RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone anneal handgun brass?

Anyone anneal handgun brass?

My .357 are starting to split. I don’t load them hot. Wondering if anyone tried annealing to extend their reloading life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 77D206FC-2FB3-4B4F-B766-1C534B44E60E.jpg  
    Last edited by 468; 06-11-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added photo
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master

No. I have never bothered. I get what I consider good life out of them and just discard the split ones when that happens.

The calibers I shoot are common enough the brass is readily available and comparatively cheap,
    so I don't bother to anneal them.

As for splits- I only flare and crimp them down the least little bit I can and everything still works well.
    This seems to help extend their lifespan a lot.
    Those dies that put a big bell on the case mouth- by the time you roll crimp them, that really eats 'em up.

If you're having a big problem with split cases, you might try a Lee powder through the expander.
    They minimize working the mouth of the case.
    If you need to buy .357 brass, try not to get the Nickel plated ones.
    They don't seem to last as long as the plain brass ones.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-11-2022 at 01:23 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I've only annealed bottleneck cases for Sillywett pistols, never took the time to do straight wall cases.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Nope
    Only use the Lyman M-die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I tried once a long time ago with 44 cases. Decided it wasn't worth the time. (I have about 1500 cases and don't shoot massive abouts every month. I used the method where you hold the brass between thumb and finger and heat till you feel the heat in your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you need to buy .357 brass, try not to get the Nickel plated ones.
    They don't seem to last as long as the plain brass ones.
    As for nickel cases, I have some .38 spl. that I have been loading since 1974. They have been shot a minimum of 10 to 15 times each. I wouldn't expect to get anything better out of yellow brass.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I would venture to say that most, if not all, don’t anneal handgun brass. However, there’s no law saying you can not. I have spare time so I do things that most won’t do and it doesn’t hurt anything. So if it’s something you want to try I say do it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    What Winger Ed said. He’s spot on. I have some .357mag brass here I’m still loading that’s from the late 80’s. I’ve lost a couple, but not many. They were almost all loaded with ww296 also.

Boolit Master
    I’ve annealed some 41mag brass.

Thanks for the responses. For some reason, I ant upload the photo of the split cases. The split is not at the mouth, but starts about where the boolit base is and extends downward about 1/4”.

I’ll try to figure this photo thing…

I think this worked

Sorry, I should have led with this, but couldn’t get it to post last night…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 77D206FC-2FB3-4B4F-B766-1C534B44E60E.jpg  

Boolit Master

I used 200 Starline 45 Colt cases for several years in CAS competition. Guns were Ruger SAs and a Marlin Cowboy 45. Bullets were 200 grain RNFPs, of diameter 0.452". I used a custom Buffalo Arms expander, designed like a Lyman M die, main stem 0.451, short neck 0.454. Bullets snapped into the prepared necks and rounds looked factory with the Redding profile roll crimp. When the necks work hardened after about 5 loads, I torch annealed them, making them good for another 5 loads. Same cases lasted for 3 years of weekly competition.

The annealing procedure was quite basic. I had a B&D battery drill driver and chucked a socket adapter stem with a 9/16" socket. Lit propane torch stood on the bench (with a large diameter base), cases were dropped into the socket, head down, and rotating necks held in the flame for the first color change, then dumped into water.
    Last edited by Nueces; 06-11-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    I think this worked

Sorry, I should have led with this, but couldn’t get it to post last night…
    I’ve had this happen. For me it was brass that was loaded, stored for a decade, pulled down, then stored for 2 years. The rate of failure was high enough (well over 50%) that I scrapped it all. Can’t explain why it happened.

Can nickel plated brass be annealed?

Yes it can, same as unplated

Boolit Master
    You didn’t state who the manufacturer was. I’m just curious. I worked in the auto industry for around forty years and I’ve probably made millions of copper/brass radiators. About twenty years ago we purchased some brass oil coolers from a place in Brazil, who was actually a big OE supplier in S. America, and had good quality. Anyway, we started getting a lot of oil cooler leaks and immediately put a hold on all their product until the root cause could be found. It turned out they changed brass metallurgy and started using a red brass. After annealing in their rolling mill process it started cracking after about three months in inventory. We charged them back several million dollars and they went back to their old brass process….no more cracked coolers. I suspect whoever made those cases used a different type of brass…either to save money or they didn’t know their supplier had changed. FYI, I’ve been in brass foundries that made brass for the automotive industry and as a side money maker they made cartridge cases. They made them for some really big name companies. Don’t assume the brass you’re buying is made by the company whose name is on the box. They get behind and outsource the job sometimes.

I anneal all of my formed brass, prior to forming, plus my long revolver brass, the Super Mags and single shots. I just use the shallow water pan with water over the web, lights out, turn just pink and tip over with the torch tip. It can near double the life of my brass when minimally expand to just fit a base, seat and then taper crimp.
    Shot Silhouette against myself for forty years, never shoot in a match against anyone else, unless it is a shoot off, then I come to win. My ammo is the very best I can make, in every way.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Revolver brass tat we anneal is the uncommon ones. Supermags, 475 Linebaugh, 45 Winchester Mag......
    Plus we only eck size revolver brass as we segregate brass to a certain revolver.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

With mild loads I have never felt the need to.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Straight-wall pistol brass is for the picking up around here! Never bothered with the labor of annealing pistol brass.

I have done some bottleneck 30-30 and 30-06 in the past, but I shoot so few of those, I have many boxes of the stuff ready to prime and load.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast