RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Question on the ocean-front

Question on the ocean-front

Hello Folks,

What is the ideal rig for fishing the long, ocean-front piers on the North Carolina Outer Banks? I’m guessing a short, stiff rod with a strong spinning reel and 30 pound test line would be good. On the other hand, if casting is not so important, then any of my medium boat rods should do fine. What do you guys think?

Take care.

That is something I will never know.

I would use a 7’ medium spinning rod with a quality reel capable of holding 250 yards of #20 mono.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I'm going to Destin in a few weeks to fish off of their peer and maybe another or two. I have gone to braded line, which is thinner than mono for the same pound test. I'm using 50 pound braded which I think is about the same size as 20 pound mono. Using a fairly short and stiff rod, 6' I think and a reel large enough to hold about 150 yards of line. I may be all wrong but this is the equipment I have chosen. I would be interested in others input as I really don't know much about it.
    Rick

Boolit Master

I don’t fish piers but occasionally fish from bridges. I’ve went to braided for bottom and surf fishing but still on the fence about using it on bridges because of its susceptibility to abrasion.
    I like Wheelguns 1961’s equipment suggestion, with 30 lb mono.

Boolit Buddy
    AS far as spinning reel goes , something in the Penn 6500-7500 class with at least 20 lb line......The rigs them selves.....A 75-100 lb swivel, 2-3 feet of 30-100 lb line tied to a hook of your choice, Hook size depends on the size and type of bait that your using. The hook type could the a J hook, Circle hook, Octopus hook ranging from 1/0 to 7/0 in size.........

Depends what your targeting on the pier , I’ve done a good bit of fishing off the obx piers but am mainly trying for the smaller eating size fish , if that’s the case a a 3-4000 size spinning reel with 10-15 lb mono line and a 7 ft med,H. To heavy weight rod will do fine . I would stay away from braid line as some piers forbid it and second if you get something a bit bigger on and have to hand line it up braid can slice your hand up right quick . A similar casting rod reel combo will do just fine too
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy

And if you're targeting larger species and fishing from a tall pier, don't forget a bridge net. Way more important for big fish than the rod or reel.

The bridge net is second only to your rod. Don't want to catch something and can't get it up to you.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund