Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I paid too much for primers emotional support thread

Boolit Master

I paid too much for primers emotional support thread

Yes, it's 2022 and I've held off buying primers for years. Right now I think with all the gun control in the news and run away inflation we'll soon be looking back at $100 bricks as the good ol' days.

I just paid $900 for 10K Bosnian SPP and I feel a little sick to my stomach.

I need a cold shower and a shoulder to cry on.

Boolit Master

Unless your like me I have more money than time to shoot. So I buy primers and enjoy them.

Boolit Master
    <announcer voice>
    And here’s a bold move by SSS late in the game, only time will tell if he’ll regret this play.

Well at least you have them and will be able to reload and shoot, it's what you like to do, and you will be able to continue doing so when lots of others probably won't. I see nothing wrong with it. I've done the same, and worse myself!
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master
    I've tried the reloading of primers thing. It works, but very tedious. It might be easier with Berdan cases which I'm saving for harder times.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I've tried the reloading of primers thing. It works, but very tedious. It might be easier with Berdan cases which I'm saving for harder times.
    Agree. I will pay $100/k before making primers.
    Don Verna

I contemplated getting a .38spcl cas rifle in order to stretch my supply of lpp’s. A 1000.00 investment but I never did. I wound up just swapping 3 bricks of srp/ spp for lpp. All my stuff is .45lc. Dumb thing is I had my hands on a very nice used .38 uberti for half that before the pandemic but put it back. Hindsight is always 20/20. Should have enough lpp’s for 5 years of monthly cas matches if I don’t get any more. Maybe a few ipsc shoots too.

Boolit Master
    Ten cent primers make seven cent .22 LR look like a bargain.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

As a youngin who has only experienced the era of Primer Suffering, I've unfortunately have never seen what it used to be like. I scrounge any deal I can when it comes to primers. Thankfully, I've now got a box of everything, SRP, LPP, and SPP, but when those are gone, I'm going to be out of luck again. The good thing is now that I'm employed, I can actually spend extra on primers instead of digging into savings.

Even $75 a brick would be reasonable to my ears if that means that I don't have to pay $50 in hazmat fees. I have paid some unreasonable prices for the little fellas, but at least I've been able to find them from time to time. At least it means that I won't have to pay a dollar a round for .38 Special!

If I had unlimited funds, I’d buy all I could get at $100 a brick. With things the way they are now, I ain’t got the funds to buy at any price.

Boolit Buddy
    I should go get more.... My guy has a garage full of primers (he told me a half million each... lol) from about 10 years ago and his prices have been steadily climbing. His prices are good but I know he bought them at about 15-20/k. He now charges $80/k and you have to buy at least one pound of powder with each brick of primers. I guess I have it good compared to some but my butt is still chapped. With primer prices I shouldn't be messing around with 38s and 9s and just shoot 45s. Whats a half penny of powder when primers are about a dime each.

Boolit Master
    Our Sportsmans has been starting to get primers, all CCI so far. Several thousand. $5 box for std, $8 for BR. 2 box/day limit. I have been buying 2 a day of the BR02 primers for about a week now. So far all of it is small rifle and small pistol, but, they also had over 1000 of the CCI military primers.

It is what it is and that's what the market will bear right now.

And look on the bright side, you've got the primers, and you didn't loose the $900. in some crooked BINGO parlor.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I scored a case of federal spp a year ago from a guy who "had more than he could use in his lifetime" 75$ a brick wish I could have got more.

Boolit Mold
    finding someone who is getting out of the game there are deals to be had, wish it was 100 a brick here and do not start me on powder

Hi. My name is Half Dog and I too have paid too much for primers.
    Perhaps I can give up eating so I can shoot more.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I have spent more money on much stupider things. Enjoy shooting while you can.

Boolit Buddy
    I paid 100$ a brick for the OLD CCI SPP in the green and white boxes…ya gotta go what you gotta do, I bought about 70k of Tula spp about 10 years ago and I’m finally out and I bought those for 13$ a brick. But here is the thing if you need them buy them, because 100$ won’t even get you a 1/4 of a buggy of groceries anymore

Boolit Master
    I have a few thousand small primers at the moment but I am having trouble paying for more of them right now. I used to be able to make 357mag for less than the cost of a 22LR, but now the primer cost alone flips that on its head. I think I will be shooting more rimfire until the prices reach a more favorable equilibrium.

I did buy 1000 small rifle magnum primers for far too much money, but I have to admit that I have enjoyed using them in hot loads.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like others, I will pay that price if I have to. But I have drastically reduced my primer usage by doing almost all my plinking and fun shooting with PCP air guns. Surprisingly accurate to 50 yards and cheap to shoot. I will be doing some 100 yard shooting with them this year to see how it goes.

I am hoping after the mid-terms things get a bit more reasonable.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast