Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Browning a bolt ii w/ boss 30-06 advice

Browning a bolt ii w/ boss 30-06 advice

I just purchased one of these rifles used and looking for any advice or experience with it. I had a 243 WSSM, but sold it, so that was my only other Browning.

Thanks

Mike

i have a left hand ss A bolt in .280 with the boss devise and i,m thinking about getting it cut off.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Use that BOSS for its intended purpose, to “ tune” your barrel’s harmonics! Got one on a 7 STW and it will shoot better than the other STW rifles I’ve had. Plus, the muzzle brake function is a plus!!! ( and you need it on a 7STW, for sure)As always, just my opinions. Good luck.

P.S. they make a “ blank” for that muzzle brake also.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I had one in 243 Winchester breifly. Tuning the boss took about 1/4 inch off my best load. Got my factory gun shooting .75 MOA five shot groups with nosler BT and a 3x9 scope.

Boolit Master

I don't personally like the looks of the boss but they seem to perform their function well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Didn't Browning also make a version of the Boss that did not have the muzzle brake feature?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I just looked and it's called the BOSS CR (conventional recoil). I'm going to load her up and test things out. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    I own a Browning A bolt II with a BOSS CR in 25-06 and I like the adjustable piece. It may not look pretty but the groups sure do!

I wish I could find the brake piece to try and compare to the CR (non-brake) but it’s no deal breaker because 25-06 is not that punishing although I mainly own it for long range predator hunting and a break might not be a bad idea there.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I've not given the BOSS much thought in many years, but considering that our cast bullet loads are running about 500 to 1000 feet per second slower than the jacketed ammo most bolt guns are built around, having a tuner for your barrel harmonics ain't a bad idea.

I was glad to hear that they came out with the non-ported CR version. Individual mileage may vary, but I'd rather have the kick than the concussion - which was my turn-off to the BOSS when it was first introduced.

And hey! It's also a crown protector!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.