want to restore in my garage, but I think I am done with big street bikes.

Banned
    when i was 20yo, my right knee had an accident. i was on top of the ground and i hopped into 4' ditch. my right foot went one way and the rest of me went another way. the right knee didn't know where to go and it stretched out the ligaments and tendons. i was told, that i'd be better off if i would break the ligaments and tendons. anyway, i was between a passing out and throwing up when i attempted to stand up. i figured at the time i was good and let me lay there and be a part of the waterline fill. it took me about 3 months to take off my crutches and walk again. when i was about 30ish, my right knee said "no, you will not run" and it planted me on my face.

back in my younger, 25yo, i drink ALOT and i would get into fights quite frequently. it was around midnightish and i was drinking and for some reason or another, my wife(now ex-wife) made me mad and i punched out the window of my screen door, instead of my wife. the shattered glass was up and down my yards, i later measured a piece of glass 52 feet from my door. anyway, for some reason, i look at my arm and i noticed i had a gash on my right forearm. i looked at it and said, "well, a Band-Aid isn't going to cut it". so to the hospital i and my wife go. it was 27 layers of stitching and i don't know how many stitches it was. now i have a scar on my right forearm and ever since then the "accident" has calmed me down.

i was 39yo when i had my stroke. i had to learn how to walk and talk(not so good) AGAIN. 4 days were spent in intensive care(i was out of it) and for 3 months i was in the recovery room to learn how to walk/talk. 12 months were spent at home and going to rehab center. in my mind, i was going back to work, but it ain't happenin. i can see me now, a crippled up guy that can't talk like a normal person is going to a heavy equipment operator and laborer in the water/sewer mains and buildings.

i've learned what my limitations are, like can't drive an atv, flinching from gunshots (took me about a year not to) and other things. i drive a Polaris Ranger and i have a cane and a shovel handle for the woods. i walk about a mile on the road, 80-100 yards in the woods. coronary artery disease is prevalent in my dad's family. my dad had it and he had a heart attack from it. oh, i got pleurisy from the stroke. the stroke just keeps on giving.

and i'm only 49yo. "suck it up, sponge lips" as my drill sergeant used to say.

Been on a bike (pedal) since I was 5 years old.
    Rode all over the country side, jumped creeks, mail boxes, rows of kids, jumped a car once. All kinds of stupid stuff. Would crash and get skinned up real good and walk it off and all was well.

Teenage years graduated to mopeds, 125 dirt bikes and up, had a blast and never broke a bone!
    Early thirties, started a family, sold the bikes!

Late forties started messing with bikes again, had to keep up with my teenagers!

When I turned 49 bought a retro 50's pedal bike and added a 2 stroke engine to it, what a blast, fast and fun, loved that darn thing.

At 52 took the little motorbike for a short ride around town, probably doing about 35 mph when a stray dog decided to try and bite my front tire, woke up a day later in ICU, busted up hip and very sore noggin!

Once home from the hospital and able to walk on my own I sold the wrecked motor bike, and every other motorcycle I had left!

I decided I was better off on 4 wheels than on two!

Limitations, yep I learned the hard way!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123