MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: HP38 and 45 Colt

Boolit Mold

HP38 and 45 Colt

So I have HP38 and I知 glad to have it. I知 looking at the Lee Manual (2nd Ed).

For a 250grn lead boolit (I am casting 255) it call for a starting charge of 5.8 with a max of 7.1.

I知 wanting a good whitetail load within 100 yards.

6.5 grns is right in the middle.

What do y誕ll think?

Boolit Master

I can’t vouch for the particular powder load. About 15 years ago I loaded apx. 4-500 45 Colt and 44 Specials using HP-38. I loaded various weights of home cast and even some 230 gr hardball. Been way to long ago to recall the powder loads. About all I can attest to was satisfactory results comparable to my previous use with both calibers using Herco.

Those loads will kill deer. I would be more concerned with developing an accurate load. Oh, and practice, practice, practice!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A great deal depends on what gun you are shooting these in. For a Ruger Vaquero, post-1920 Colt New Service or the modern Italian clones of the Colt SA you can safely exceed SAAMI MAP to approximate .45ACP pressures around 20kpsi or 8 grains W231, TiteGroup or HP38 with 250- grain bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    We use 5.6/5.8 tightgroup for the same boolits. We get 750/790 fps out of asst. single actions. Rifle with same loads are plus or minus 1000 fps.
    We have shot some HP-38 but did not get any accuracy in 45 colt cases until we got near the book max. I'm at work and don't have my load notes but I would start at 6.0/6.2 as a starting point. You should see accuracy start to tighten up around 6.5/6.6.
    The faster powders gave us a wider range of acceptable accuracy, such as Bullseye, Tightgroup, Red Dot, Clays, 700X etc... all under 6.0. Keep in mind we were looking for the cheapest loads that kept us inside our accuracy standards which is all five boolits touching at 20 yds give or take out of the handguns. Minute of swinger. The most accurate handgun loads were also the most accurate rifle loads.
    I can make HP-38 or Unique work just as good or better, just takes a little more powder.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    A cousin has two Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt; so I got a set of dies and scrounged up some brass. I tried to use a powder that I did not normally use in my other pistol cartridges so I tried HP/38. For low power loads it was abysmal: it is a huge case developed in 1873 for Black Powder - maybe 40 grains. Win 231 was not designed for moderate loads in a huge case like that. In a 10" TC Contender. Learned pretty fast to lower the barrel, down then raise up, cock and fire. Position sensitive: HP/38
    5.7 = 626, 372, and 382 fps
    5.8 = 400, 531, and 659 fps
    5.9 = 693, 711, and 744 fps
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

From the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 :
    45 Colt - Colt SAA revolver , 5 1/2" bbl. length , 250 gr. cast SWC , HP38 powder :

starting load - 5.7 grs. @ 735 fps
    maximum load - 6.7 grs. @ 852 fps

Your proposed load of 6.5 grs. sounds like a good place to start , velocity should be around 800-850 fps ...assuming you are shooting a Colt SAA with 5 1/2 " bbl .
    RCBS also has loads for Ruger and Contender only ...and there are loads for 45 Colt Rifles...but you didn't see fit to share any of that information with us and I'm not good at guessing or mind reading ... so you got some Colt SAA data .

If Outpost75 says you can safely go up to 8.0 grs - post #4 ...he would know ! Start low and work up in your particular gun . That would be an effective hunting load .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-15-2022 at 07:24 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

…I would limit your shots to 50 yds or less with those velocities, and with the limits of handgun accuracy for most shooters (Unless scoped and rested). With a lever action carbine, up velocity with the appropriate powder to 1,000 fps and you’ll shot right through them with any 255 gr hard cast Keith SWC.

I’ve hunted Northeastern Whitetails for nearly 50 yrs until moving to Nevada…

Have fun filling the freezer and report back on your hunt later this Fall. Good luck.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 06-20-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    MrKSB, please report back with the type of firearm you will be using these loads in. Only then can we give the best advice.

Boolit Master
    You might want to Google John Linebaugh's article about shooting Win 231 which is the same as Hp-38 in .45 Colt in revolvers. GF