Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A man's got to know his limitations...

Boolit Master
    dont know your exact situation but maybe if you can find a good swimming hole, lake or pool, and swim at your own pace its one of the best way to try and get back into shape at your own rate. seems a shame to give up bike so quick after all you went though to get the one you wanted. im dealing with my own demons right now trying too raise funds for a new tractor or lawn mower to take the weeds on about 20 acres of my property., right now I'm slowly chipping away every day or so at some with weed eaters. a life changing accident back in October broke my neck, but I still try to get out and do some shooting with light loads and swing the weed eater a little bit. I figure if I give up trying it will all go downhill real fast. a good swimming hole is about the only thing I miss about living where I do.

Boolit Master
    Yep. It's hard to face reality. My dad is 80, diabetic, can't hardly walk, yet keeps talking about buying a new camper to use for fishing trips and hunting trips. He desperately needs to be in a retirement home with CNA's. Every time I try to bring it up, he says he will never move to town and will commit suicide before doing so. Just sad.

I am 3 years older than your Dad, pre-diabetic and overweight AND---I agree with his position!

I used to split wood with a maul and sledge and wedges. Did that until I was 62 and got a log splitter.

I still split the wood to heat my shop with a maul, wedges (only build a fire when I want to work out there).

Our minds think we are still in our 20's or 30's but our bodies know better. It does not help that many of us work behind a desk, and eat too much.

I'm retired, but ---you are right!

I agree with square bute and all the other guys...wait till ya get to 70! Was working cows two days ago and about to the point where they will have to go except 4 or 5 and then they will be our meat source. I said all this to advise that ATV's and UTV's are not certified for paved road use. We have one ATV but day to day I have a Kawasaki Mule, 2 seater, and I love it. It hauls wood, calves, barbed wire....and is yet to buck me off of it. Of course it wont go 50 but I'm not into racing....got to the age that old and slow is a good thing! Paul

My oldest son is 62 and he just got rid of his ATV and bought a Chevy Tracker. Good for the bush and road legal.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

How many have said, "If I knew I was going to live so long, I would've taken better care of myself!"
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    How many have said, "If I knew I was going to live so long, I would've taken better care of myself!"
    You can do that all you want, but sometimes genetics kick in and there you are with a heart attack and seven stents at 54 and then an implantable defibrillator at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    I had a KLR 650 too. I got rid of it because it was too tall to kick start without standing on the pegs.
    I’m thinking about one of the Yamaha TW200 dual sports. Low seat height and electric start.
    Fastlady has a Yamaha XT250. You might want to look into this one before you buy the TW... Life long rider here also. On and off road. As I get older (64), my bikes keep getting smaller and lighter. I'm currently riding a Suzuki DRZ400. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190831_071957.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	301310
    Deplorable infidel

Bad knees are a problem for ya with a big bike.
    There's several older fellas around here that have moved over to trikes.

I keep putting off building one myself.
    So far, I have the welder and a fresh Chevy 350 for it.
    But that's as far as I've gotten on the project.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I just can't do a trike. I will put a sidecar on the Roadglide first.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Well, you can take your best friend with you, and don't have to worry about tipping over.

I am your age a little taller and was about your weight 285 - 290. I dropped 40 lbs two yrs ago over about 6 months. My balance is way better and I have so much more energy. I am not as strong as I was at 285. I think the reason I have more energy is a sleep better than I did, my wife says I do not snore anymore. My feet and legs also feel better than they did.

Boolit Master
    I'll be 70 in a couple of months, but still race a Top Fuel Drag bike. May be my last year or two, but not ready to give up just yet. Still in reasonably good health, but will have to put someone else on the bike eventually. Several of the guys I race with are within a year of me and are still competing. Someone said getting old is not for the weak and I can certainly attest to that. I still do a lot of the things I have always done, but can't do the real heavy stuff anymore. That's why I have a fork lift.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a DR 650 Suzuki for ten years and sold it last year. It is 50 lbs lighter than the Kawasaki but power is close. I decided I wanted to be around to finish raising my grandkids.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have ridden motorcycles since I was 14. I will be 74 in August and about 3 years ago bought the bike I have wanted for a long time. I bought a 1994 BMW r 1100 rs. I'm not giving it up until I can't pick it up. Off road I ride a 1973 Honda TL 125. This bike is pure magic on the mountain trails. I will probably get a dualsport of some sort but it will not be larger than a 250 and more likely will be 125 to 175cc.

I worked as a motorcycle mechanic for about 8 years and I saw more people buy bikes that were over their skill levels than bought bikes they should have. The bigger dualsports are to heavy and geared to high in first to work well on rough trails.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 06-17-2022 at 01:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I was out on the Harley Road King tonight and I will be 70 in August. Your health is your wealth.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear your woes!

I'm 59 and ride a Honda NC750X known as the most boring motorcycle ever made! However it's deadly reliable, gets between 65 and 80 mpg depending on how it's ridden, and will get you a ticket on any road in America. My ridding buddy has a Honda CTX700 and is 74! Your limitations aren't you, your limitations are the bikes you picking. There are several lighter Japanese crusers that are great if you need low seat hight.

my bike survived my divorce
    I have it for 22 years, it is a honda nx650
    The difference between you and me is that I don't take her to the mud, hahaha
    I have traveled with her throughout the south of Argentina, doing kms of roads in poor condition, of loose stones
    I am 47 years old and a right shoulder surgery a few months ago,
    I understand that everyone knows their limitations
    If you like to ride a motorcycle, it may be a matter of finding a smaller and easier to handle

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Sorry, I'm 75 & still hauling ass on a 1200cc Harley & ain't about to stop any time soon.........

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A side car is not a bad idea.

Moderator Emeritus

Someone needs to make a trike with a small cab for bad weather trips... a small engine for gas mileage... I keep looking at those 150cc scooter trikes(tradition chopper style) especially with these insane gas prices. Something for trips to the doc or pick up a few groceries... those 50 mile round trips are hard on the wallet right now!

I plan on buying a Miata when I get to this point.
    Deplorable infidel

I understand somewhat how you feel and am sorry that you're no longer able to enjoy riding.

My dad rode motorcycles for probably close to 60 years. He raced them in the California desert and made much of his living servicing them.

Last year, at 84, he sold his last one. He hadn't ridden it in several years.

He's still in quite good shape and works on various projects at his homes in Washington and in Arizona. It's surprising how much he's able to do and humbling to see the skills he's acquired over the years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast