Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone River flood

Yellowstone River flood

New look for the Gardner, MT to Yellowstone north entrance road after 6-13-22 rain event. 1.73" of rain at north yellowstone Lake.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJ0tuaEXKU
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Less than 2" doesn't seem like that much rain fall.
    The ground out there must not let much soak in,
    and there must be some really really large area for run off to flow from into the river channel.

Here, it takes about an inch before you even see puddles.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Park officials said in a statement that “unprecedented amounts of rainfall” caused the flooding. I am not what the total rainfall was and how the melting snow packs factor into this. My guess it was much more than 1.73".

Years ago I was in the area when we had 11 inches of rain in 3 hours and it was nothing like this.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-14-2022 at 01:18 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Makes you think, we drove that road twice just a couple weeks ago. Hate it for the folks that are trapped.

Boolit Buddy
    Best thing that could happen to Yellowstone! The 'real locals' won't have to put up with those pesky 'tourons'. I Quit going to Yellowstone when the 'minons' starting blocking the roads with the 'bear and buffalo jams'. The critters are going to love the peace and quite this summer! Gully washers are the 'way of the West'! The geology of the west is water sculpted! Building roads next to a water feature is batpoo stupid!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Mother nature angry! Any trout in there?

I've only been there once and was great. They park the car wherever it lands grab the camera and start running. I was one of "them" lol. Seems like a one of a kind place though.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    Wonder where the fish go during a flood stage?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

We are so dry here in NM that we are having the largest Forest Fire in state history. I sure do wish some of that moisture would drop down to us for a few days. It has not rained at my house in going on six months.

Boolit Master
    Rapidrob,,
    I have been in NE NM a few times. Is that fire anywhere near the NRA Whittington Center,, or Cimmaron?

Reports are that snow melt contributed to the runoff. With the rock base not much can soak in, if we don't catch it in reservoirs it goes to the ocean.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Lots of videos on YouTube showing the effects of the floods.

A combination of some hot days prior to the rain (some places received more than 6”) compounded the situation with snow melt and excessive rainfall! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Right now the river basin snowpacks in Montana are all well above normal. Check out the link.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...mal_update.pdf

All winter long the %'s were well under 100% except in the NW corner which were normal or a little over, (Kootenai, Flathead & Lower Clark fork)
    These High percentages you see now are from snowfall that fell the last couple months. That snow has not had the many freeze/thaw cycles that harden up the earlier snow. The snow making up those current very high numbers which is due to good moisture and cool enough temperatures to pile up snow. that snow is just setting there ready run down the cricks at the first warm weather, especially if it is warm, heavy rain. The reason the water runs off is because the terrain is steep and water doesn't soak into rocks ( These are called the Rocky Mountains for a reason) 1.76" rainfall meaured down on the flats is also probably equal to several times that up in the high country. So the cricks rise, then the river rises and the gradients of these rivers gives that water some real power.

Boolit Master

Rivers were already swollen from the melt than thr additional rain and snow it melted.

Boolit Master
    never been to Yellowstone but it seems 2" rain in an afternoon to be a lot like here in the mountains it leads to flash flooding. water runs off the mountains into the valley real quick.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Never been out that way, Grounds probably too hard for me to walk on anyways.

Boolit Master
    YouTube wouldn't load, no pictures, didn't happen.

We had 28 inches of rain in 24 hours approaching 2 inches an hour at times, no space between rain drops. Left ruts in the road too big for 36" NDT tires. Put 30 foot trenches through Hwy1.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

My town flooded this morning. I live up on a hill, so was fine, but felt awful for the folks that live along the river.

Attachment 301261

Attachment 301262

Attachment 301263

Attachment 301264
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The fire is not close to the Whittington Center. It is still going strong.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/05/20...million-acres/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Best thing that could happen to Yellowstone! The 'real locals' won't have to put up with those pesky 'tourons'. I Quit going to Yellowstone when the 'minons' starting blocking the roads with the 'bear and buffalo jams'. The critters are going to love the peace and quite this summer! Gully washers are the 'way of the West'! The geology of the west is water sculpted! Building roads next to a water feature is batpoo stupid!
    Someone else gets it too.
    The issue isn't the rain as much as it has been so cool we are just now seeing spring runoff. 2" of warm rain on top of 6' of snow will move whatever is in it's way.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast