Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How des a person sell off their gun collection ??

How des a person sell off their gun collection ??

I am planning on moving to Texas this year and I'm only going to keep a couple of hunting firearms. I have ALOT of stuff to sell -- 5 different contenders, some revolvers, 380 autos, BP muzzleloading rifles in both flint and percussion. BP Cap-n-ball revolvers, and a myriad of ammo, reloading powders, primers and presses. It all seems so overwhelming to get rid of it all .... how does one go about liquidating all their fireams and firearms related items in the next couple months ??
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Buddy
    Right now, with prices being crazy high, I would seriously consider running all of your stuff through an auction house that does online events. I have gotten rid of piles of unwanted stuff from both mine and my father's collections. Drop it off and wait for the check after it gets sold. They take the pictures and do all of the work for 15-25% of the sale price.

Not easy, I'm afraid. You can consign them to a local gun shop for sale at a commission. You can consign them to an auction house. You can sell them on Gunbroker.com, again for a fee. You can even try to sell them here on this Forum, in which case please read the Rules in the Swappin' & Sellin' section before listing them. Be careful to stay within the laws of your state. Some states now prohibit private sales to individuals, and require all sales to go through an FFL.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    There is a seller on GB that does this kind of thing. LSB, lock stock and barrel. You can schedule a pick up of your items. They do the rest according to their website. https://lsbauctions.com/ They do seem to get top dollar in their auctions, but I do not know what their commission is. Hope that helps.

Boolit Master
    In Burton, OH there's an auction outfit, http://gunrunnerauctions.com/ I've used them a couple of times. They seem to be very knowledgeable about what they sell.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I liquidated a quantity of mine a number of years ago, I consigned them to a gunshot who put them up on GB. They did all the paperwork and shipping and the fees were reasonable IMHO. Others I have consigned to another somewhat LGS that has been in business many years - they have a website where they list them on-line so between walk ins and those who keep track of their listings on-line, they have usually moved quite fast. Right now, it seems to be a seller's market so most SD type firearms don't seem to last long. BP guns - they seem to move slower and bring what the bring.

Good luck in your liquidation and on your move as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Ohio and would happy to purchase some of those hazmat items. It'd be a long trip but at least I know I'm going to a beautiful area and that you are real and legitimate.

Our gun club has an annual sale at the range. Perhaps there s a range close to you that does the same thing.
    But bring everything to Texas, someone here will want what you have.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    An auction house is an option.
    HOWEVER,, get a good one that handles firearms OFTEN. I've been to many auctions where the auction house people do not know squat about firearms. Mishandling, dry firing, improper descriptions, and even outright lies about laws & such. Most auction houses charge 15%-30% of the sale price back to you as part of their fee. AND they also can charge the "buyer's premium" to the buyer. They make money off both. Find out how the auction house works BEFORE you sign anything.

A LGS,, consignment, or outright bulk sale. On a consignment, you can set a minimum price you'll accept for whatever. Expect the LGS to try & lower that amount,, otherwise, they may not work hard at selling your stuff if they can't make 30%-50% on the sale. If you do this, take pictures, in detail, of everything. Document it all, and get the LGS to sign a copy of your list saying they accept any liability for damages or loss etc. Mishandled firearms, damaged or whatever stuff that doesn't sell can be de-valued easily. By your having proof of YOUR stuff can go a long way in case something is disputed.
    Outright bulk sale to a LGS,, expect a very lowball price. But you will get it sold quickly. They buy, knowing some stuff may sell quickly,, while other stuff, may not.

Local sales to local people is the best method. Lowers the problems,, but it makes you do all the work. Local advertising, meeting people, etc.

Get a table at a local gun show. Do so as a private seller. That's probably the best option to try & sell as much as you could & do so in a quick manner. I'm a member of OGCA,, and will be at a show in Wilmington Oh in mid July. You might could see about getting into that one.

Selling gun collections & miscellaneous related items.

A big Auction house, like this one. See sold prices of guns. Its where my collection is going. https://www.horstauction.com/

They also sell other gun related items by lots.

Auction results, selling price, with photos, & info. https://www.horstauction.com/auctions/results/firearms/

Easiest will be to sell the guns to a local store and take whatever they offer. Probably be a bought right on price too after you consider auction fees.

For the other gun stuff like sling and whatnot, maybe put it in lots and offer here? Same as cap and ball revolvers.

Boolit Master

+1 on an auction house experienced in firearms. If you weren't a state and a half away, I'd suggest Bauer Bros Auctions where I've been buying and selling for the last ten or twelve years without a single glitch or complaint. Their auctioneers are quite knowledgeable and their on-site auctions draw dealers and collectors from all across the U.S. (I once sat next to an FFL who'd flown in from Texas bid on two cased pairs of English doubles for one of his customers...combined, the two sets brought over $50k and that was five or six years ago.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

PM me. There are other solutions.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Take the stuff to Texas. You will have no trouble selling them there.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Buy a table or two at local gun shows. Spend an hour walking around comparing prices and sell your stuff for 10-15% less. Quality stuff always sells as well as powder and primers.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    There is a seller on GB that does this kind of thing. LSB, lock stock and barrel. You can schedule a pick up of your items. They do the rest according to their website. https://lsbauctions.com/ They do seem to get top dollar in their auctions, but I do not know what their commission is. Hope that helps.
    Ive bought several from them with no problems. Even won an auction but had to leave the state for a month so couldnt take delivery. Emailed them and no problem. Sent half the money to hold and when i got back paid it off and they sent it. Highly recommend LSB
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

BP stuff id put here on auction or another site as you can send with no problem. Guns local consignment,here, gunbroker take your pick although gunbroker if those prices are real is the best bet for max profit if thats your concern. Powder and primers try here or a couple sites FTF only. I dont think you will have a problem getting rid of them. Presses, same auction here or ebay or something.

Personally, id rather sell my stuff here or other gun forums where someone is going to buy them to use and enjoy rather than ebay or elsewhere where someone is looking to flip. Just my opinion, though. My wife has a clear understanding that if something happens to me all my reloading stuff, powder, lead etc is here first then elsewhere. Where else will some want a 43 Spanish or 7.5 Swiss to cast for and get a kick out of?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Unless you need the money, or you are getting too old to use all the stuff, why not take it to Texas with you.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I downsized, I used Gunbroker and I was pleased with the results. It takes more work, but the fees are reasonable. Some folks do not want to deal with the hassle of selling.

When I moved from Canada to the US in 1995, I sold some guns through a LGS and their consignment fee was only 10% but expect it to be up to 20%.

Finding a auction house that will do a good job can be difficult.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    My vote is for a auction house that normally sells firearms and related items. I just sold a couple of Mosin Nagants and ammo through https://hessney.com here in New York and was very happy with the prices. No dickering, no background check etc. They handle everything for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast