Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: The Dreaded Rossi Barrel Band Screw

Boolit Mold

The Dreaded Rossi Barrel Band Screw

Got my R92 refinished, safety deleted, Skinner sight installed, metal follower dropped in and all reassembled…and guess what?

The dang screw for the barrel band WILL NOT thread into the threads side!

I can see daylight through the hole, but when I slide in the screw it seems to go in at an angle and will not line up!

Should I drill out the wood a bit to open up the hole?

I’m kinda at a loss for what to do….ideas?

Boolit Buddy

I am thinking you just do not the alignment right. Believe there is a small groove on bottom of barrel and everything has to be just right, left and front and back to index sight properly GW

Boolit Mold
    Good idea

I’ll fiddle with it tomorrow after work. I just had to walk away because I didn’t want to booger anything up

Boolit Buddy

Maybe be good to see if screw will line up with the band off of the barrel if you have more problems. Then you would see any misalignment problems After thought GW

I had to use a small hand held vice to give it a very slight squeeze, just enough to get the threads started. Didn't take much. I would not remove wood.

Boolit Buddy

On Rossi 92s and other levers I use a pin punch in the non-threaded side as a lever / alignment tool to keep the holes in the wood and the band in alignment while I rotated the band, forearm, and magazine beneath the barrel to get it "clocked" properly, then the screw popped right in to the threads.

Noah

I took the stock off my Rossi to refinish it, and had no problem getting the band screw back in the first time.
    The next time I took off the bands (to replace the mag follower and take a couple coils off the spring) I had some difficulty getting the fatter band on the fore end to thread in right away, but it eventually went in.

Rather than just push on the screwdriver hoping it will thread in, look at the backside and see if the end of the screw is off center slightly.
    You could try to insert a piece of metal rod or drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screw, put it in a try to flex the band to align.
    And if the screw is just barely reaching the far side of the band, squeezing it like Veeman suggested above might be in order.

Boolit Master
    ALIGNMENT!!!!
    groove in barrel
    groove in magazine tube -- even the slightest twist in the tube messes that one up
    holes in the wood ---fore and aft alignment of the forend needs to be spot on
    screw goes in from left to right - have seen fellers get the band around ass backwards - looks like it should work but it dont

the barrel band setup dont look like much but to work it fits up real neat - needs everything lined up right to re assemble

Boolit Master
    Just got my 92 recently, 44 mag. Done some mods to make it feed right. Had a hard time gettin that screw back in.
    The barrel band has an "up" side, be sure it's oriented properly. I just couldn't get the screw to start threadin, even with
    rotating the magazine tube to try to line up the grooves.
    Used a jeweler's size round file in the slots between barrel & magazine, that did it. Didn't remove much but both grooves
    had burrs on em.

PS: I was deforming the slot in the head trying to get the original screw out, they really torqued it down at the factory.
    Tried penetrating oil no good. Impact driver got it out.
    Last edited by a.squibload; 07-04-2022 at 03:37 AM.