Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live if health and money wasn't a problem?

I'm good. Built our 1810 Federal period reproduction,pretty much by myself goin on 40 years ago.... nicer now than when new.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Heck, My wife would force me onto a catamaran island jumping in the Caribbean sea all the way down into Belize island jumping snorkeling for lobsters and good eating fish. Being served funny drinks with tiny umbrellas on top by well endowed native women, Smoking Cuban cigars.
    Sometimes a wife can be tough on a fellow?

Boolit Master

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest in Idaho, so it is what I am accustomed to.

Beautiful mountains, low humidity, not too bad with bugs, no rattlesnakes, mild summers with temps rarely reaching 100 degrees and winters being occasionally nasty, but survivable. Hunting and fishing opportunities that the world envies, along with a conservative government and a life of freedom and fun.

Then California discovered the area in the 80's, and again in the mid 2000's. Now, we have the same weather, fishing, bugs, humidity, etc. But, the home prices have tripled while wages and income have stayed the same. The median home price here is now $400k while the median family income is $51k.

The cost to rent a space for a trailer home is now $600.

I bought my modest home in a small town for $115k in 2014. I now get regular letters from realtors asking me to sell it for $250k cash to them.

Traffic is up, crime is up, and going to Walmart is a study in mental illness. I seriously pack a pistol whenever I go to the Walmart due to how sketchy it has become.

If I suddenly had $20 million dollars, I would buy 100 acres about 40 miles East of here on the edge of wilderness and build an off-grid home and shop. I would spend my days shooting my guns and working on old muscle cars.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I knew for the past 40 years CA was not in my cards for retirement after 32 years in the Fire Service. I had a nice 2100 sq, ft. home in the Sierra foothills and a incident with a deer I legally killed in ID and brought home to have CA DFG confiscate ,write me a ticket, arrested, booked in Calaveras county the day of my court appearance . Because of CWD that has never appeared in CA. and deer cross borders everyday in CA .But they had done 900 new laws that year and stupid CWD law passed that you couldn’t bring deer from another state into CA with any part of the brain or spinal column. 2 years probation, $650.00 fine, House was put up for sale that day, sold in two weeks,loaded up two 24’ UHauls and moved to Wyoming. Only a town had been selected, no house,no living arrangement made until I got here . Unloaded everything into storage and camped in the mountains until I found a home.
    Worth every inconceivable twist and turn to get here in the best place left on earth. God made it happen with perseverance and faith .

Boolit Master
    Plus one on that Gary!
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

10,000 acre estancia in Uruguay.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Born and raised by Lake Ontario, NY. Love the country there. Moved to Maryland for a job and collected a couple wives there (current 30 year marriage is the best!). Both NY & Maryland are liberal pits and given the chance I'd move to Montana or S.D.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I do live right where I want to. Northeast Mississippi.
    I saw this thread, and my first thought was Oxford, Mississippi, in NW Mississippi. Lifelong Arkansan, but I do like Oxford.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I think it takes two places, at a minimum. A summer/fall place in the Rockies - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and a winter/spring place - Texas, Tennessee, Florida, maybe some other Southeastern kind of place.

Boolit Master
    I never see myself moving out of Tennessee. With over 35 years of living in Alaska in my rear view mirror would love to have a summer house on the Kenai. Move up in April and leave first part of October.
    East Tennessee

I'd be very happy to live close to a 2 mile desert shooting range, with at least one good gunsmith an hour away in any direction.

Moderator Emeritus

I am lucky. I love where I am at, 81 acres, no neighbors and a gun friendly state. My back prevents me from any type of distance driving and I manage the winters, don't like them but I manage. GF and I both have family 2-4 hours from here. I do want a pond though. My lil Kubota BX23s not really up to it but keep saying someday. Now if the offer was to fix my back, that is another story...

Boolit Master
    In my military career (20 years) have lived in NJ, SC, MO, and KS for two to three years in each. Also had short stays (2-5 months) in AL and MD. Was born and raised in PA and retired in WI. All had good points and bad and in places like NJ and MD bad went to worse. Four years ago moved to Eastern KY to get out of the cold in WI. Winters can have cold spells here but not the negative numbers like WI and summers are not bad, really hot days are few and my house has AC. Only real negative is most of my family (kids and grandkids) are in WI but its an easy 12-13 hour ride so not too bad. The grandkids are still small and suspect I will move back at some point, but not in a big hurry. Have 3.75 acres with a one acre pond and property abuts the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest. Neighbors are not too close but near enough and KY is a 2A friendly state with good hunting and fishing and the range I belong to is 11 miles away. Plenty of places to eat, a good selection of stores, and medical care nearby in an emergency and a VA clinic about 50 miles away for routine care. Added bonus is property taxes are low and if over 65 they deduct something like $38,000 from your tax assessment.

Right where I live……Wyoming! With Alaska a very, very close second place!

It took some sacrifices to get here. A big cut in pay, move my family 1800 miles from our home in Louisiana, learn an entirely new lifestyle, and many other challenges, the worst of which…..a divorce and my kids moving back! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 06-16-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I know the perfect Utopia, but I ain't telling anyone!

Boolit Master

A tropical island with very few people and NO GOVERNMENT!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

WELL, since we are dreaming. I want my house siting in the middle of a piece of property, that when I let loose with the Ma Deuce sitting on top of my house I don't have to worry about it leaving my property!!!! That would be sweet. Can you imagine letting loose a belt of ammo........okay back to reality!!!!!!!

PS if somebody has that please don't tell me.

Ma Duce, very cool! I had the pleasure of firing the German MG-42, very exhilarating!

Moderator Emeritus

Summer in Montana at least 50 miles from any city over 20,000 population. Winter in alternating years in Southern Chile/Argentina, New Zealand, Western Australia, Tahiti and Costa Rica. I would miss ice fishing but should keep busy enough fishing southern waters.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Anywhere but CA, IL, NY
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast