Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live if health and money wasn't a problem?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Anywhere but CA, IL, NY
    You forgot to add NJ. Left there after 57 years.

Boolit Master

If I won the lottery, there's only 2 places I would want to be. Divide my time between 2 small comfortable homes. One located in Chino Valley AZ and the other located in Coleman TX. For those in the know you know why.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    If I won the lottery, there's only 2 places I would want to be. Divide my time between 2 small comfortable homes. One located in Chino Valley AZ and the other located in Coleman TX. For those in the know you know why.
    I used to live in Chino Valley and found it a bit trashy and ugly. But the best 870 gunsmith in the world lived there and did some work for me on a shotgun.

No idea what is has to do with Coleman, TX. Both appear to be small towns in the high desert.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    If you like snow...

Alpine Creek Lodge, Denali Highway is on the south side of the Alaska Range in the Clearwater Mountains, by the Susitna river. Their base snow is ten feet deep, then it snows every day. The Susitna valley becomes a smooth white snow machine playground by February for hundreds of square miles. The lodge is 40 miles off-grid, hydro for electric, coal for heat. Sign out front says free coffee. I vacationed there every chance I got, was only 260 miles from my house. It's a long winter, but gets an early spring on the south faces. The ghost town of Denali was one of the first big placer mines, all smoothed over now, the miners have moved up the creek. Alpine Creek Lodge has a claim on Windy creek, sluicing gravel for nuggets. The Clearwaters are closed to motorized hunting because of the sheep and I could not afford horseback bear hunting, so we didn't hunt above 4000 feet. It's wild, remote, a dozen people on a hundred miles of dirt road.
    Lately I would rather grow beans in February.

Where I am right now is perfect; but I wouldn't mind a Casita in Cabo San Lucas and a summer home in the Rockies.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I kind of like it where I am. Real winters, real summers and beautiful spring and fall. And halfway to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Given enough funds, I would probably be riding motorcycles all over the planet and be extremely difficult to locate at any given time.

Boolit Master

I grew up in West Tennessee, went to college in East Tennessee and worked my first 4 years after college in Lansing, Michigan. Transferred back to West Tennessee over 53 years ago. Been retired over 16 years. We have burial plots here and don't plan to leave, no matter what.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Given enough funds, I would probably be riding motorcycles all over the planet and be extremely difficult to locate at any given time.
    me too
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm home.

You probably are also, if you think about it. There's lots of snow to be moved in Alaska!

DG
    In some parts of Alaska, you don’t worry about moving snow. You just keep walking on top of it until spring.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm too old to acclimate to the harshness of extreme winters. Spent time in Edmonton AB and found it to be an awesome place save the cold, snow, etc. My place is somewhere between the Red and Rio Grande. Hunting and fishing abound. I hope to spend my last days with a rifle, single action and a good knife.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I wish I was back in Vermont.
    Far North East VT on a 1,000 acres. If everything go's to heck I can fish, hunt, have a garden, cut firewood for heat right out the front door.

I've been all over the world and in every corner of the US. Nothing like home but I think that's the same for quite a number of folks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    I lived in Flagstaff several years during and after college. I thought the weather and people at that time were pretty darn near perfect if a bit on the dry side. Winters a little snow but not cold. Summers pleasant, easy drive to Phoenix, Vegas, National Parks etc. In the winter if you got cold an hours drive would have you in the 80's. Then the Californian's moved in and ruined it. Jacked up housing and land, rudeness, crime, got on local boards and started regulations etc. About the same everywhere they landed.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    If you could live any place where would it be? I would love to live in Alaska, been there a lot. Wanted to move there in 1968 and Uncle Sam sent me Greetings and while serving meant my first wife and we ended up with 3 kids and 7 years Navy. When she died I wanted to move but had a 16 year old girl, 13 year old girl and 4 year old boy. Was offered a high paying job so stayed in the lower 48. Second wife was ok with moving, but wait till we retire. Now my health forces me to live where there is good health care only minutes away. Since snow and/or cold isn't something I can work with it is Indianapolis summers and Gulf Coast winters. It's sailing either place, no snow to get moved and temperatures 50 and above.
    IF money were no object, regardless of health, it would be Destin, Florida. It would make SWMBO happy for at least 15 minutes. and that would be worth it!

For myself, I could live about anywhere, though I'm about decently happy here in the OKC metro even without a decent workshop building. Only thing I'd need to make things perfect was for my wife to feel better, and have a real shop building. Unfortunately, money IS a factor, so that's not likely, either. Ah, well. Life is a beach. Everything looks great, and then suddenly you get sand in your shorts!

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Far North East VT on a 1,000 acres. If everything go's to heck I can fish, hunt, have a garden, cut firewood for heat right out the front door.

I've been all over the world and in every corner of the US. Nothing like home but I think that's the same for quite a number of folks
    Ah the north east kingdom beautiful territory. I grew up in Essex jct and spent my weekends roaming the woods near Underhill. Boy how I miss it.

Id like a change of scenery every once in a while... "Endless Summer".

107 meter Motor Yacht Andromeda, all the comforts of home.

With helo.
    Last edited by Bwana John; 06-19-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Ah the north east kingdom beautiful territory. I grew up in Essex jct and spent my weekends roaming the woods near Underhill. Boy how I miss it.
    When I saw Essex Junction, I thought Mojave Desert!!!
    http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex,_San_Bernardino_County,_California

Like it right where I am.

Last Sunday, skeet league in the AM, visit a long time friend in the early afternoon then drove up north to a buddy's place for Sunday evening. Beers and bonfire.

Monday went to a big bowling pin shoot @ Central Lake just to watch a couple hundred shooters kill bunches of bowling pins and not a single human. Still confused about how that could happen.
    Then checked the buddy's deer hunting spot. Would've have gone out on his boat but there were storms forecast, so back to his place for more beer and bonfire. And the storm never materialized. Bummer.

Tuesday was head back south to pick up a Winchester 74 I had re-blued, then Sporting Clays with a different buddy. We've only been hanging around together since 1970.

Wednesday was steel falling plates at gun club #3 then lunch with another buddy. Then harass the wife. I still like harassing the wife after 39 years.

Thursday was back to the Sunday gun club for more tall tales and a little skeet in the morning, met my nephew in the afternoon for more sporting clays.

Friday was back road cruising on the Sportster, stopping @ 3 different buddy's place on the loop. Went out to a nice supper with the wife.

Saturday yard work for 2/3 of the day then 1/3 back on the bike with just one stop for a beer with a friend.

Today was trap at club #4, then out on a brewpub and restaurant cruise with the wife and daughter for fathers day.

Been to 44 states, worked in 33 of them plus Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico and China. So I have seen a little bit of the world.

Not sure I could find anyplace where I could have more fun.
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-20-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

Boolit Master
    In spite of the politics of the Peoples Republic of Washington, right where we are. We call our place our piece of heaven for a reason.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast