RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: TC Hawken with musket nipple woes.

TC Hawken with musket nipple woes.

I picked up a nice .50cal TC Hawken. Finally getting a range day, I found out my musket cap wrench won't fit down into the nipple recess in the drum. it's too fat. Trying every make-shift tool I could think of, nothing really worked proper. I finger tightened it, and then snugged it with needle nose pliers and had at it. It was a good day at the range, goals achieved with no problems.
    Anybody have this problem? I can't be the only guy with a fat wrench. The only thing I can come up with is to file/grind down the wrench tip, or try to make one out of a small socket.
    Deplorable infidel

I have several wrenches, and a couple of them fit. Couldn't tell you where I got them as I accumulated them over the years. There are different makers/brands, and you should be able to find something.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I have several wrenches, and a couple of them fit. Couldn't tell you where I got them as I accumulated them over the years. There are different makers/brands, and you should be able to find something.

DG
    I'm afraid to do a search for a 'skinny nipple wrench' One idea I had was to fill a small deep well socket with JB Weld and insert a greased nipple into it and let it set up. Might work....
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Did you try Tracks's site?

Boolit Grand Master

TC doesn't have a drum. I assume you are talking about the kind of built in flash cup that is part of the breech plug that can get in the way. I hope I'm not missing something, but why can't you just take you musket nipple wrench a grinder until it fits?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used musket nipples on a T/C and although tight, I managed to get 'em in & out. Can't remember if I had any creative engineering required.

I'd start by checking Dixie Gunworks. They've got a lot of BP accessories, and usually several of everything to choose from.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    TC doesn't have a drum. I assume you are talking about the kind of built in flash cup that is part of the breech plug that can get in the way. I hope I'm not missing something, but why can't you just take you musket nipple wrench a grinder until it fits?
    Yes, the flash cup area is what I meant. I'm not sure I trust myself to go grinding on the wrench.... just yet. I prefer to tap into the brilliance and expertise that exists here. So, I backed away from the grinder until I hear from you folks first...
    Last edited by fastdadio; 06-10-2022 at 10:10 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'd start by checking Dixie Gunworks. They've got a lot of BP accessories, and usually several of everything to choose from.

DG
    Thanks, I'll be going there and Track ot Wolf soon enough. I broke my range rod while at the range today, I need a wedge pin puller and maybe a new pin. This one is very tight.
    Deplorable infidel

If this is the original nipple set up, try a wrench made for a pistol although any standard wrench should fit. A search for nipple wrench on Amazon will not return anything to risky.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    You might want to leave that tight pin alone, usually that's a good thing. Get a couple wooden clothes pins and pop them apart using one side as non-marring drift and try that with small tap hammer to remove and seat. When it finally rolls and splits chuck it and grab another. Works well on the percussion pistols also because it just hurts me to see scarred up plates and barrel flats, why, why do they use the screwdriver and the punch?

Here's the one that came with my 1984 kit .54 TC Hawken. I have a pistol wrench for a ROA but unless you take the barrel off it will not clear the hammer. This one works with the Hawken's and 12 ga TC Renegade shotgun with barrels mounted. Total length is 1.42" 1.97 = 0.197

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220611_165304.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	301172
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Try this nipple wrench from Thompson Center. The little claw is your wedge puller. I had to use a file to open the claw up slightly so that it would fit both my TC and my Tradition rifles.

You can also get a small hammer from Lyman that has changeable faces, one each of plastic, brass and steel. It can come in handy at the range quite often.

Name:	TC Nipple wrench.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	301178

Name:	hammer.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	301179
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.