RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 7x57mm FN49 reduced loads

Boolit Man

7x57mm FN49 reduced loads

Has anyone had any experience getting reduced cast loads to cycle in an FN49 using 7x57? If so, what powder did you use? Grain weight? Bullet? (I powder coat and GC if That makes a difference to anyone).

I’m not sure if it’s possible but I would love to get something like “the load” to work in it.

Let me know y’all’s thoughts.

For some reason,the 7x57m/m FN-49 is very ammo sensitive. I got mine from a friend who just could not get it to work right with FTE or rip the base of the case off.
    I got my rifle to work using Reloader-15 and a 170 grain SPBT FMJ and some luck using a 160 grain FMJ.
    The Dwell time is the key. You need a medium fast burning powder to get the 15-22,000 PSI port pressure to cycle the bolt.
    You might try a full case of a slow burning powder and a heavy cast gas check bullet. The 7mm FN-49 is just very picky compared to my other caliber '49's.

Boolit Man

7x57mm FN49 reduced loads

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    For some reason,the 7x57m/m FN-49 is very ammo sensitive. I got mine from a friend who just could not get it to work right with FTE or rip the base of the case off.
    I got my rifle to work using Reloader-15 and a 170 grain SPBT FMJ and some luck using a 160 grain FMJ.
    The Dwell time is the key. You need a medium fast burning powder to get the 15-22,000 PSI port pressure to cycle the bolt.
    You might try a full case of a slow burning powder and a heavy cast gas check bullet. The 7mm FN-49 is just very picky compared to my other caliber '49's.
    The first load I tried was PPU 140gr SPBT using the starting load with accurate 4064 (can’t remember the gr weight off the top of my head) and at the gas setting i bought the rifle out it damaged the rims and launched the brass a mile, I kept opening it up and managed to get the brass to cycle reliably dropping pretty much on the table. But definitely want to go to casts as those pills are pricey.

Edit: it also shot about 1’ high at 100 using that load when the sights were set for 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk