RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best modern reloading manual?

Boolit Bub
    Lyman is usually the closest is representing velocity. I also use Hodgdon online.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, boy........ what's better ~ Chevy or Ford. Of the very many I refer to, the Sierra and Lee get used the most. All the others get a good look-see on a regular basis, too.

Boolit Master

I like the "Complete Reloading Manual for the XXX" [caliber], sold by MidwayUSA (first place that comes to mind), and while the information is dated and there are newer powders not listed, having most Powder and Bullet Mfg resources in a single caliber, simple, flip-through pamphlet is quite convenient.

I also have a thirty-five-year library of Mfg manuals and pamphlets from before my time through about 2 years ago. I am not expanding the calibers which I shoot and have components to last my lifetime.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I agree with most. Lyman is my go to manual. I know you asked for latest, but no one should be without Ken Water's : "Pet Loads".

Boolit Master
    No single "best" and online is useful but limited. Can't have too many load manuals. Even the old ones are good reference sources. I have at least forty or so. Someone mentioned Ken Waters "Pet Loads". A lot of that material is dated but still applicable. No serious handloader should be without it.

Boolit Master

Manuals? More is better... I grab any manual if I use their components.. I also grab all the universal manuals I can.

I am also a fan of midways load for calibers manuals. That said I have no less than 20-30 other manuals. I also read and record powder labels with load data, I also collect all the pamphlets I can get my hands on, Think Vihta Vuori.
    Last edited by super6; 06-21-2022 at 01:02 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    85 yer olde GONRA reads INTERNET for the junque I reload.
    Carefully CROSS CHECK, COMPARE, with POWDER manufacturer's published info.
    (INTERNET is yer friend - if used correctly!)
    Another one of my cousin's died today. "Mortality" REALLY pisses me off!....)

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on what you are loading. As a brand, nobody had done a better overall job than Lyman. They make specific manuals for shotgun, rifle/pistol, pistol/revolver, and even blackpowder bpcr/muzzleloading rifle/pistol/shotgun. Some form of Lyman manual is almost always the first I look in. The biggest problem with Lyman data is often their velocities are way lower than you see for some reason. I actually like this compared to most others testing pistols in 10" barrels. The Lee 2nd edition is probably my favorite overall for pistol/rifle, and I prefer it over the general Lyman reloading manual (50th for example). I do have a saved copy of an old Alliant manual, which is really a Hercules manual. Once Alliant took over, they have done next to no load testing, and for some reason delete more and more data every year. They deleted perfectly safe, and very good loads to promote their new powders nobody wants. The current online Alliant data is outright pathetic. The Hodgdon website on the other hand is a great resource, but it doesn't have anything that Lyman doesn't already list that I have seen.

Boolit Master
    Started with a then new Lyman 45th followed by a Hornady 3rd, an NRA Reloading, a Lyman 3rd Cast and last a Lee 2nd. Also collected all the pamphlets that Win, Hogdon , Hercules/Alliant and IMR used to give out. Not worried about the latest info too much, "newest" cartridge I shoot is the 243 Win.

Boolit Buddy
    I have lots of manuals...I find myself referring to Lyman most often. They seem to have the best breadth of information.

The newest revision of Lee 2nd is surprisingly good as well.

Boolit Master
    i like the lee manual ,i have lyman sierra and others .i use powder manufactures on line manuals for the powders i use as well. more the better.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The Lyman cast Bullet manual is probably the best one to start with. However, with time most people start looking in other places for new or different loads. Luckily the internet has evolved to where it is today. There’s a wealth of information out there.

Reloading for approximately 50 yrs, I rely on Speer, Lyman Cast and Hornady reloading manuals as updated. I also like Handloader Magazine for 38-44 and 357 Magnum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    The new Lyman is very good.
    Yes #50 to be exact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12