Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Small hooded front sight post

Boolit Buddy

Small hooded front sight post

Anyone have a method for making a tiny front sight post with a bead on top of the post? I'm working on a Steven's tip-up pocket rifle with a very small hooded front sight. The post has a tiny bead on top. Any suggestions as to how this post can best be made? Thanks, Dan

A flat or small notch can into the rear/top corner of the sight blade to accept a small bead of solder there.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Well I see you are from the home of Robert Rogers, been there.

You could silver solder a steel bird shot on a post. Or

Can you fit a Lyman Globe in a dovetail near the muzzle? You could probably make a bead out of a square top insert with some judicious cutting with a motor tool. Use a scribe to make your pattern on the steel.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Use some wire, and heat it until it beads the end.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Wasn't a hog's hair used with a small ball of it melted at the top? I may have read that in Robert's book. I would try and find it but my eyes are not letting me at the moment. Having Cataract surgery this coming week.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Wasn't a hog's hair used with a small ball of it melted at the top? I may have read that in Robert's book. I would try and find it but my eyes are not letting me at the moment. Having Cataract surgery this coming week.
    Yes , you read that in Robert's book. A hog bristle with a ball melted on top.

Hope your cataract surgery goes well. Mine went very well, I thought someone had turned the lights on. Started shooting irons again. Maybe not as well as 25 years ago but it made me happy.

Dave

Boolit Master

Last one I did I machined a small ball on a piece of piano wire, drilled a hole in the base that was the same size as the wire ( .062") and soldered it to the base. A piece of welding rod 1/16" can be spun in a drill with a fine file to get the same results.

Boolit Master

Got the left eye done 5 days ago and starting to see again out of my left seems every day better. The drops mess the view up 4 times per day for the next 4 weeks due to my diabetes. Right eye getting done 6/29 I will see again!!!!!