RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A man's got to know his limitations...

Boolit Master

A man's got to know his limitations...

I'm only 53 years old, a bit overweight, with bad knees, but still not in that bad of shape.

When I was a kid, I loved riding dirt bikes in the mountains. Later in life, I owned a couple of street bikes, and a dual sport, and loved riding. But, was married and ended up having to sell them.

Now that I'm divorced and can afford a toy or two, I bought a 1994 Harley Davidson Road King in Arizona in January for cheap and have been wrenching on it ever since to try and get it reliable. When it runs, it is comfortable and a blast to ride.

Then I had knee surgery and the doc advised me to get a lighter bike. I could no longer fit in my Honda Pioneer UTV since my knees have to bend too sharp and I am in constant pain now when driving it.

So I sold it and bought a brand new Kawasaki KLR 650, with the intention of selling the Harley and buying an ATV. I thought the KLR would be a fun bike to ride to work on with it's 50 mpg rating and occasionally use to explore logging roads up in the nearby mountains.

I have about 150 miles on it and it scares me. It is "twitchy" on the highway, is loud, buzzy, and unpleasant above 50 mph. It is extremely tall and top heavy. I am 6'2" and 300 lbs and this bike will tip over if you look at it wrong.

I tipped it over on it's first off-road trip up a muddy road. Getting back on the bike. It was literally on it's kickstand on a slight incline and it tipped over when I tried to get on it. Took me several tries to pick it up and I hurt for days afterwards.

Then today, I was on a group ride with ten other people and pulling out from the side of the road, the front tire hit loose gravel and slid out from under me and the bike and I hit the pavement hard. Bike has at least $500 in damage to it, but I was wearing all the appropriate gear and was uninjured.

I came to the realization that I am just too old, too out of shape, and not skilled enough to handle a motorcycle anymore.

Getting both bikes repaired and will be selling them ASAP and getting a mid-sized ATV for slowly exploring the woods.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Yep I feel your pain! Both literally and figuratively! You know you’re not doing your body any good when your orthopedic surgeon is number one on speed dial. It’s hell getting old and it ain’t for sissies. You are right, as I have learned many times the hard way, “man’s gotta know his limitation”
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I know how you feel. I have an old Moto Guzzi that I haven’t ridden in probably ten years. There’s a young guy who has been bugging me to sell it to him for years. Maybe it’s time to part with it, but in a way it will be parting with a part of my life.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I know how you feel. I have an old Moto Guzzi that I haven’t ridden in probably ten years. There’s a young guy who has been bugging me to sell it to him for years. Maybe it’s time to part with it, but in a way it will be parting with a part of my life.
    Yep. It's hard to face reality. My dad is 80, diabetic, can't hardly walk, yet keeps talking about buying a new camper to use for fishing trips and hunting trips. He desperately needs to be in a retirement home with CNA's. Every time I try to bring it up, he says he will never move to town and will commit suicide before doing so. Just sad.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Us "old guys" like to keep on writing checks in our minds that our bodies can no longer cash. You'll live longer on an ATV. Prayers for you dad.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    ...was married and ended up having to sell them..
    Remember those days? Jeff Dunham, Ventriloquist, as "Walter", said it best, "You can run to the end of your chain and bark!"

Now, feel those knees, neck, and back? You've been off the chain and wandering around again "unsupervised". GOOD FOR YOU! ENJOY the ATV!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

It is always a tough realization to come to.....that we are wearing out.
    Younger days I rode enduros with Pentons (that long ago, yes) then KTM's.
    That was then.......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Getting old is not for sissys.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to split wood with a maul and sledge and wedges. Did that until I was 62 and got a log splitter.

Our minds think we are still in our 20's or 30's but our bodies know better. It does not help that many of us work behind a desk, and eat too much.

You are lucky you did not get hurt and are smart for realizing it is time to "shift gears".
    Don Verna

Getting old Sucks. Only thing that sucks worse is the alternative.

Find a hobby for your brain and your hands that leaves you sitting on a comfortable chair is my advice.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with square bute and all the other guys...wait till ya get to 70! Was working cows two days ago and about to the point where they will have to go except 4 or 5 and then they will be our meat source. I said all this to advise that ATV's and UTV's are not certified for paved road use. We have one ATV but day to day I have a Kawasaki Mule, 2 seater, and I love it. It hauls wood, calves, barbed wire....and is yet to buck me off of it. Of course it wont go 50 but I'm not into racing....got to the age that old and slow is a good thing! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

You make a good case for proper equipment when riding. Glad you are ok.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Bought a new Honda 420 in 2007, Still have it, 2nd gear is my friend but when I really want to fly I hit 3rd.
    Pretty sure it has more gears but I don't use em!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep. It's hard to face reality. My dad is 80, diabetic, can't hardly walk, yet keeps talking about buying a new camper to use for fishing trips and hunting trips. He desperately needs to be in a retirement home with CNA's. Every time I try to bring it up, he says he will never move to town and will commit suicide before doing so. Just sad.

What you/your dad may be -- I so think it in my case -- is what I've referred to as "hopeful immortality". Hey -- a lot of people start selling things off at mid- to later- ages, knowing they're going to die and wish not to burden those left behind with the disposal of their "stuff". Others have the time of upcoming death nowhere on their plate! Through the years I've known several people who were figuratively, but actually killed by their (car) driving privileges being removed! Not that many months after, either...
    I am a firm believer that mental state has a most important role in longevity -- and, as long as a person has a want or a vision -- even though any/all else know it is not in any way a real possibility -- they have something to continue living for. Their infirmities from accident and or old age are a passing stage -- they WILL recover and again function as before.
    ...um... I bought a Stihl chainsaw last year -- to complement more than a dozen others I have -- and can now not "walk" without two canes... hmmm....
    geo

Boolit Master
    Time does catch up to us. I rode until age 70 and discovered that I didn't have the upper body strength to pick up my Gold Wing if I needed to. My mind said I could still ride, my body said NO. It was a sad day when I watched the new owner ride it away. I figure I rode for 58 years. Not nearly long enough.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    The gas tank from my Yamaha dirt bike is resting on top of an iron pile. The tank is the only thing left of it. My son drug in a couple of decrepit crotch rockets a few years ago and then abandoned them. Pieces and parts of both are now resting peacefully underneath a cedar tree.

I am more than happy to be driving something with windows that are closed, and the A/C functional.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a KLR 650 too. I got rid of it because it was too tall to kick start without standing on the pegs.
    I’m thinking about one of the Yamaha TW200 dual sports. Low seat height and electric start.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 06-16-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post

What you/your dad may be -- I so think it in my case -- is what I've referred to as "hopeful immortality". Hey -- a lot of people start selling things off at mid- to later- ages, knowing they're going to die and wish not to burden those left behind with the disposal of their "stuff". Others have the time of upcoming death nowhere on their plate! Through the years I've known several people who were figuratively, but actually killed by their (car) driving privileges being removed! Not that many months after, either...
    I am a firm believer that mental state has a most important role in longevity -- and, as long as a person has a want or a vision -- even though any/all else know it is not in any way a real possibility -- they have something to continue living for. Their infirmities from accident and or old age are a passing stage -- they WILL recover and again function as before.
    ...um... I bought a Stihl chainsaw last year -- to complement more than a dozen others I have -- and can now not "walk" without two canes... hmmm....
    geo
    Yes, And as Paul can tell ya, He dicsovered after his Father passed, that his Moto had been " If one is good, five is better" - Apologies Paul - I just had to tell the story one more time. I bet I use that at least once a week. But I don't know for sure cause I can't remember
    Last edited by square butte; 06-16-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Us "old guys" like to keep on writing checks in our minds that our bodies can no longer cash. You'll live longer on an ATV. Prayers for you dad.
    UTV's are more comfortable on the back. I have a Polaris Ranger 570-4 crew. My back/neck can't do an ATV.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    “Youth is waisted on the young”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast