Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Safe load for shaved Webley

Boolit Mold

Safe load for shaved Webley

I have a shaved Webley Mk VI and I was wondering what a safe load for it. I know not to use factory 45 auto, but I was hoping someone here could give me a safe handload for 45 auto 230 gr fmj. I know lead is better, but I do not have access to lead bullets, and I don't have the facility to set up a casting area.

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to the forum!

For a Mk VI, a historically safe load (=/< 11,000 psi) has been 5.0 gr of Unique under a 260 gr lead hollow base boolit in either 45 ACP or 45 Auto Rim cases.

A source of these boolits is Matt's Bullets, specifically the 260 gr hollow base round nose of 0.455" diameter.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...capunnjssjv962

I have used these boolits for years over 5.0 gr of Unique using 45 Auto Rim cases in "shaved" Mk V and Mk VI Webleys without issue. They are very accurate.

HTH,

Noah

ETA: "lead hollow base"
    Last edited by Noah Zark; 06-14-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Master

If you can get lead bullets.. I'd surely go for them.. even if you have to buy them in small lots.

Do you have trail boss powder?

I like to duplicate 455 loads.

3.5 grs of Titegroup has worked for me. But also using lead, at 265gr hollow base
    When going with jacketed, you might want to measure your cylinder throats. They can vary in size. Running jacketed through tight throats to a big bore may not give you the accuracy you'd like to see, and pressures you don't want either.

Boolit Grand Master
    To start, for what you're looking for, try 3.5 grains of Bullseye, Clays, Titegroup, or Reddot, or 4.0 grains of Green Dot or WW-231. 4.5 grains of Unique, or Universal also will work. These are very light loads and you need to be sure that you are pushing the bullet out of the barrel. I urge you to consider purchasing a suitable lead bullet, cast or swaged, rather than use the FMJ you inquired about.

My own Commercial 1920's Mk VI gets a steady diet of 3.8 grains of Red Dot under the RCBS 45-230CM, though I have also experimented with the 454-309 and the 452-423.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	301242
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-15-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Ditto on lead... Way lower pressures.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If your jacketed bullets can be pushed through the cylinder throats with hand pressure only, they are safe to shoot. Not if they are tight!

Do not exceed 4 grains of Bullseye with 230 FMJ in .45 Auto Rim or ACP brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    If you can get lead bullets.. I'd surely go for them.. even if you have to buy them in small lots.

Do you have trail boss powder?

I like to duplicate 455 loads.
    Yes, I have Trail Boss.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    If your jacketed bullets can be pushed through the cylinder throats with hand pressure only, they are safe to shoot. Not if they are tight!

Do not exceed 4 grains of Bullseye with 230 FMJ in .45 Auto Rim or ACP brass.
    Ok, thanks! I have Trail Boss for this. I also tested your suggestion, they can't be pushed through. Is there a slightly smaller bullet size you would recommend? I found this https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-diam...bac455230.html, but I am not sure if it would work since the .45 auto didn't
    Last edited by CollectorOfFineAntiques; 06-16-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAE390D9-5A60-4B82-9CE0-12FF76FC378E.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	301331
    A .45 acp target load is what you want with a .454 cast bullet. Here’s a few of mine. A swell revolver.

It is fairly common for top-break Webleys to have cylinder throats tighter than groove diameter. This works OK with soft, hollow-based bullets, but I had DougGuy hone my Mk VI to uniform the throats to .455 and accuracy was much improved. I use .454 cast bullets.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I might take it to my local gunsmith to see if he can widen the cylinders. Cast bullets are hard to get where I am, so fmj is still easier. Im not concerned about accuracy, I just want it to fire without damaging it.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are in the US--and not in New York, HI or AK--you ought to be able to order cast boolits from any of a bunch of companies. I can recommend Montana Bullet Works and Acme from personal experience with their products but there are many others, including Buffalo Arms, who list .455 bullets.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by CollectorOfFineAntiques View Post
    I might take it to my local gunsmith to see if he can widen the cylinders. Cast bullets are hard to get where I am, so fmj is still easier. Im not concerned about accuracy, I just want it to fire without damaging it.
    Unless your local gunsmith is highly skilled, has done this before and has the proper tooling and equipment, I recommend instead that you send it to DougGuy. He uses a Sunnen hone which does the job with greater precision, concentricity and much better surface finish than reaming. Work is top notch, very affordable and with fast turn-around.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 His work is impeccable. I heartily recommend him for chamber throat work, as well as barrel work on bottom feeders. you can pay more, but you can't buy better.

Boolit Master

I'd shoot .454 cast round ball over trail boss before I would do to much to it.

Cast bullets for that should be VERY easy to come by. heck.. unsized .453 would likely be ok.. especially if the throats are tight. Swaged bullets or knurled.. ( cannelure tool too ) could help as well. Lots of options with cast lead.