WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: 45-70

Boolit Buddy

45-70

any one loading for a 45-70? Have a Henry lever and a H & R SHIRKARI, SINGLE SHOT. But back in my younger days, was stationed in Kodiak, AK, TWICE. 1975 - 1978,
    AND 1983-1986. I had both a Ruger #1 and a Marlin 1895, the RUGER loaded hot, and the Marlin as hot as I dare.

The Ruger was easier to carry up and down the mountains of Kodiak, and thru the alder brush. But was always comforting to have the follow up shots of the Marlin.

Boolit Buddy
    I load cast bullets for my RUGER 38/357 and my Uberti built SSA COPY. THE EL PATRON. 45 COLT.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother who passed away at the end of March, said he never fired a cast bullet in a rifle with accuracy, unless he used a gas check. Have ya'll had the same thing happen?

Boolit Buddy
    so far with 308 winchester, 30-06, 45-70, 223, 7x57 mauser, all I ever loaded were jacketed bullets

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    My brother who passed away at the end of March, said he never fired a cast bullet in a rifle with accuracy, unless he used a gas check. Have ya'll had the same thing happen?
    All due respect to your brother. Whenever I hear a blanket statement like that I encourage them to pick up a copy of Veral Smith's book and give it a read.

I have not had the same experience. I load .45-70 for a Marlin 1895. I only has check when it needed. For a 405 Grain trapdoor level load I don't gas check and they're just as accurate.

The keys to accurate cast boolits:
    Slug your bore.
    Size your hard cast bullets accordingly
    Work up your loads incrementally to find the accuracy sweet spot.

Boolit Buddy
    I am going to start loading for mine, have a couple boxes hornaday jacketed bullets for 45-70, but would like to see what happens when I do load cast bullets. I load for 38 special and 45 colt, and so far, at least as those bullets go have not had an accuracy problem or a leading problem, but am loading both kinda light. My Ruger security six, will handle heavier loads, but my Uberti EL PATRON, is a copy of a SSA, and don't do heavy there is not a blackhawk. Sides, 45 colts were good enough to bring back before the 1911 was invented, so is good enough for self defense. I have carried a single action for a long time, both the COLT, COLT COPIES, AND RUGERS, and I do not feel under gunned.

Boolit Buddy
    45-70 been a favorite of mine for a long time. when I was stationed in Alaska, fish and game up there recommended two guns, the Marlin 45-70, and a 12 guage pump with slugs. Both for bears

Boolit Buddy
    Now with the Henry 45-70, and the Winchester 1886 and the Italian copies of the 1886, all in 45-70, is a lot more to choose from. Back in the 1970s and 1980s was not much to choose from.

Boolit Buddy
    In 1983-1986, I had both a RUGER #1, and a Marlin 1895. In the mountains and alder brush of Kodiak, ALASKA the #1 was easier to carry, but the Marlin carried ok, and I did like the extra followup shots.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are you familiar with powder coating? A lot of people shooting cast are using it and are having great results.

.45-70s are pretty common around here.
    I load only cast 405s for my Marlin.
    For what and where I shoot, loading at Black Powder speeds are fine for me.

I sold the mold awhile back, and when I run out of the ones on hand,
    I plan to get a 350 grain mold.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The Lyman manuals from at least the #47 have 3 different levels of Loads for the .45-70, you should be able to find a load for just about any action that the .45-70 has been chambered for.
    Same holds true for the .45Colt, Lyman has loads for SAA and heavier ones for the Blackhawk.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Just bought my first 45-70 last month and fully intend to reload for it.

I just need dies and a bullet mold or ten.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Mobile, AL, and while at one time 45-70 was common, not so much any more. The deer are really small around here, in fact when I used to work at night, I would see some, and at first thought was a large dog, till I got up almost on them and saw they were deer. Most around here use 243 for deer. That is the most common ammo sold here

Boolit Master

I load for several 45 70's. For the original trapdoors and rolling blocks I don't load hot enough to need a gas check around 1000 to 1200. For the modern rifles I load to around 1800-2000 and use a gas check with all those loads.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle