RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: A Real treat today

Boolit Grand Master

A Real treat today

Had a treat today. Went out to the back of the property and the mullberries are ripening, picked a handfull for a snack. Very small this year but very sweet.

Boolit Master
    I’m waiting on my Mustang grapes and wild plumbs to ripen. Got a lady lined out to make jelly and give me a few jars of it.

Boolit Master
    we have two mulberry trees in our backyard. The turkeys love to feed on them. Woodchucks do, too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    we have two mulberry trees in our backyard. The turkeys love to feed on them. Woodchucks do, too.
    Growing up (back when all T-shirts were white) my parents owned a residential lot a block from our home that had a big mulberry tree near the back. The lot held a garden and a battleground for kids playing war games. The wounds of combatants were identified with mashed mulberries. I’m pretty sure our mulberry stained T-shirts started the tie dyed clothing craze.

Wish we could grow them here…..luv ‘em! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

We are not going to get many wild berries this year. The deer, turkey and quail are not going to let them get ripe.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Thanks , I had to go out and check my tree .
    Still a few days yet to go on mine before any real picking can be done .
    I like to do a cobbler myself . With some vanilla blue bunny

Eating mulberries is where I learned what a worm tastes like....
    I love Indian plum and Mustang grape jelly, my wife's work disappears quickly.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    We made marmalade last year with kumquats, but it has long since disappeared.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was a kid, there was a mulberry tree just outside of the back door. I spent a lot of time in that tree. I ate a lot of mulberries and discovered that when they were green and still hard, they were good ammunition for my slingshot.

When I was in graduate school, and lived in the student housing, there was a large mulberry tree that grew wild in the alley behind the building. I had read in a book that wine could be made from mulberries, and being a starving student I decided to try. I made up two or three gallons of wine and let it ferment. At first, it was terribly sour. I just kept tasting it. Later I found out that all the wine I made had gone through malolactic fermentation, including the mulberry. That is the bacteria that eats malic acid and turns it into lactic, which is a lot smoother. After about six months I started letting friends sample it, and they all asked if they could buy more. The mulberry tree is gone now, but they grow wild in parks and hedgerows around here, so I can occasionally make another batch.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    We used to have a massive mulberry at my childhood home; it came up volunteer around the time my dad passed away (he would have cut it down), and it grew at a rapid rate. We would pick them and make jelly, but every few years, a huge flock of cedar waxwings would accumulate when the berries were ripe and clean off the tree in a few hours, then they would perch on all of the other trees and crap everywhere. I’m sure there were thousands of birds in the flock, and we’d have purple poopers everywhere for a week or so. The house, the cars, the driveway etc., all had shotgun patterns.

Boolit Master

We call them Sand Plums up here in KS; they make the best jelly I've ever eaten.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was wondering if jelly was made from them. They are one of the sweetest berries I’ve eaten.
    I can still remember being crapped on when climbing in my tree during berry season.

Boolit Bub
    I pick mulberry and wild black raspberries annually. Freeze them and at some point during cooler weather we make jelly.....best jelly I've ever had!
    This year,so far, the berries are thick, big and juicy!

Boolit Master
    Here in south Louisiana mulberries usually ripen in May. I have two young trees, less than three years old. But this year I picked enough berries to make six pints of mulberry jam. Great stuff.

Been picking raspberries this week. A couple of gallons and probably another half to finish them off. The blackberries are looking great, gonna have a good crop and with all the rain, pretty good sized berries. Jelly and jam.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk