MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawnshop find , caliber was unknown

Pawnshop find , caliber was unknown

Stopped in at one of the few pawn shops in my area and found this Japanese Type 99 . It was Sporterized with a Lyman Peepsight. Pawnshop did not know for sure what caliber it was. $131 out the door. Got it home and of course got on Google and was reading about how a lot of the rifles had been converted to 30-06 . Sure enough 30-06 dropped right in. Did a test fire and bolt opened perfectly and brass look great. Loaded up some Speer 180 grain round nose .311 bullets. Great rifle , Locks up like a bank vault. Chrome lined bore . Probably take it deer hunting this fall . FBC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010D0551-1C47-4BA3-8DC6-D195A77395BA.jpg   BA3BB241-1936-42AC-81C9-52B9C9EEF66A.jpg   F512DEE7-9172-41BB-8441-F8FC24A80618.jpg  
    Last edited by Ferryboatcaptain; 06-15-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Looks like you got yourself a deer killer. The Arasaki rifles are about as strong as they come. I really like the chrome lined bores also. james

Pretty awesome score. Thanks for sharing that.

Boolit Master

Great find. Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Definitely a good find at a good price.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks like you wore the Lottery for the day! Congrats!

Boolit Master

Now that's a score!!!!! Great job!

It is a shame it was sporterised, With the Mum intact it would had have collector value. They don't make them anymore.
    Anyway, you got a nice rifle, hope you enjoy it.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah the intact mum means a WW2 vet more then likely brought it home from an island somewhere

Boolit Buddy
    The intact mum is awesome!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congratulations! Good find. I have I have a stock 7.7. Unfortunately, the flower was ground off like many that were brought back as souvenirs.

Boolit Master

Looks like a mum on the receiver. Does that indicate that the gun is a "bring back"? If it could tell stories.....
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes when the Japanese surrendered, one of the conditions was to grind the mum off the rifles as signs of respect, so if you have one that still has the mum it’s about a 95% chance it was a bring back from the islands, unless some guy sent one home from the docks before grinding it. I’ve got 5 type 99s that all have mums and they all shoot good, all the way from pre war to LATE war last ditch rifles, I think they all shoot good

Boolit Buddy
    Great find.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Looks like a mum on the receiver. Does that indicate that the gun is a "bring back"? If it could tell stories.....
    If you wanna hear stories I’ve got several, I have one I got off of a flamethrower in WW2 and he hit a bunker with it and then beat the Japanese to death with it, breaking the stock and leaving teeth marks, I’ve got one that has 60mm mortar fragments in the stock from a “very lucky hit” and I’ve got another last ditch that was taken off of Okinawa from a solider who only had a single shot left and missed…. When they searched his body he only had that one round that he fired

Crazy stories… all 5 of mine I got off of vets from the war

Boolit Master

Somebody offered me some once-fired 7.7x58 brass. It looked a little funny until I set it next to a .30-06 and it became clear. Rifle was re-chambered and was fired with 7.7x58 ammo. Left the neck a little short but otherwise didn't seem too big a deal.

Boolit Master
    if you want to make a few bucks I could round it up to $150? Great find!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

If it had a 30-06 reamer run up the chamber, as was common, without setting back the barrel, you have an extra large chamber base. You will find that the brass expands and will not fit a 30-06 size die. First, a piece of scotch tape around the base of the cartridge before you chamber it centers it in the chamber so it will expand evenly. Second, get a size die that neck sizes and have fun reloading it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    hey!!!!! i have one too!!!!!!!! i bought at an auction 2 or 3 years ago for the great big price of $70-80(i think)

it is reamed out to '06 and the front sight was a rem-win-i-don't-what-it-is put on, Redfield aperture sight on the back and a whole lot dust (it was in the bore too). it also needed a aperture part(thing that does the peep sight). i cleaned it out and took it to my gunsmith to make sure it was alright to shoot and then i put her safe. i think that JES needs to rebore it......

Boolit Grand Master

Load those with .311/.312 jacketed bullets and they'll probably shoot just fine. Or with a 314299 or NOE 316299 and do as well with cast. 30-06 load data will be just the ticket.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast