Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martini or Sharps Rifle

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard, Sharps. Be warned, once you buy a Sharps, your hooked.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    It's my understanding that most or all of the "EG Mk III" Martinis were manufactured as shotguns, primarily used by the Egyptian police. If so, relative value would depend heavily on the quality of the conversion to .45-70 and condition of both guns. My interest lies more with Martinis than Sharps, but without seeing either gun, if you have to choose between them I suspect the Sharps is the way to go.

Navy Arms built and sold .45-70 rifles made from surplused Martinis, Rolling Blocks [had one] and Siamese Mauser actions in the 1970s.

Boolit Master
    If its a real Shiloh don't say anything just do it or if you want the Martini then let me know and I'll come up from Va for the Shiloh

If both break, I know where to get the Sharps fixed!

Boolit Master

I prefer the Martini - assuming you can mount your desired quality of sighting apparatus to both.

The Sharps is a real pain in the butt to run, with a lot of steps that you have to get "in the zone" for to operate cleanly. Half-cock, open action, load round, close action, actuate set-trigger (if so equipped), then fire.

The Sharps will generally have a much wider range of sighting options you can choose from. . .but then, so will a Winchester High Wall, which lacks the "12 step program" required to send a round downrange.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

drop lever, insert round to be fired, close lever, set trigger(if uesing it), cock it, fire. put on half cock and repeat. easy peasy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    drop lever, insert round to be fired, close lever, set trigger(if uesing it), cock it, fire. put on half cock and repeat. easy peasy.
    Load a sharps that way and you'll break your firing pin Always put a sharps on half cock before dropping the block and only engage the set trigger when the lock is at full cock or you can risk damaging the set trigger contacts. It dosent take a phd to operate a sharps after awhile its second nature like loading an M1 or any other piece that has to be handled in a certain procedure. If the rifle is a Shiloh from the 1970's the address on the left side of the reciever will be Farmingdale NY it would be great if you could post some pictures so we could see exactly what models of martini and sharps they are. Wolfgang Droge was the guy who started Shiloh back in the 70's in Farmingdale then moved it to Big Timber MT then retiring and selling the company to the great folks who run it now.

Boolit Master
    I agree the Martini is an ex police shot gun,very large and ugly.

Boolit Bub
    I like the Martini's but never had one in 45-70. They are a little different to handle and operate but the only drawback I have ever seen is you can't see into them from the rear nor clean them from the breech end. Here's a pix of mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Badger - Martini Full View Right Side small.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	301211
    It uses the same receiver as the shotgun. Ugly? I don't think so. That's a Badger barrel and it is still chambered for the original 577-450 and shoots very well indeed. And I am usually the only one at the range with one.

The last problem is that being hammerless it isn't allowed in some single shot matches. I am trying to make a case for the Martini but the Sharps may be a better bet all around for you. Good luck choosing. Best Squid Boy

Boolit Master
    The squid boy Martini is not a Greener shotgun EGMkIII.....its a British Army Martini Henry action ,considerably smaller and better shaped .....looking at the cocking indicator,its a MkI/II of 1872-1878.

Had my Shiloh at the range today. She is a 45-70
    12 grains of unique
    Saeco 420
    100 yards 4 -3/4" one out.
    Easy on the shoulder and accurate

I had a mk4 martini for several years and it will beat you. The Last time I shot it I put 20 rounds down range and I had a headache the rest of the day. Anyway I sold it and bought a Ross rifle.
    I bought my Shiloh several years ago from a friend and paid $1700 which included brass, dies, and 3 saeco moulds.
    Fun to shoot!

Name:	IMG_20220621_103935.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	301449

Name:	IMG_20220621_103954.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	301450

Boolit Master
    Would like to know which one was bought.

I have a C Sharps and a Browning High Wall and would buy another High Wall before a Sharps as it handles better for me. It shoots a little softer recoil on my shoulder than the Sharps using a 535 gr bullet and max load 3031 or full case of black powder-Swiss 1 1/2 or Goex FFg. Will reach the 1000 yard targets and even hit them if I get lucky in reading the wind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12