Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Barrel question

Barrel question

Pac-Nor advertises polygonal rifling barrels, anyone have experience with PacNor or poly rifling?
    Same questions for 5R rifling. Enquiring minds want to know.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Grand Master

David Tubb used Snider poly barrels to set numerous national records. I have installed two PacNor poly's and the customer were happy with them.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    In addition to Tubb using Poly barrels, The German engineers at HK also used a poly barrel on their HK PSG 1, which they spent along time making for their spec op guys

Thanks for answers.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago, I had PacNor build me a custom Remington Model 7 Mountain Rifle. It does not have poly rifling but it IS insanely accurate. If I was inclined to build another bolt gun I wouldn't hesitate to have them make it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Agreed ! PacNor barrels have a very good reputation.

Boolit Man
    I have used them all including many Pac-Nor barrels over the years, both for myself and customers. I especially like and use the polygonal rifled profile and have had exceptional results with it. Pac-Nor's version of "polygonal" appears, under a bore scope, to really be 6R rifling. It is 6 groove and to me looks like it has a flat on the land with ramps on both sides. I have to say that I really don't know of any clear definite fact based advantage to any particular style or profile of rifling, it's kind of just what you like and believe in. None last longer, none clean easier or foul less that I can tell or see, none produce faster velocity or better accuracy....if there was a clear stand out that would be all you could buy.
    All that said, I lucked onto a polygonal barrel blank back in the early 90's that was made by Pat McMillan and it was one of the best shooting rifles I ever had. I tried a Pac-Nor barrel and it shot fantastic, so I use them a lot and have never been disappointed. The folks at Pac-nor have always been great to deal with and I will continue to use and recommend their barrels. My three main hunting rifles all sport Pac-Nor polygonal barrels, if that says anything.
    As far as 5R goes...same thing, I cant really attest to any advantages over any other rifling profile. If I had to cite an advantage it would be that it is different and can make for a sale. Krieger held out for a long time and refused to make it. I remember they had a big long article written up on their website about how they did a bunch of testing and were unable to conclude any advantages to 5R. But, even they caved and started to offer it when sales went down. I have several 5R rifled barrels on my guns too, but if I needed a barrel tomorrow and all that was available was standard conventional 4 groove I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Given the preference though I would wait a few weeks for a Pac-Nor polygonal super match.