I finished the bolt action 9 MM carbine
    It works well and is about as accurate as I am
    So far I have just been shooting clay targets with it at 100 yards

But now I want to reduce the velocity of the bullet to sub sonic
    While increasing the bullet weight

I want to just use 1 brand of 9 MM brass
    I also want the max case capacity to allow for load options
    As I am limited to a Max OAL of what will feed out of a Glock 17 or 19 Mag

So is there any brand of 9 MM brass that has more case capacity than the others ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Don’t know what powder or how hot your plan to load. Having enough physical case capacity using a fine grain powder like TiteGroup with heavier projectiles shouldn’t create a magazine fit issue. A double charge of TG looks like a single charge of Herco or Unique.
    More to your point, I load Federal 9 mm brass with TG. The amount of empty case left above a 4.2 grain charge is enormous.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 06-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Hi John, I can give you the weight for several brass mfg cases. you may be able to determine from that. All are brass cases.
    C.B.C =62.7grs. G.F.L = 60.1grs. RP=60.8grs. WHA=64.7grs. Speer=58grs. Federal=57.7grs. JAG=58grs USA=60.8grs.
    Norma= 59.9grs. Blazer =57.9grs S&B= 63.4grs WIN= 57.6grs.
    Winchester was the lightest which may = more volume.

Please post a picture of your creation, sounds interesting.

Boolit Master

I would like more info on the rifle!

Boolit Master
    Another vote in favor of seeing the finished project.

Boolit Master

Maybe do a thread in Special Projects!

Boolit Master

I will post more in a day or 2
    As I have been dealing with a migraine for a lot of today

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Boolit Master
    Avoid the cases like maxxtech that have the big step inside, otherwise I haven’t found them to be sufficiently different to matter. 3.2 to 3.4gr TG under a 147gr pill is a nice suppressed load. Same works for 158gr even better if you want to size them down just a hair.

Boolit Master

OK I will try to give the info I can
    Also sorry , but no camera for pictures as cameras do not like swimming in marsh water for a few hours

I can use a bunch of machine tools from time to time
    As I have a friend that owns a Machine Shop , also he is a lurker here as he casts also
    So I designed a simple bolt action

I used a AR 15 9 MM barrel ,Pistol grip , trigger and a bunch of the other internal parts
    The hammer is based off of a AR 15 hammer , but altered to work with the bolt
    I used aluminum to make a "Lower" , but it also includes a extension that the fore arm is screwed to
    There is a rotating safety that looks like on a from a AR 15 but it simply blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin when engaged
    The "Mag Well" is 2 pieces of aluminum screwed to the lower . it uses factory Glock mag release parts
    I found a diagram online of the sizes and layout of a Glock that I copied for the mag well

The action is in several parts , after shooting the carbine some , IMO This was a Bad idea
    A front section that is based off of a Savage action with a nut to hold the barrel to the action
    The action takes a 2 lug bolt with a 2" throw ( this is what fit ) , a Glock extractor and spring were used
    The action has a Savage style recoil lug that has a hole in it for a screw to attach it to the lower
    Also there is a threaded hole in the bottom of the front of the action
    This is also used to attach it to the lower
    There is also 2 threaded holes on the top of the action for a Weaver type base

The bolt "Head" and front part of the Action was heat treated for me

OK the rear part of of the action is made of a chunk of aluminum tubing that is screwed to the "Lower" with some pieces of PVC added for the bolt to ride on
    This lets the bolt be removed when the bolt handle is straight up , no bolt stop
    On the lower left side of the aluminum tube is a ejector
    As of right now the bolt just rides loose in the rear part of the action
    I don't like how this is , so I may redo things later

The Butt stock and fore arm are made of chunks of Beach Wood I salvaged from a tree I cut up for firewood
    A 5/16 x 6" bolt is used to hold the butt stock to the lower
    Again I don't like the way the butt stock is held on
    As it will twist , so I hope to also change how I did this

As the bolt handle is turned straight up to remove the bolt
    Only a reddot sight will work on the carbine right now
    But I do not plan on any long range shooting , so it works

John

Boolit Master
    That sounds like an interesting build. As for your original question regarding 9mm brass, here's my thoughts: There isn't a whole lot of case capacity difference in such a small case. The more volume a case has the thinner the case walls need to be. If you want to be able to shoot at higher velocity you'll need to load to a higher pressure. Higher pressure will require stronger brass, not thinner & weaker brass. All things being equal, I would suggest using thicker brass to try and achieve higher velocity. The two types of 9mm brass that I have found to have the thickest side walls are Sellers & Bellot, and "carbine" brass made by IMI.

Boolit Master

I don't think the brand of brass will have much affect on case capacity as the required setting depth of the bullet. My 9mm pitols require a short OAL because the bullet is into the rifling. This causes the slide to be slightly out of battery if too long. This may be no problem on a bolt rifle though.