Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC cast bullet tips

6.8 SPC cast bullet tips

One of my upcoming projects is to assemble an AR15 in the 6.8 SPC cartridge. I haven't checked the twist yet on my barrel, but assuming that it's 1-10" it should be ok for cast bullets.
    If anyone uses cast unless in their " baby .270"- Please share your thoughts.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The NOE 279-124 is designed specifically for the 6.8 SPCII . The SPCII is the same but without the SAAMI throat and leade , it's slightly longer and shallower taper . Which is more in line with the original pre Rem SAAMI drawing .

Barrels are mostly 1-10 , AR performance does them in both 1-10 and 1-11 .

I use an alloy that is about 75-25 WW and lead tamper seals that appear to be 1-20 and pick up copper during the clean up . The finished bullets are WC and start at 18 BHN and after 4 yr hover around 20 bhn . They have a terminal impact function more like a 14-16 and a barrel function more like 22-24 . I used my modified Darrs lube and Hornady 270 checks through a .280 Lee sizer .

I had a Wilson or Mossy barrel on the gas gun , 16" , carbine gas , 1-10 , A2 profile and fittings with M4 extension . H4198 provided my desired 2200 fps MV but was in an awkward place with the gas/chamber pressure and made function issues in 2 rifles . The conclusion was that the chamber pressure was high enough for the brass to still be holding but not high enough to over come it . The load functioned well through the work up but wouldn't reach the hold open instead holding on the mag follower as I worked up it would miss even the follower . In hind sight there was a bit of debris that may have interfered with gas flow , but I wouldn't think in 2 barrels .
    I switched to H322 at 23.3 gr in FC brass with a #41 CCI . Groups hovered around 2" after the free float handguard and low profile gas block were installed . The 30 drilled A2 flash hider trapped deposits between it and on the crown , that caused spontaneous accuracy issues . Having the step/baffle removed from the FH fixed that . Velocity however was only about 2090-2110 and wouldn't make my needed 1000#@100 yd .

Opportunity knocked and a 20" rifle gas ARP 5R heavy barrel was dragged in kicking and screaming . The load above increased to 2240 fps MV and delivers 1.25-1.5" at 100 . Because I had another rifle I had a lot of that load loaded and will leave it as is until my daughter gets it down to a point where I can work the 4198 load again for the ARP barrel and load 500 or so again .

Details that worked for me .
    FC brass is SRP and in the gas gun seemed cleaner .
    I had a custom mildcat in 7×6.8 so the RP LRP was saved for that and easy segregation .
    S&B required about a .2 load reduction and dropped to about 2040 fps MV to get the groups back to the FC levels in the Wilson/Mossy barrel . I will eventually try it again in my Granddaughters ARP equipped Stevens 200 again for brass segregation .
    Yes I used jacketed data start loads to get started .
    The ARP FH both the A2 style and linier type have a different through design and don't trap the crown fouling . 5/8-20? Not the 1/2-20 of the A2 style .
    Yes a Win LRP will slam fire I didn't have that with the CCI 300 .
    All of the loads should have been in the general area of 42-45kpsi but I don't have the test equipment to proof that .
    Both ARP barrels are closer to 1-11 than 1-10 and heavy profile .
    The NOE bullet is 130 gr ready to load and I load to 2.226 OAL for all . That runs freely in the blackened AR Stoner SS mags , and the Stevens center feed .
    I don't crimp and other than the initial uniforming trim it hasn't been needed in 5 cycles .
    I anneal before I size every 3rd loading for the gas guns , 2nd for the mildcat .
    Just wait for the RCBS and up dies to come in . The Lee is fine but ...... well it's a feel thing . I "fixed" feel in the Lee set to accommodate the .007 up size for the mildcat .

I think that's all .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Anyone got a mold that is gas checked for that?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Anyone got a mold that is gas checked for that?
    I have a Saeco #270 for the 270 a 140gr long bore ride nose gc 2 cav for sale if your interested.

This bullet shot very well in my Rem 700 with 1-10 twist
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I'll have to look at my 270 in my 6.8 SPC data to see if I can use that sounds like a nice mold

Thanks, Harter66 for the info. My barrel is 20” and marked 6.8x47 5R- is that ARP made?
    Also I was wondering about the Lee C277130- is it suitable for the 6.8 nosewise and lengthwise?

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a lyman 130 grain cast PC over with rem LR primer 19h4895 sized .278

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks, Harter66 for the info. My barrel is 20” and marked 6.8x47 5R- is that ARP made?
    Also I was wondering about the Lee C277130- is it suitable for the 6.8 nosewise and lengthwise?
    I can't say in either case ........ I don't recall the Savage barrel having any markings and the gas gun I'd have to take apart to look .
    I want to say the 6.8×47 was Black Hole Weaponry , the 5R rifling isn't an exclusive to one maker .

The Lee bullet wasn't available when I did the 7×6.8 for paper patch in a Carcano action . The NOE bullet was an instant success at 130 gr , the RCBS 27-130FN taught me to weigh a new to me mould as it cast at 141 gr and a load that should have been 48-52kpsi opened up a large primer pocket to about .240 . The Carcano handles gas and spray better than you'd think .........twice .

Look up https://www.68forums.com/forums there is piles of information there , load data , the throat/leade variations , and the specifics of the 6.8×47 ....... There's probably almost as much information there about the single cartridge and platforms as here about casting good bullets for pistols .

This starts medium remedial but is the whole trip with a bargain bin Kit rifle and the quest to reach 2200 fps MV for a minimum 1000 ftlb at 100 yards . It includes all of my data , alloy , sizing , and platform information , both good and crash and burn .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I've bought the Lee 277130 mould and cast, pc'd and sized a few for testing. They look good.
    We'll see what's what soon.

I LOVE the 6.8SPC II

I don't shoot cast thru mine, but really like the cartridge.

this is my 3rd build.

Wilson Combat 16" LW hunter.
    M.I. MLOK free float
    JP trigger
    NIKON 1-4x German #4

I like H322 with 110-115gr Sierra or Hornady J-words

This is what the AR15 should be

older pic with PRI carbon Fiber

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

I just loaded a few of the Lee bullets ( the ones that I DIDN'T overbake) over 3031 and I am encouraged. At 40 yards 5 shots landed in one inch on the trial run. The bullets average 136grs with PC and gas check. I'm using Lee's .278" sizer.
    It's working it's way to 100° today, so I'll get back to it later.
    Please excuse the pic. A new phone is on the way.....

My 6.8 project was going to be for a cast boolit cartridge made by full length sizing 30-30 brass and trimming the neck to the desired length. Too many things to do and had to let her go.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Cartridge/shell with bullet/boolit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Yup.. in a couple forums I am in, people call them tips or heads.. many of the new reloaders don't understand 'projectile' or that a bullet is a part of a loaded 'cartridge', along with the case, primer and powder.
    I can remember at shows during 2020 when ammo shortages hit, people were standing in line trying to buy boxes of bullets.. from the reloading tables and the salespeople were trying to tell them that that's not what they wanted.. I remember hearing some people saying that they at least want something. sheesh... I saw people buying ammo that didn't fit their gun 'jusgt so they had something' like buying 38spl when they had a gun chambered in 9x19.

that's the mentality today... that and body piercings.. multicolored hair.. skinny jeans , man buns.. and guys who can't change a tire...

Yes, even without a bullet, boolit, tip,head or pill- a case still has a head.
    That's where the Headstamp is......
    I made some more 278-135 this morning. This brand new mould works perfectly. Thanks, Lee.

Boolit Master

I wondered, upon seeing the original post heading, if TBG was more of a idgit than I had previously thought. Nope, after careful reading I realized he was asking for tips/recommendations on using cast projectiles in a particular cartridge. I got no use for idgits that call them heads or tips.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

My 270 Savage (250/3000 necked up) would be about the same case capacity as your 6.8. The profile is the same as yhe Lyman 311284!
    i load a Lyman 130gn boolit to about 2,500fps in a 1:10" twist barrel.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    I wondered, upon seeing the original post heading, if TBG was more of a idgit than I had previously thought. Nope, after careful reading I realized he was asking for tips/recommendations on using cast projectiles in a particular cartridge. I got no use for idgits that call them heads or tips.
    It's funny how that throughout my youth, i was a pretty decent Wordsmith. I think that the Texas Sun has melted enough gray matter to sail that ship...
    Your use of the word idgit tells me you are at least my age, haha!
    My siblings and I called each other that because Mom would whip us if we called each other an "idiot"
    "Domash" worked sometimes, sometimes not- a slip in pronunciation would backfire on you.
    It's all fun and I agree about "pills and heads"
    Earning the idgit moniker again, I overbaked my first batch of 277 135s resulting in some bent(with a flat side) bullets. I remelted those but ended up with a couple of "visible run out" cartridges. Even so, a 5 shot group at 100yds was 2-1/2" for four shots with a flyer opening the group to 4"

Boolit Buddy
    for the 6.8 spc, Lyman 280468, sized .278 and powder coated, over 25 h4895 with a rem 9 1/2 primer shoots great in my AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast