Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lithium battery charging

Boolit Master

Lithium battery charging

Several years ago I bought a Ryobi power driver and got two 18 volt batteries with it. Now the batteries will only charge up to 8.45 volts. If I leave them on charge longer they began to over heat. Anyone else have this problem?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

quit charging them before you have a fire! Most likely have a bad cell(s), they have a finite life span especially with the abuse tool batteries get.

Boolit Master

Get them re-built or buy new ones to replace them.

Rechargeable batteries eventually wear out. Not sure about the current crop, but the recommendation from just a few years ago was to completely discharge them every time you use them, as if only partially discharged they will only recharge to that level in the future.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Several years ago I bought a Ryobi power driver and got two 18 volt batteries with it. Now the batteries will only charge up to 8.45 volts. If I leave them on charge longer they began to over heat. Anyone else have this problem?
    You mention you got them several years ago. Are you sure they are lithium-ion and not nicad? Ryobi is one of the few companies that made the ion batteries compatible with the older tools. The newer batteries require a different charger. I went through the conversion and still have a bunch of the old blue tools using the new yellowish green batteries. It has also been my experience when a lithium battery goes my charger will not charge it if it does not pass a test when put in the charger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    quit charging them before you have a fire! Most likely have a bad cell(s), they have a finite life span especially with the abuse tool batteries get.
    +1 on this!! I flew electric RC airplanes for a few years after I had to give up flying the real thing (because of a medical issue) and have seen several Lithium-Ion battery fires due to crash damage or incorrect charging. Believe me, they ain't no fun; other than burying them in sand or dirt, there's no way to extinguish 'em once they've ignited and they burn just about like thermite. I recall seeing a crash at an indoor meet where a battery lit off; the safety crew picked up the burning wreckage with an aluminum grain shovel and the battery burned through it before they got halfway to an exit. After one of the guys in our model club burned down his garage, I began stacking my battery packs inside a large ceramic pot set upon a concrete paver slab for recharging. This was back in the early days of L-I but even the latest versions can be just as dangerous, just ask any firefighters about their current training for electric vehicle fires.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

There's some magic number of how many times those new age batteries can be drained and charged.
    It sounds like yours are just basically worn out.

I've had that happen with a couple of battery powered tools.
    Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a new tool does that comes with new batteries & the correct charger.

Awhile back, one of the guys here was saying his electric car battery did the same thing.
    Over time, the car would run less and less distance on a charge.

Like everything else in our society- including each other-- battery powered stuff is a throw a way when the batteries die.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    LIon batteries have over-charge circuits built into most packs. You cannot over-charge them. They do go bad but most are "guaranteed" for at least 10 years. Sounds more like NIMH or NiCAD batteries in the pack.

But only buy battery-powered stuff that uses LIon batteries (with correct charger!). Lithium technology is amazing. But just like you and I, they do have a finite life-span. I only own LIon powered tools now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Rechargeable batteries eventually wear out. Not sure about the current crop, but the recommendation from just a few years ago was to completely discharge them every time you use them, as if only partially discharged they will only recharge to that level in the future.

DG
    That "discharge them" only applies to NICAD and NIMH batteries. Infact NIMH batteries are actually designed to gradually drain themselves to prevent that "memory" effect you are talking about. LIon's are totally different. I have LIon tools that have laid around for 2 years and still have a 100% charge! Amazing. Now if we could develop a technology that does not use metals from friggin' China!

Boolit Master
    When I wrote, several years ago, it was more like three or four. They are lithium with a different charger. What is nice about lithium batteries is they charge in just a few seconds. What is bad about them is the cost. At $40 each, you may as well toss in another $20 and get the driver as well. That is what I paid for the driver and two batteries. They were on sale of course, which comes around about every two months. I think I paid $97 for the package. Thanks to all of you who responded.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

No matter what generation of battery you are running do not leave them in the tool when not being used. One in the charger the other on standby and first used, leaving them in the tool for long periods kills a battery .

Boolit Master
    old electronics with lithium batteries made good targets, not the bang of tannerite but they get to burn

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    No matter what generation of battery you are running do not leave them in the tool when not being used. One in the charger the other on standby and first used, leaving them in the tool for long periods kills a battery .
    I leave all my LIon batteries IN THE TOOLS 100% of the time! Depending on the charger, the brand, and/or battery array, they do not like to stay on charger/plugged in all the time. I ruined several NICAD packs by doing that. I have left my several BOSCH LIon tools lying around for 2+ years (during China Virus times) with no damage to the tool or the battery packs. And they had 100% charge when I grabbed them to use them.

And there are many smaller tools & devices out there that the batteries are NOT removable! How do you address that?? Do you take the LIon battery out of your iPhone/Smartphone every night?

Nice thing about LIon's is when they run down, it's like falling off a cliff. They pretty much just stop and do not taper down in output like older technologies always did.

Boolit Master
    There was an article I read about a problem with charging Ryobi lithium batteries and there were videos on Youtube about correcting the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13iznXQNDg
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have a Ryobi tool kit with 18V batteries. They certainly have a life span. Without testing them I notice the battery life just decreasing down in between charge times and this also goes for the Hitachi battery tools I have. Stop keep using them if you want until they die but I would get new batteries.

As bangerjim said, charge them and set them aside for use. As an aside, I was just delivering zero turns to a John Deere dealer and saw some 82V Greenworks zero turns https://www.greenworkscommercial.com...-mower-7409502. Cuts up to 2 acres.

Also had a UTV https://www.greenworkscommercial.com...icle-500-black. Runs 40 miles but I've seen some online that run 75miles. Interesting if you have power to charge them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Some times the batteries can be re-juvinated by a complete discharge and then a slow start charge. All batteries have a 'memory' and limit on # of charge cycles. Run them ALMOST dry and then recharge.
    Whatever!

I just bought a new system on some hand tools. Had been using 12v Dewalt, but they are not Li ion, just older nicad. Went with Ryobi and their li ion charging instructions say do not charge to 100% if you plan on storing for long periods, but only partial charge. Charging to 100% gives best life if you charge before use. And these have a lifetime replacement. One thing no one else offers. We'll see...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Xmas before last my kids bought me several Ryobi tools, 18V. A month or two ago one of the batteries would not recharge so called Ryobi. The nice lady I spoke with had me tell her what the charger was doing and then give her the battery serial number. Three days later a newer style battery with a test switch to check battery power was delivered at no charge. Not sure what the battery warranty is but you might call Ryobi and see if they can help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

DG
    The drain before recharging thing was, IIRC, only for NiCad batteries. Just watched this video a few minutes ago, might be of assistance for OP. I know I'm going to give it try, as my 40V 6ah battery for my Ryobi lawnmower & weedeater I bought a few years ago quit on me recently. https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...ngs#post205057

HTH!

Bill in OKC

Boolit Grand Master
    NiCad technology was garbage, but it was all we had in the day! FAR better than the Zn/carbon/acid dry cells that were around for generation. They were always dead when you picked up the tool. And that memory thing forced us to buy new batteries every few years or so. You could "regenerate" some NiCad's by zapping them with a power supply of 2.5 volts at 8A DC. That seemed to "burn the shorts" out of them......ONE TIME ONLY.

Then came MiMH batteries and we thought it was the 2nd coming of the Lord. Heavy and cumbersome, they rapidly filled the gap created by NiCad's in industry. But those are actually engineered to slowly drain themselves over time! That minimized the memory thing, but you still ended up with dead batteries when you needed a tool. Every single time! And you cannot leave them on constant charge!!!!!!! That will also ruin them even faster.

Finally comes along the LiON battery technology of today. ( China and the Biden Crime Family are glad of that and the lithium consumption) Light-weight, fast recharge, and lots of power. They will maintain a charge for years and not deplete themselves automatically. The battery packs have built-in charge circuits that prevent overcharging and dead shorts. ( You do NOT want to dead-short a raw LiON battery + to - !!!!! It may explode or catch fire easily) That is why they have special chargers! You do not need to run them down. They will just quit when they reach a certain minimum % of charge, protecting the rather expensive batteries from totally running down and eventual damage. They do have a finite lifetime, just like you and I, but are far longer-lived than any of the old technologies you are all referring to up above.

Whenever possible I choose products and tools that use LiON technology. That is................until the NEXT battery technology comes out! If you want to know what they are, just search for "new battery technologies 2022".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast