Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning from the muzzle

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Cleaning from the muzzle

For nearly all my life I have heard that cleaning from the muzzle, will damage the rifling at the crown and therefore ruin accuracy.

My question is: have any of you ever experienced this? I have some rifles and ALL my revolvers that have been cleaned from the muzzle exclusively and I am unable to determine ANY degradation in accuracy, nor can I see ANY physical damage to the muzzle, crown or rifling at that point.

Personally, I believe this is largely an old wives' tale which has survived all these years because some dolt managed to booger up the muzzle in some fashion and blamed it on the cleaning from the muzzle because he was afraid to admit that he did something stupid.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Your thoughts?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

It is a known fact that cleaning from the muzzle will damage the rifling, just look at all the old military rifles that had the barrels
    replaced because of muzzle cleaning.
    I've seen many russian 91-30's that had the barrel counter bored by the importer it remove the damage.
    If cleaning from the muzzle I use a muzzle protector
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

I think a lot depends on how the cleaning is done and especially the cleaning rod material. Most milsurps used very hard steel cleaning rods. A softer brass or other materials and careful use would probably take decades of shooting and cleaning to do harm.

Boolit Master

Any time I clean anything from the muzzle I use a carbon fiber cleaning rod.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Well, it should be stated that "improper" cleaning from the muzzle will damage the rifling/crown.

Using a crown protector and keep the rod straight (minimizing contact with crown) will keep from damaging or wearing the rifling at the muzzle.

Improper cleaning from the muzzle can/will damage the crown and on down into the barrel.
    Dirty Steel rods without a guide will do it pretty quickly too.
    Muzzle guides and plastic coated rods will prolong the life of the end of the barrel.

I have a well worn Confederate musket that the end of the barrel is clearly oval shaped from not having a guide.
    And, no, it wasn't crushed. It has thinned out on the sides by the abrasion of a ram rod going in & out a ga-zillion times.

Even in the old days, some high end octagon barrel BP rifles had a custom guide that came with them.
    The arms maker cut a inch or so off the barrel, put little pins in it, and matching holes in the muzzle.
    When using the ram rod, you'd put the end piece back on to protect the crown.
    After the rod was pulled out, you'd take it off and keep it in your pocket.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I've seen several Winchesters with worn muzzles, all of which had the trapdoor for the cleaning rod in the buttplate. Those barrels were soft steel and most any type of metal rod would cause wear. Marlins were/are easier to pull the bolt so some folks may have taken the time to remove it so they could work from the rear, but I suspect most people were in a hurry and cleaned from the muzzle.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    After I posted I realized I should have stated, excluding ML guns. Of course, I can imagine the damage at the muzzle in that instance, but I dare say that an average day at the range with a muzzle loader and then the pita cleanup afterward would cause as much wear, especially since a lot of ML barrels are not CM but a relatively soft steel, as years and years of cleaning a "modern" gun from the muzzle.

"Most milsurps used very hard steel cleaning rods. A softer brass or other materials and careful use would probably take decades of shooting and cleaning to do harm."

I find that comment interesting since I was also taught the soft rods, in particular aluminum, were far worse because the grit in the bore had a tendency to imbed in the softer material causing the rod to act like a lapping rod. Back when the world was young and I was shooting bench rest, the debate raged in regard to using a coated rod or a bare hard steel rod. Admittedly, the rifles were cleaned from the breech, but the argument went, bare steel allows a larger diameter equating to a more rigid rod, thereby minimizing rod flex within the bore, or for the coated rod adherents, they believed the rod was going to flex regardless so use a non-imbedding coated rod to protect the bore. Pay your dollar and take your choice.

All that aside, my question is, although probably not very clearly presented, HAVE YOU PERSONALLY experienced accuracy degradation in a gun that you have routinely cleaned from the muzzle?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I was also taught the soft rods, in particular aluminum, were far worse because the grit in the bore had a tendency to imbed in the softer material causing the rod to act like a lapping rod.
    Good point.

I'm a big Dewey rod guy, and always wipe off the rod each time it comes out of the bore just for that reason.

EVERYONE!

Exactly ^^^^ Even a hardened steel rod will get covered in grit because of powder and oil residue. Any rod, from the breech or the muzzle should be wiped clean after each pass . I have dealt with hundreds of milsurps and many of their hardsteel cleaning rods are knicked up pretty well. Clean rod, muzzle guard and a bit of care and you should be able to avoid damage.

Boolit Master
    All that aside, my question is, although probably not very clearly presented, HAVE YOU PERSONALLY experienced accuracy degradation in a gun that you have routinely cleaned from the muzzle?
    I may be wrong but I doubt anyone has intentionally run a direct comparison test of the two methods, which would make a good DOE. Take two identical rifles, fire control groups then start shooting some amount of rounds - clean one from the muzzle and one from the breech, repeatedly over time. Fire more groups for control after so each group of shots. All of this might take a while and not manifest itself until thousands of shots are downrange - but it could be done.

Instead, we observe old rifles, military or black powder or whatever, which have measurable wear (sometimes at both ends of a barrel). Some still shoot well but others don't - regardless, we have no way of knowing how they shot when new.

To answer your question - no, I have not personally experienced accuracy deterioration in rifles cleaned from the muzzle. I have switched to Bore Snakes for most of my barrels so it may be a moot point now.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Fire more groups for control after so each group of shots. All of this might take a while and not manifest itself until thousands of shots are downrange -
    I'd think it would relate more to how many times and how violently a cleaning rod went up & down it.

I wouldn't bother with doing a bunch of research,
    but I sure do pay attention to the crown and look for visible damage to the crown when buying a used rifle or handgun.
    I've only seen a couple over the years, but I have noticed excessive wear on one side of a muzzle or two
    where the bluing & 'shine' on the lands & grooves was different from one side to the others.
    I have no idea how they'd shoot since I didn't buy them.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd think it would relate more to how many times and how violently a cleaning rod went up & down it.

I wouldn't bother with doing a bunch of research,
    but I sure do pay attention to the crown and look for visible damage to the crown when buying a used rifle or handgun.
    I've only seen a couple over the years, but I have noticed excessive wear on one side of a muzzle or two
    where the bluing & 'shine' on the lands & grooves was different from one side to the others.
    I have no idea how they'd shoot since I didn't buy them.
    Agreed. Just because it could be done doesn’t mean it should be done…that axiom applies to all sorts of things in life.

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer empirically unless tested but I doubt anyone wants to pursue it.

Boolit Buddy

I nicked a crown years ago when cleaning from the muzzle. It did not affect accuracy, but left an impression. I always clean from the breech if possible and use Dewey rods.

Boolit Grand Master

HAVE YOU PERSONALLY experienced accuracy degradation in a gun that you have routinely cleaned from the muzzle?
    Yes in reverse. I have shortened or counterbored numerous barrels on military surplus rifles that had very visible cleaning rod damage. None of these shot very well with damaged muzzles. After removing the damaged area they all shot noticeably better.

For normal applications cleaning from the muzzle with a bore guide and a quality rod you will not damage the bore. When you get into the bench rest crowd most will not pull a patch or a brass or nylon brush back thru the muzzle.

Personally I only run hardened steel rods. Laps are always made from a softer material than what is being lapped. Reality is if the rod doesn't touch the bore it can't do any damage.

GI jointed steel or jointed aluminum rods are the worst and IMHO should only be used for emergencies.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    GI jointed steel or jointed aluminum rods are the worst and IMHO should only be used for emergencies.
    I think the govt. buys those because they are more durable than an Alum. or plastic one.
    And if a barrel gets damaged, you just hand it back to the armory, and they give you a new one.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s the steel rods that have done all the damage to military surplus guns. I like cleaning from the breech, because all the crud goes out the muzzle and not into the receiver and possibly other parts.

Boolit Master

I've heard this, and have taken great care to not damage the crown on my personal rifles, however, I spent 21 years in the military, sent thousands of rounds down the barrel and cleaned both from the breach and muzzle end, not to mention getting rodded on and off the range, all with those G.I segmented rods, with little to no wear I'm aware of. My first duty station I kept a rifle for about 6 years, they get gauged yearly, and only had to have the barrel replaced when I bent it on a jump. After that the longest was three years, but never wore out another barrel, and I've made my gas tube cherry red, many, many, times.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Most milsurps used very hard steel cleaning rods.
    I also think this is the main reason.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I think this is leftover dogma from the days of soft barrel steel, corrosive primers, even black powder and military surplus weapons. Military recruits are not always carefully instructed and they DO NOT always take care when cleaning their personal weapons. Before non-corrosive primers, firearms were cleaned frequently, BUT MAYBE not carefully and many were cleaned from the muzzle rather than disassembling, particularly all the lever guns. Some believe it is easier to re-crown a barrel, rather than fix a throat damaged by cleaning. My Savage 99's cannot be cleaned from the breech without removing the barrel or using a pull-thru. Care in cleaning and proper equipment is more important than muzzle or breech. What about all those cartridge single shot rifles that use a false muzzle for the bullet and a breach seated cartridge. A rod was pushed through the bore every shot so care and technique/alignment is more important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast