WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Martini, 22 Hornet, what am I looking for?

Boolit Buddy

Martini, 22 Hornet, what am I looking for?

All, I am looking to build a bit of a project rifle on a Hornet case. I have no experience with these single shot rifles and if I was to pick one up, what am I looking for in regards to action. I would be replacing the barrel so that is not a issue.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Boolit Master

Martini Cadet, bush the firing pin hole 310 action and not 22LR action
    Modify extractor

Low Wall 1885
    Ruger #3
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

My 310 cadet cost me $400. a few years back, very nice little rifle that I turned into a 17 Ackley Hornet..Prices can be all over the place based on condition I suppose, mine was 95% so kept all the parts. I replaced both stocks and barrel and like the gun very much..Got the barrel from Brownells and a very accurate one indeed..Drilled a hole in the rear as well to clean from the breech end..

Martini Cadet is the rifle to start with & it makes a fine Hornet. Of course, considering time & expense, you might find a .22 Hornet Ruger #3 ready to go, although they are scarce.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    On thing I d be looking for is a 14" twist,so I could use cheaper/more available 50 and 55gr bullets.

Boolit Master
    Kind of depends on what type extractor they used for a 22 hornet. Some recut the 22lr extractor which resembles a half of the bottom of the barrel. Or a cadet type which which has the two prongs of the extractor altered from the 310 cadet cartridge to the smaller case rim of the 22 hornet. Either one will work but prefer the 22 lr style. Has more extracting power. They did rechamber the 22 long rifle barrels on the 22 actions to 22 hornet. You can swap out the rim fire assembly to a complete centerfire assembly to go from 22lr to centerfire. But trying to find such a critter can be looking for rocking horse poop. Frank

Boolit Master

Nice little rifles, I have done many in various calibers. The Hornet will require a bushed firing pin. A 22 magnum barrel will work fine and most have 1 in 14 twist. Mine is in 32 S&W, no recoil and not much noise.