Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Burr Grander

Boolit Master

Talking about it will probably jinx my grinder and cause it to die tomorrow but I've used the same Cuisinart to prepare my daily ration of Kenya AA for almost ten years and it's still going strong.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    We have an OXO that does a good job. Don't grind fresh for every pot, do whole bag, 10-12-16 ounce at a time.

Boolit Master

I just found this thread and appreciate the info from those more experienced in the art of coffee. The better half puts up with Keurig because of the convenience. I prefer drip from the Cuisinart(our 2nd). I just ordered a hand crank grinder as recommended by GhostHawk and a bag of beans. We'll see how this works. I'm sure DougGuy is right about the commercial grinders but I won't live long enough to justify the cost of one of those.

I've been doing fairly well just using Folgers Black Silk but have a small amount of some Italian coffee brought back by son and daughter-in-law from a trip to Italy. It does taste good but not sure I could find equivalent when this is gone.

I keep seeing references to French press. After trying French roast Keurig pods that tasted too much like Starbucks, not sure that is any better than my Cuisinart.
    John
    W.TN

French press is more of a extraction method or type of brewing. It uses a more coarse grind of coffee. It consists of a glass pitcher with a metal screen that you push down like a plunger. Start by heating some water on the stove, put the ground coffee in the pitcher. Pour the water on the coffee when it reaches 195 degrees then let it sit 4 minutes and "press" the grounds down.

You can use any coffee with a little more of a coarse grind.

French roast refers more to how long it was roasted for. French roast is a darker roast meaning it spent a longer period of time in the roaster.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on which hand grinder you get, you can remove the handle and chuck the spindle in a cordless drill and run it on low speed for those morning you don't feel like cranking by hand.

Boolit Grand Master

My French press is a Mueller and is stainless - after breaking two glass carafes I bought the stainless type. My bean mix is one pound of Colombian dark roast and two pounds of Tanzanian Peaberry medium roast. Dump them in a large pot and mix thoroughly - I buy whole bean. I hold them in glass containers that prevent oxygen getting in and they work well. Right now everything I use except my grinder I got off Amazon.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 06-15-2022 at 07:34 AM. Reason: corrected brand name
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

You coffee mavens might like to hear of a good storage bin for beans or ground coffee. Look at the stainless steel Coffee Gator Canister. It features an air tight lid with a replaceable membrane valve that selectively releases carbon dioxide from inside, promoting longer taste life. I use the medium size which perfectly holds a pound of roasted beans. My Blue Mountain beans come in pound bags with similar valves.

Boolit Master
    having a very serious addiction to coffee im going to have to look into these ceramic burr grinders. never gave too much thought about how coffee is ground. I just know if I dont get my morning \dose the day just won't go to right. I keep a few pounds of Maxwell house, Folgers and a 4lb pkg of bustello jus in case. and found out the hard way to keep alternative brewing methods handy, just in case the old mr coffee gives up the ghost. its strainers and couple spare French presses from here forward.

Boolit Master
    I use Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee and Kenya Peaberry Coffee most of the time. Would like to try Jamaica Blue Mountain Peaberry Coffee sometime but not at about $150/lb. The way I drink coffee I would be broke. The closer the roaster to you most of the time the better the coffee. I started out with Cafe Britt whit seems to roast very large volumes of beans. My wife was going to Costa Rica for her company around 2002-3 so would bring fresh roasted home with her. This started me on very good coffee. She has cost me loads of money doing that.

A blade grinder won't get you the grind you need for Espresso.

Try the Encore burr grinder. It should do the job.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

I've pondered getting a coffee grinder, on and off over the years, but haven't yet. I just buy preground coffee. I'm glad this topic came up. I looked at a few of the threads. Then I thought, maybe I could use my old Vitamix? I've wanted a dry container for the Vitamix, for other things...so I ordered one yesterday. A bit more than I'd pay for just a coffee grinder, but it'll have other uses, so I should be golden.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    If I was a coffee drinker, here is my grinder!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	301297

Boolit Mold
    I use the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder because my friend who's really into coffee recommended it. It's been 2 years, still going strong!!

Boolit Master
    Just bought a 1ZPRESSO.COM manual coffee grinder JX-PRO Series Model: FGJXP2-1409. Very happy with it for 4 days. It is smooth to use and gives a constant grind. Took me 3 pots to get the right grind. My company liked the 3rd pot and all after that. My Mr. Coffee was allowing coffee to fall in the motor and also blow coffee on to the counter. My wife was not happy about that.

Vendor Sponsor

Here's the one that ran all the other "home" units out of the kitchen, save one KitchenAid burr grinder now relegated to grinding spices.

I think this Grindmaster was $180 out of Craigslist with new 4" burrs, I bit and never looked back! Have never regretted one cent of the asking price.

Attachment 301461
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I found a single cup glass, pyrex I guess, French press at Ollies bargain outlet for $9.99 and its been working great. anyone familiar with Ollies they have loads of overstocked returns and reconditioned stuff. I'm just not ready to pay $150 for something that plugs in the wall that may or may not last.

nice score on the grindmaster those cost about $1000 for new one

I have a coffee grinder that dates back from the 1800s, as a lad I used it to grind shell corn for a geriatric American Saddlebred horse who was a cherished member of the family, oh how I miss her!
    I still have that coffee grinder at age 71 and it instills fond memories every time I look at it.
    I am sure it would grind coffee every bit as good as it did when it was brand new.
    I no longer use it as I now use the new-fangled K-Cups brewer, but I will never part with it.

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a blade grinder and decide to go to a burr unit don't chuck the old one! Run some oatmeal thru it to clean it out then use to to grind spices, mine gets used a lot for bulk black pepper if I am making something that needs a lot(like my 1 pound batches of BBQ rub). And that oatmeal I mentioned grinding? I use oatmeal turned to flour in meatballs and meatloaf. Makes for super moist meatballs/meatloaf!

Boolit Master
    oatmeal meatballs, in stead of bread crumbs, gonna have to give that one a try. I almost bought some ground beef a couple days ago but not at $5.99lb I'll wait till there is a sale

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    If you have a blade grinder and decide to go to a burr unit don't chuck the old one! Run some oatmeal thru it to clean it out then use to to grind spices, mine gets used a lot for bulk black pepper if I am making something that needs a lot(like my 1 pound batches of BBQ rub). And that oatmeal I mentioned grinding? I use oatmeal turned to flour in meatballs and meatloaf. Makes for super moist meatballs/meatloaf!
    It also works great to grind dried Rosemary. Haven't had to use it with other herbs yet, may try it with the Sage.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast