Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Romanian PSL

Boolit Buddy

Romanian PSL

Have been shooting a PSL from a kit purchased when the first batches were imported years ago. Running Czech light ball I couldn't get much of a group out of it. Tried a few rounds of Winchester 180 gr. FMJ and was able to start seeing some 1 1/2" groups at 100. Will have to verify those and then start load work up. Anyone else have suggestions for loads that are accurate? I'm running a Russian PSO scope, 4X.

I would suggest going heavy not light. The Lee 185 gr GC mold comes to mind.

I don't have one myself, I'm too cheap. But I have a friend who has one. I think Privi Partizan makes a heavy match load.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I seem to recall the recommendation to avoid heavy bullets in the PSL. I don’t remember if it was due to lack of performance or risk of damage.

I have always wanted one but they have risen in price beyond what I’m willing to pay for a rifle or parts kit of such quality. I’d likely just buy an M1A for what they are bringing these days. They sure are head turners though!
    Last edited by TyGuy; 06-09-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a PSL, but I have a Russian Vepr in x54R with a 23” barrel and it shoots 155SMK into 1” at 100 with Varget, my buddies PSL has never gotten below 3-4” and yes using heavy ammo will slam the carrier into the trunion and break your rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Not a PSL, but I have a Russian Vepr in x54R with a 23” barrel and it shoots 155SMK into 1” at 100 with Varget, my buddies PSL has never gotten below 3-4” and yes using heavy ammo will slam the carrier into the trunion and break your rifle
    Does your x54R Vepr beat your spent brass beyond repair like my .308 Vepr? Very few of mine are salvageable.

Boolit Buddy
    No, mine is pretty good, my 308 Vepr is the 16”SGM tactical and it kills the brass, but it has such a short/small throat that I can barley get factory to chamber, my X54r throws brass about 40-50 feet straight behind me

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    No, mine is pretty good, my 308 Vepr is the 16”SGM tactical and it kills the brass, but it has such a short/small throat that I can barley get factory to chamber, my X54r throws brass about 40-50 feet straight behind me
    I fixed ths brass being creased by the dust cover by replacing the gas piston with one of these:
    https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/

At first I put some car door protection edge molding on the dust covers inner edge but it only minimized the damage, the adjustable gas piston made the damage (crease from slamming into the dust cover) almost disappear. With the edge molding and piston 99% of my brass is undamaged and the 1% can be ironed out with full length resizing.

My vepr is a 16" 308.

Jaaymar

Boolit Master

Sold 3 from CIA all had to go back as BATF decided they were made from MG. [once a MG always a MG decision] CIA replaced actions but getting them to actually function was a chore refunded everyone's money and walked away from them.

Running cast in a gas operated is begging for lead fouling of the gas port which will have to be cleaned regularly. FMJ is the king.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Buddy
    Running cast in a gas operated is begging for lead fouling of the gas port which will have to be cleaned regularly. FMJ is the king.
    Have you ever seen that happen?
    I've been shooting cast boolits in gas operated firearms for over 10 years, and it's never happened.
    I think that's an urban legend/old wive's tale, etc.
    Anyone on this forum ever had that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Have been shooting a PSL from a kit purchased when the first batches were imported years ago. Running Czech light ball I couldn't get much of a group out of it. Tried a few rounds of Winchester 180 gr. FMJ and was able to start seeing some 1 1/2" groups at 100. Will have to verify those and then start load work up. Anyone else have suggestions for loads that are accurate? I'm running a Russian PSO scope, 4X.
    Interesting, I got a kit years ago in a group buy from Weaponeer, remember them?

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    No. When I asked about feasibility of cast in gas-operated I was told not to go down that route, so I never tried. I have yet to run out of my crates of milsurp anyway.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Interesting, I got a kit years ago in a group buy from Weaponeer, remember them?
    I do , and have a half finished kit that came from him to .
    I still tell myself once every couple years that I really should finish that build .

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    I've been shooting cast boolits in gas operated firearms for over 10 years, and it's never happened.
    I think that's an urban legend/old wive's tale, etc.
    Anyone on this forum ever had that problem?
    fully agree with you on the myth . I’ve shot cast in quite a few different gas guns may pick up a flake of silver now and then in the gas system but far far from effecting function . Now just maybe if you were shooting something full auto and getting that sucker smokin hot it may worsen things but it would still take a good bit
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I bought some things through Gary, sold some things through Gary, and met up with him on several occasions. After he moved from Norwalk I only saw him a couple of times...