Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter from Woodbury Pewter

Pewter from Woodbury Pewter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220531_200127.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	301119

Woodbury website states this to be made from 92%tin,6% antimony &2% copper.
    I'm assuming this would be useful for casting and if so,What would be the best way to render this down to be useable.
    Thanks DaleT

Boolit Master

Melt it in your casting pot and cast very small bullets with it. It is only about 8 oz's of Pewter.

First thought is to melt it, Check the base for weight junk and remove it. Keep the heat down as only to the point where it will melt. Enjoy!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

Use it as tin. I have a few Potter ingot molds, but buying one for a single goblet seems excessive. One of our members casts coins in the bottom of beverage cans. Useful size and molds would be free to most of us.

Smash it to a compact shape with a heavy hammer to make it easy to get in a pot or ladle.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 06-09-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Some pewter items sometimes have plaster in the base to give it a heftier
    weight. Same for some silver items as well. Frank

Boolit Master
    It is useable as it is, all suggestions are just to melt and cast it into a shape that’s easier to handle, store and add into a lead alloy. You could just use tin snips or bolt cutters to cut off whatever weight you need to add to your alloy.

I get the sense from your question that you don’t know how to use it (that is pewter) in the casting process. If that is even partly true spend some time reading about making alloys for casting bullets or post up some specific questions. You may also want to look for the lead alloy calculator, I think it’s in a sticky.

If you have a pair of tin snips cut as much a possible into strips and only add enough to your lead to reach fill-out. Anything over 2% in an alloy is a waste. Unless you know your lead is close to pure cast a few bullets and see how crisp your lube grooves are.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

It looks perfect for brandy.

Boolit Master
    Does Brandy cast what I'm shootin'?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Does Brandy cast what I'm shootin'?
    Not sure, but I heard that she’s a fine girl, what a good wife she would be.

Boolit Master
    I don't cut pewter, l dip it in, and it melts

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I personally would keep that and not melt it! Use it for toasting the Republican take-back of the House and Senate (and the Country) in November.

And that would hold a GOOD & AMPLE serving of brandy!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Not sure, but I heard that she’s a fine girl, what a good wife she would be.
    Not for me, my life, my lover, my lady is the sea......

Isn't Brandy in her late 60's or early 70's by now?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I will probably just put it in a yard sale. It was acquired from my father in law and in addition to this , which I assume he purchased at a yard sale for casting, I also acquired a 50# box of 50/50 capping bar solder , 22 1 pound bars of 60/40 solder , 13 bars each of 50/50 & another type that hopefully BNE can identify, some other bars that are very brittle of none of them are complete and about 400#'s of raw lead, and about 15#'s of various small guage rolls of solder of which my wife may use for stained glass work.
    My intent is compile a list of what I have , pick out what I think I can actually use and put a for sale ad up at the gun club to see if I/we can sell some .

Boolit Grand Master

While I don’t know the actual weight, I estimate you have near enough half a pound of lead free solder there. Good luck with your yard sale.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I render/cast all of my pewter into bullets, generally in the largest/heaviest 44mag molds I have. As I need to add lead to my pot I add my pewter/tin bullets to keep me in the 1.5-2% range. Yea I gotta do some math calculations as I add to the pot, but it’s no big deal and it doesn’t hurt to exercise them thar brain cells every now and again.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

That's a super cool idea, I could use one of my round ball molds. Once you weigh one they should all be the same. According to the data received from BNE, I have about 15# of pure tin from a box of various bar solders from my FiL's estate.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    I will probably just put it in a yard sale. It was acquired from my father in law and in addition to this , which I assume he purchased at a yard sale for casting, I also acquired a 50# box of 50/50 capping bar solder , 22 1 pound bars of 60/40 solder , 13 bars each of 50/50 & another type that hopefully BNE can identify, some other bars that are very brittle of none of them are complete and about 400#'s of raw lead, and about 15#'s of various small guage rolls of solder of which my wife may use for stained glass work.
    My intent is compile a list of what I have , pick out what I think I can actually use and put a for sale ad up at the gun club to see if I/we can sell some .
    I'm sorry for your loss! It sounds like your FIL was a serious caster and a pretty good scrounger. You inherited probably what is a lifetime supply of Tin!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    SELL????????????? If you cast and shoot a lot, you will go through that little stach in no time! The Sn alloys are getting harder to find at reasonable prices. If it was mine I would just keep the lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast