MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Burr Grander

Boolit Master

Coffee Burr Grander

My coffee burr grander gave up the ghost today. I used it for drip pot and French Press. Wife is talking about a cappuccino machine so I will need to grind for that machine also. What is a good replacement grander.

Boolit Master

"Cook's Illustrated" magazine suggested a blade style grinder, shaken while operating to give the same grind as a burr type for cheap.
    That's what I do and it works very well.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

Who's Beans you prefer?

Boolit Master
    just made semi annual trip to same club for big bags of members mark columbian supremeo beans. they are my favorite, ground each morning with about the least expensive walmart electric grinder. almost as good as the sello rojo my friends would bring back from Columbia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Who's Beans you prefer?
    I often buy dark roast Sam's Club or Trader Joe's.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Kyocerra ceramic burr grinder. It's pretty decent, but it's a hand-crank situation. It's time consuming and kind of a pain in the ass for day-to-day use.

Vendor Sponsor

I can tell you from previous experience if you want a GOOD grinder that grinds consistently, isn't full of plastic parts that create tons of static, and puts out very little fines, get a commercial grinder, Bunn or Grindmaster, my Grindmaster has 4" burrs, and grinds perfect retail canned coffee looking grinds with almost zero fines. Craigslist, Marketplace, Ebay, you can usually get one for somewhere near 150-200 bucks and it's the LAST grinder you will ever need to replace for regular grind coffee. Blade grinders are a poor choice.

An espresso grinder can cost you 3x as much as a commercial grinder, the home models are staticky junk.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    We use a 100 year old cast iron and wood coffee grinder at our house. I think it still does a fine job.

Boolit Master

I have five years on this blade grinder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It grinds pretty fine, perfect for drip coffee (I use an old Gevalia BCM-4C to make 12 ounces of coffee). I tried one of the FarberWare percolators recommended by DougGuy and found that, using the same amounts of water and coffee as I use in the drip maker, the coffee came out about half strength. So, I want back to the dripper.

The grinder is quite sound and of good quality, in spite of the price. I did lay in a spare.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I tried one of the FarberWare percolators recommended by DougGuy and found that, using the same amounts of water and coffee as I use in the drip maker, the coffee came out about half strength. So, I want back to the dripper.
    What perc did you get? 134? the little 4 cup? None of the percs will have a decent brew cycle if you don't fill them with water, cold water. 1/2" down from the bottom of the spout for the 4 cup model, and coffee you fill the basket to about 1/8" below the stem in the center, you will have not good coffee, but GREAT coffee. Using the ratio you use in the drip machine is not a good comparison of the abilities of the percolator, and I would not expect robust brew out of it.

Until you try it using the measurements I just posted in the above paragraph, you don't have an accurate experience. I own 3-4 of those at any given time, I have given away 10 or so to friends for wedding gifts, house warmings, etc, and they all love them. I just got one from ebay for $34 and dropped all the pieces in the lye bath I clean cast iron in, and filled it with lye solution and left it a week or two. Pulled it out today and washed it all off, it is SPOTLESS inside and out, even inside the tube and the washers and spacer around the bottom where no cleaning utensil can reach, now it looks brand spankin' new.

This one, will make excellent coffee especially when they are this clean.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-13-2022 at 07:11 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Yeah, Doug, a 134, the very one you recently called out to us on ebay. It is indeed a little beauty. If I follow your instructions, I will use 2 to 3 times as much coffee (Jamaican Wallenford Estate Blue Mountain) as I do now and there is no need, as I live alone. The wee Gevalia works for me to brew the amount of strong coffee I want. If there are ever two of us again, I'll try the 134 as you suggest.

I cleaned my 134 with bronze wool and then several cycles with a vinegar/water mix. It came out spotless, too.

I was in this spot some 4-5 years ago. Happened to be reading through the homemade black powder thread where they were hydrallic pressing pucks. Drying them, break them up with a hammer, then grinding them with a ceramic burr grinder. They even posted a link to which one worked the best.

Well that was good enough for me, I bought one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I went to buy a backup a couple of years ago it was no longer available so I bought this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8&psc=1http://

It is currently 26$ and has been grinding daily since I got it. As it has a flexible top the first one lacked. Keeps the beans from spilling.
    Blend changes with the seasons and the colder it is outside the more I crank.

This time of year 35 with each hand is enough for one 12 oz mug. Winter it goes up over 40.

I love mine, and I like the workout every morning.

All of my coffee gets run through an AeroPress with Metal mesh instead of paper filter. Washed soon as the coffee is poured every morning.

Makes a great cup of coffee that is truly dependable to be the same every morning.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

We use a Cuisinart burr grinder form Target. It was around $80 and grinds from expresso to drip and French Press. It has about 15 settings but it has some static and fines troubles. Otherwise it works good.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I got 25 years out of my Krups blade grinder, I'm on my second one. Curious I opened the first one and the brushes had warn beyond the spring pressure. I stretched the springs and and stashed the first one in case the second one breaks, then I'll have a month or two to find a new one for about $26.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had the bodum burr grinder for probably 10 years now. It has served me well from French press to espresso. I used to roast my own beans and do a French press everyday, but life got busy with kids and work, so I just use ground coffee. I have started doing French press on Saturday mornings again and find the hand operated burr grinder to be more than sufficient.

Boolit Master
    This one https://www.mrcoffee.com/accessories...P_2141812.html will grind fine enough for Turkish! I use it nearly every day.

I don't know if you will be able to find the episode, but Americas Test Kitchen did a segment dedicated to coffee grinders. They compared blade to burr and found the burr grinders to be superior. Sorry, but I don't remember what their recommendation was.

I personally have a Cuisinart pot with the built-in burr grinder.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using a little Mr. Coffee burr grinder for years. I have no idea if they are still available.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by rtyler8140 View Post
    I have had the bodum burr grinder for probably 10 years now. It has served me well from French press to espresso. I used to roast my own beans and do a French press everyday, but life got busy with kids and work, so I just use ground coffee. I have started doing French press on Saturday mornings again and find the hand operated burr grinder to be more than sufficient.
    I've been roasting since January and we really like it. Tried several wet process beans and I keep going back to beans from the Guatemalan Huehuetenago region.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

I like most of the southern Central American beans myself. Guatemalan, Nicoragran, etc. There are some very good beans with awesome flavor.

Wintertime here in Dakota's I add some Pablo's Pride from Amazon to my mix. Just helps me face those minus 20-40 temps without losing my composure.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast