Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Need Info on Expanding Gas Checks

Boolit Grand Master

Need Info on Expanding Gas Checks

The 8mm LEE 175gr. 324 I have, has over sized shanks. I chamfer the base with the NOE base tool, anneal the Gator Checks, but still a chore to install checks.
    I have the NOE GC expander, bit is painfully slow. 3-4 checks per minute tops. To prep size and lube 8mm boolits to have a decent supply,
    is serious work.

The GC Shank measures .308+, way to big for easy application of shanks.
    If anyone has a faster, easier way to apply GC's, I'm all ears.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Would it be practical to seat the boolits on the check with a top punch chucked up in a drill press?
    You should get more leverage than pushing them on by hand.
    Then they'd be on the base squarely and ready to go into the sizer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Lyman seater in the lube/sizer. I cut a steel disk to fit in the sizing die to seat it straight. It is all so painfully slow.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I would get another mould, and ream out the base of the offending one too make it into a PB mould.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thats the plan for one of them.

Shiloh

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I would get another mould, and ream out the base of the offending one too make it into a PB mould.
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    I have been using the NOE SC325-180-RF in my 8x57 and have the same problem seating gas checks. Even when I use the Lyman tool in my RCBS LubeSizer the results can be best described as having "MAshed the GC in place" rather than seating it properly. You can see the lead has been shoved forward on one side rather in front of the GC so it's really not even crimped all the way around as there is no lead inside a portion of the GC cup. So far my solution was to buy the NOE GC expander. Using Hornady GC's I now get perfect - but still tight - fits on the bullet shank. Yep, it's slow as can be but I figure that for a rifle bullet I don't need tons of bullets. My main issue with the NOE GC tool is that the check sticks on it often and I end up tearing my thumb nail all to pieces by the time I expand 50 or more in one session. I suspect Lyman GC's might fit unmodified but I don't have any of them.

Boolit Master
    I would also buy a new mold from Accurate or LBT so you can spec gas check shank size and not have to fiddle with an expander. It seems way too tedious for me to deal with expanding gas checks vs the amount of time I could be casting and lubing without that extra step.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I use one of these.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...k-seating-die/

Still slow but saves your thumb nail.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    To expand 30 cal GC's I used a 1/4X20 machine screw. Lay the gas checks on a plate secured for non-movement. I use a piece of railroad track turned upside down in a vise. I use the round head of the screw to expand the GC cup with the tap of a hammer.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I use one of these.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...k-seating-die/

Still slow but saves your thumb nail.
    and these for expanding the checks: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...heck-expander/
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    and these for expanding the checks: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...heck-expander/
    That's the one I use.

Boolit Bub
    I expand my gaschecks with an old ball bearing. (can check the diameter I use later). I put a bunch of gascheck on a hard surface cup up, place the ball on it and a light tap with a light gunsmith hammer on the bearing and repeat. The ball bearing don't stick on the check, very fast to use as the ball self center. I flare maybe 30/minute.
    The noe check sizer is a pain to use!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wesson357 View Post
    I expand my gaschecks with an old ball bearing. (can check the diameter I use later). I put a bunch of gascheck on a hard surface cup up, place the ball on it and a light tap with a light gunsmith hammer on the bearing and repeat. The ball bearing don't stick on the check, very fast to use as the ball self center. I flare maybe 30/minute.
    The noe check sizer is a pain to use!
    That’s a great tip!

I don’t like my NOE expander, it works, but like you mentioned sticks on every check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Use a carriage bolt here… long threaded portion to hold onto and nice rounded head.

I set checks on a counter, place shank on the check, try to get it centered so the bullet stands straight.
    Give it a tap with a rubber mallet seating the bullet. Place checked bullet into a press mounted upside down. Check first into the sizing die, and run it through crimping the check onto the boolit.

Simple and 99% stay on.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!