Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the "new" IMR Pistol powders discontinued?

Boolit Master

Are the "new" IMR Pistol powders discontinued?

Am I just imagining it, or were the new IMR pistol powders that were thinly veiled imitations of Alliant powders taken out of production?
    It seems I recall their "Unequaled" propellant (imitation of Unique) never made its way to the store shelves before problems were discovered.
    I bought a can (14 oz.) of IMR "Target" (can you say "Bullseye? Sure. I knew y'could!) because it was inexpensive where I found it.
    I remember seeing but never tried the IMR Red (Red Dot), Green (Green Dot), and Blue (Blue Dot) propellants, and now I don't see any of them; It's difficult for me to decide whether they were withdrawn from the market, or if they're in just as short supply as other desired propellants.
    Has anyone heard/read anything on the matter? Was the withdrawal (if any) from safety concerns or perhaps due to litigation from Alliant? Just wondering.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I have Red, seems to.work as Red Dot so far.

Boolit Master
    Green, Blue, Red and Target are all still shown on the Hodgdon website, but out of stock. If they had been discontinued, I would think they would be gone from the website. Only IMR powder in stock is 4895. Some times items appear in their store and can be purchased direct. They don't make anything themselves.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/imr

Boolit Master
    Okay, so I surmise that no notice of discontinuation has been issued. Then there still may be hope for locating some IMR Blue. It looks like it's worth trying in .38 Super. I think I'd prefer to do a work-up with Alliant Blue Dot, but since our propellant market is still in the "work with what showed at the dance" phase, that's what I may have to do.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    They show discontinued.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/imr/imr-red
    https://shop.hodgdon.com/imr/imr-blue

I am liking the green. too bad, they were a lot cheaper at first than the dots.

Boolit Master

To the original question. Are the "new" IMR Pistol powders discontinued?
    Man, I hope so. Things are confusing enough these days.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    To the original question. Are the "new" IMR Pistol powders discontinued?
    Man, I hope so. Things are confusing enough these days.
    That’s kind of what I thought. Does everyone need every version of every powder?!

If I didn’t have 25 random cans of whatever was available I might have several cans each of half a dozen powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    In answer to the OP's question, yes, yes they are. Red, Green, Blue and Target are all discontinued.

This is why I am increasingly a stick in the mud, at least when it comes to new powders. Seems like it gets here, is praised to high heaven as the best thing since sliced bread, then is discontinued, leaving the few, proud users with no recourse but to look for the old standby's that they couldn't find anyways.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    In answer to the OP's question, yes, yes they are. Red, Green, Blue and Target are all discontinued.
    This is why I am increasingly a stick in the mud, at least when it comes to new powders. Seems like it gets here, is praised to high heaven as the best thing since sliced bread, then is discontinued, leaving the few, proud users with no recourse but to look for the old standby's that they couldn't find anyways.
    I'm very much the same way, for very much the same reason. For 40 years, it's been Bullseye (or Red Dot), Unique(or Herco) and 2400. I'm the new owner of a .38 Super, so a can of AA#7, Blue Dot, or VV 3N37 may be taking up residence, soon (I HOPE!).

Carpe SCOTCH!

I got one bottle of the IMR Blue, but wish I'd bought more when it was around $14 a bottle a Graf's. I've had great luck with it in 30-30 plinking loads.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

All are discontinued. Saw a notice from Hodgdon in January '22.

Withdrawal reasons -
    I've heard two.

1) They were not able to get CE (European env standards) certification due to some component(s) in the powder
    2) They were not selling well enough

I can see either of those would be a major roadblock.

Concentrating production on a few, high-profit, proven-market products has been a serious strategy for the last couple of years.

But, we as customers would not be able to fix either of those problems with the Color-Dot competitors. So it really matters very little WHY they killed off those powders.

good luck, garrisonjoe

You know?
    I would be very happy if they never produced another new powder, just supply what has worked fine in the past.
    If you need to give us something new, give us particle beams, mass drivers, lasers, phasers, polaro-ray guns, handheld atomic blasters, you name it, I will welcome them all, but please!, don't give us more unobtainable powders.

likley their making new powders that go bad after some time, just for us reloaders!

Boolit Master
    I have been using Bullseye, Unique and 2400 for the vast majority of my handgun reloading for decades with some H110/296 for near book maximum loads. I always kept some 231, HP38 and a couple of other powders as backups just in case.
    Once my son started reloading, he wanted to experiment with new powders and expanded our powder inventory with several new powders particularly rifle powders.
    I find little reason to experiment much anymore since I have developed excellent loads for my handguns that have proven themselves over many years. I do experiment when I acquire a new caliber such as the .30Carbine BlackHawk that I bought last year.

Boolit Master
    I just got confitmation from a major supplier in Canada that the whole line of IMR “ENDURON” powders are also discontinued. Sad times!

Hopefully they/Hodgdon can start to supply whats left of the line to all the shooters who are waiting for their chosen cartridge fuel!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    I just got confitmation from a major supplier in Canada that the whole line of IMR “ENDURON” powders are also discontinued. Sad times!

Hopefully they/Hodgdon can start to supply whats left of the line to all the shooters who are waiting for their chosen cartridge fuel!
    Jeez, and I just bought a can of that stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Bought 16 pounds of IMR Red back when it was cheap. When I found out it was on the rocks, I saved all the load data I could find.

It'll be pushing my 38s and 44spl for some time to come.

I saw yesterday on another board where a fellow claimed that an email to Hodgdon got a response that the Enduron line is suspended as opposed to discontinued. The factory is trying to catch up with some obligations to government contracts and may resume making powders for Hodgdon when they’re caught up. 3rd hand internet hearsay so don’t go betting the farm on it, but maybe there’s something to it.
    I’m all for options from whichever company wants to make products and data available. I bought some Vectan and Shooters World powders when not much was available and have found good loads for various cartridges with them. I bought a can of IMR Target that I ran across because it was cheap and on the shelf. It has given near identical performance to Bullseye, I’d be happy to buy some more if I ran across some.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it's pretty rotten to come out with a whole new line of powders and then discontinue them. We handloaders spend money working up loads with some expectation that we will be able to use them in the future. I know I don't buy a 4 or 8 pounder of a new powder, so after working up loads with just a pound there isn't much left to use thereafter. Maybe they just don't care, but I hope this hurts IMR's market share.

Boolit Master
    I'll bet that the marketing dept. managers land on their feet though. :-/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast