Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Requesting advice on how to clean the inside and spout of a Lee Production Pot

Boolit Bub

Requesting advice on how to clean the inside and spout of a Lee Production Pot

I have a Lee Production Pot that I purchased sometime in the early 2000s. Due to accident injuries, I haven't done any casting for almost 20 years. I am currently returning to casting, but I am experiencing some problems with my Pot.

My Pot is a bottom pour model. When I go pour lead into my molds, I am lucky if I can get interrupted dribbles out of the spout. I am unable to get a good stream of lead out of the spout. When I use a small pick to clear the spout, I can't actually improve the flow.

I am afraid that I have a build up of old lead and slag. How far can I go to in taking apart the Pot in order to clean the inside of the spout? How would you recommend that I go about cleaning the inside of the pour spout?

As always, thanks in advance for your help!
    Ed
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer and Referee
    Disabled Rifle [F class mid-range and long-range] and Pistol [Precision Pistol, GSSF, and ShootSig] competitor
    Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit participant
    IDPA and USPSA member

Heat it up.
    Hold a straightened out paper clip with pliers, raise the valve stem,
    and poke it up in the spout and wiggle it around.

It's a hot mess, but that should clear the crud in it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Same principle as Ed, but I take a small, ringed, nail driven through a small piece of wood. Get the pot hot, lift the handle and run the nail in and out of the nozzle as far as you can. Drop the handle and lift it again to start / stop the flow a few times. Repeat as necessary.

If that doesn’t help, pour the melted lead out into small enough containers that you can get the pieces back into the pot later. Let the pot cool. Remove the lift handle and valve rod. Turn the pot upside down and heat the nozzle with a propane torch. Use the nail, drill bit, whatever, and poke the nozzle clean, letting any crud fall out inside the pot. Turn pot back right side up and scrape out anything you can see inside the pot and nozzle. Chuck up the valve rod in a drill. Put a dollop of valve grinding paste down inside the nozzle. Stick the valve rod into the nozzle at the original angle and spin it with the drill to burnish the rod and seat. Clean everything up and reinstall the rod / handle. Add lead, heat it up and see the improvement. If it drips, burnish the rod into the seat a bit more.

Worked for me……. GoodLuck
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

I drain the pot and remove the base and rod/handle, then use a 1/8" drill on the spout.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I drain the pot and remove the base and rod/handle, then use a 1/8" drill on the spout.
    That's what I did until I broke the bit off. Now I use it to mix lube for my lube sizers.

I agree with emptying the pot and cleaning the valve. You may want to get a set of these to assist in cleaning the valve:

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbru...-pc-68155.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_13957.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	301090
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Heat it up and drain as much as you can ... if spout is clogged ... put on heavy gloves and pick up the pot and pour any liquid lead into an ingot mould(s) .
    When it is empty of metal and while still hot tap on the underside and side gently to dislodge as much built up crud from sides . Then let cool ... go to work with scrapers and any home made tool you can make / find to scrape sides and bottom clean . Clean out the spout with small scraper and brass brushes . Dremel Tool and wire wheel for spout ...big wire wheel in drill for pot sides ...
    I've even used heavy sandpaper to remove the crud .
    When done ...if you have some of that old nasty black spray on mould release ...don't use it on moulds but spray the pot walls with it ...helps keep the crud build up off .

Nice to have you back in the action again !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I use a allen wrench to clean a Lee spout, pot must be hot.
    Also, if it's corroded beyond cleanability, the spout, pot liner and other furnace parts are replaceable, parts are free from Lee, but you are charged shipping.

Here is a sticky with links to many threads about fixing/cleaning furnaces.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...7-this-old-pot
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Ditto… except not quite 1/8”. I used the next size up from what already fits in the hole.