Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Missouri bullet alloy

Boolit Buddy

Missouri bullet alloy

Have any of you ever used any of their 92-6-2 alloy? I am having difficulties with the alloy I am getting now. Many times the boollits dont seem to fill out. I will have half the bullet frosted and undersize. Lots of trash also that I just cant get rid of. I just wanted some feedback on their alloy before I order. Every temp and flux has been tried. I am very frustrated and ready to take a new route.
    Last edited by flatnose; 06-10-2022 at 05:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    It will be helpful if instead of saying "Every temp and flux has been tried", why not tell us the mold, and if new or used, and what temperature you normally use. It is entirely possible that the issue is the mold being clean or not, or perhaps you are having other casting issues. Bottom pour or ladle?

Boolit Master

I have used their lead for some years with no problems, but I haven't ordered any in about a year so it may have changed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    It will be helpful if instead of saying "Every temp and flux has been tried", why not tell us the mold, and if new or used, and what temperature you normally use. It is entirely possible that the issue is the mold being clean or not, or perhaps you are having other casting issues. Bottom pour or ladle?
    It is many molds from different makers and all have the same problem. This is not a new problem. It is the alloy that is my problem. I have different pots that have ben cleaned and on and on. The alloy has something in it that looks like dirt. Some say it is the antimony and many other hypothesis. The one common denominator is the alloy. Today I tried some more of it with dismal results. It comes from a very well known supplier. I have had bullets with 1/4 of the bullet that looks frosted and it is undersize in that area. Sometimes when the pot is almost empty it makes decent bullets but not always. Bottom pour pots with PID controllers. Temps from 690 to 950. Low temps seem to look cleaner but wont fill out. Every now and then this alloy will make good bullets. I have more that 200 lbs of this. Just curious if anyone has tried their alloy.

Boolit Master

Like I said earlier I have used maybe 500 lbs and never had a problem, but how long ago did you buy it. The owner passed away and this alloy maybe something from the new ownership that not quit as good. Still have 8 bars left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E65AF3E-411C-412A-A3D4-4FFC7F8A7362.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	301148

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I "came into" a ton of their com-cast greasy lubed boolits several years ago and I melt them down to the designs I now want and PC. Great alloy. No complaints here. I sometimes add some pure Pb to it to get to the ~9-12 hardness I use for 95% of my cast boolits.

Tell us the exact temps you are using! Right now, we are guessing.....................in the dark......................from afar.

bangerjim

Does sound like an alloy problem. I would run my Lee 10 pound pot at maximum. Flux with 50/50 alox/bees wax. Stir likes its soup, while scraping side/botton of pot. Skim off surface crud.

Start casting at max pot temp, till good fill out & bullets get frosted. Drop pot temp, cool aluminum mold, a little.

Half the bullet gets frosted and undersize when my Lee molds get to hot.