Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make 11.15x58 brass?

Boolit Master

how to make 11.15x58 brass?

I can't find any thing on GOOGLE SEARCH on how to make them? also load data. I have a WERNDL RIFLE, and want to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    My conversion book says the 11.15 x 58 Werndl can be made from 450 NE brass. You would need to turn the rim diameter down and back chamfer then build it up to .090 thick. I assume that the added rim thickness has to be at the front. The a simple anneal, size and trim.

Hope this helps.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    it would help if I was a machinist & had access to a lathe. thank yo for the reply to my question. years ago be fore he died, BOB, HALEY, in SEEMORE, TEXAS, used to sell them made out of 348 WINCHESTER. that is the way that I am looking to make them out. toot.

Boolit Master
    what I need info on making brass, is for the 11.5X58 WERNDL, RIFLE.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to say My books do not list any 11.5 X 58 cartridge.

A chamber cast would be what I would start with to see if there was a case that could be made to fit.

Good luck.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Usable cases can be made from .348 Winchester brass--they will be a little short, but they should work. I found it easiest to anneal the case and then fireform it. Brass tended to split if it wasn't annealed first, and I did not have very good luck expanding the necks with expander dies, although that is also a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Usable cases can be made from .348 Winchester brass--they will be a little short, but they should work. I found it easiest to anneal the case and then fireform it. Brass tended to split if it wasn't annealed first, and I did not have very good luck expanding the necks with expander dies, although that is also a possibility.
    This is how I make mine.....although it ends up being a two-step process for me. I blow the necks out with Bullseye and filler, but generally this doesn't fully form the body all the way. I then fully load with BP and proper bullet (.446 for mine) and upon this second firing the cases are fully formed.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Toot, you reside any where near Amarillo?
    I have a Werndl and make my brass from 348 cases.
    We could go to the range and make some for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35HDaNYimtI

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 06-13-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    I make them from 450/400 Hornady Brass. Works perfectly. I rough cut the brass, run into the die and then complete a final trim. The base and rim diameters fit well. Headspace off the shoulder and you don't need to worry about the thicker rim or forming the "A" type rim. It looks as if 450/400 and 450 is sold out right now though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Dave
    if you anneal that 348 brass and go up in steps .............
    I made a couple hundred cases for my 45/75 out of 348 and only broke two
    1)anneal
    2)expand to . 375 (3/8th inch)
    3) expand to 40 cal (.405)
    4) maybe anneal again here
    5) expand to 7/16" or 11mm (.433ish)
    6) final expand to .459
    it sounds involved but simple really - I do have a lathe and threading gear - made the expanders out of grade5 HT bolts threaded to fit the top end of one of my reloading dies (RCBS I think) make them with a long taper and polish the expander part till it shines good -- if you go up in too big steps you will a)wreck some cases b) find difficulty keeping the necks square and centered
    I would rather expand cases up than squeeze down from larger size

Boolit Master
    skeettx, that would be great, but I live on the east coast, in NEW ENGLAND.

Boolit Master
    thanks' guys for all of the very helpful info. I have a friend that is going to hook me up with every thing that I will need, again thanks' for the help.

Boolit Master
    skeettx, what do you shoot in your WENDL, DIA of bullet head & weight. BP, or SMOKELESS loads? if so what amount of powder?

Boolit Master
    sorry meant WERNDL. typing to fast.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me check my book when i get home but i think you can make it the same way as 43spanish. Seems i read that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

.446 boolit 370 grain

and 4198 powder
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    I find it easiest to neck down 50-110 Winchester. Before I had correct dies, I used a Lebel die to form cone, then into 45-70 to just below proper shoulder, then neck sized 45 colt. The shoulders fireform out correctly. The only issue without a chamber cast is knowing brass thickness versus boolit size inside your specific chamber.

Boolit Master
    skeettx, would 27 grs, of 4198 be OK, with a cotton ball too keep the powder against the primer to prevent flash over? that is what I use in my trapdoors.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntj3 View Post
    I find it easiest to neck down 50-110 Winchester. Before I had correct dies, I used a Lebel die to form cone, then into 45-70 to just below proper shoulder, then neck sized 45 colt. The shoulders fireform out correctly. The only issue without a chamber cast is knowing brass thickness versus boolit size inside your specific chamber.
    what DIA, cast lead heads did you use for the process? how far did you neck size down the brass to start, what load of what powder & how many grains did you use, any filler?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    skeettx, what do you shoot in your WENDL, DIA of bullet head & weight. BP, or SMOKELESS loads? if so what amount of powder?
    They ain't heads, they are gullets, boolits, or projectiles.

Grumpy old fart(me).
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast