RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Favourite Mould for PC and 308 Win

Boolit Mold

Favourite Mould for PC and 308 Win

Hello,
    for a long time I was only reading, now I'd like to ask a few questions and share my experience in another thread.

I am from Austria, Europe, I have got a Sabatti Evo Rifle in 308 Win. with multi radial rifling (special type of polygon)

I acquired some moulds and tried PC. Clear PC seems to work best. TGIC powders are banned in Europe and I think this Ingredient makes the american made PC more sticky

I measured the max OAL of several different bullets (Lee .312 155 160 and 185, MP molds Hunter, Lee .309 from 160 to 200 RN) and they all seem to have the following in common:
    The powder coated nose seems too thick to "bore ride" so OAL is really short, even if I shake off a lot of powder.
    The PB or GC shank is quite a lot lower than the neck (up to 6mm with the heavier bullets)

Now to my Question:

Do you have a favourite mould that really works with PC in mind? The goal is a "very" accurate 100m Target Round.

I have one that I like and its the HTC 150 SP BO1, OAL seems perfect with PC unfortunately it's only available as Plain Base. Accuracy is mediocre (2,7 -4") with 1770fps. I think it's way too fast. I am a little hesitant to reduce the charge in fear of SEE (trail boss is banned in the EU, I use N110 vihtavuori)

The HTC 225 RN CE4 seems really well designed because the nose has a tapered section that accounts for the added PC. It has a really small gas check shank, I wonder if the standard gas checks fit them. I have not shot them yet. I think the won't stabilize well in a 1:11 Twist.

All the best,
    Luke

Boolit Master

My 'go-to' for .308 is the Arsenal 309-188GC-PC; PC'd and sized to .310 at the drive bands with the nose at .301. (Yes, this requires drive bands and nose to be sized in separate operations.) For my Savage M10LE (1-10 twist, .3075 groove/.300 lands), I load these over 26.5 gr. of Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle (which is a Lovex Powder but I can't cite the Lovex product #) for 2007 fps. Boolit takes a standard GC and measured groups average 1.10" to 1.25" @ 100 yds and just under 3" @ 200 yds.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 06-07-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Kraschenbirn for your reply.

Shooters World Buffalo Rifle seems to be the same as Lovex D060.

That Arsenal mould you mentioned looks good. Thank you for sharing your PC experience

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE 165 ranch dog PCed sized to .310 over 35.5gn of Varget and I get 3/4” groups at 100 it’s my hunting load

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of nose ride bullets in my .308. All of them are nose sized with NOE bushings. Measure your bore at the throat (pound cast) and select the nose size bushing based on that.

31-165C no 'lube groove' GCd, designed nose for PC - based on the 165A that others designed. Shot from AR10, 2400 fps 1:10 twist. Near MOA at 200 yrds. ( I pulled one). Kinda copy of A version with nose smaller for PC and no grooves. I also use a 31-142D GC and 142C PB that work well. Same nose treatment. RNFP. But flat is really small. Basically all same design, different weights and all work well in 308W, BO and 30/30.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Forgot. Favorite bullet is the Acc 31-210E, a copy of the Eagan Mk3. I cast, seat GC, size drive bands (.310), size nose (.299). Then I PC. Size drive bands again at .310, nose size at .302 (my bore size at the throat). These are an interference fit in the bore (takes a lot of effort to removed a live round from the chamber). I seat them so the drive bands just touch the lands. Oal is 2.855"

Second is the NOE 310-165 XCB. It is also sized to .310. It is not a bore rider. With PC I have to seat it short, oal 2.45". Ogive is a slight jam fit into the lands.

Both of these are consistent 1.5MOA with many groups less than MOA.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for all the valuable replies.
    @WinchesterM1: is this the mould you refer to? Do you maybe know the OAL?https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...2-cavity-gc-rd
    @popper: that 31-165 C looks really promising. Very interesting design. Can you seat them in your 308 long enough to keep the GC inside the neck? If not, did you experience problems with separating GCs? I guess if they are placed before PC then they are bonded to the boolit like super glue...
    @charlie b: wow you really show the 210gr boolit your love for the hobby! That's great! I think I will try the 165 XCB. Maybe it works also well in 7.62x39 and 300 BO.
    If my calculations are correct the GC is seated a little deeper than the neck. Case mouth should be right on the step from the drive bands to the radius of the front part of the boolit. Sorry, I don't know the right term for this part.

Thank you all!

Boolit Buddy
    No it’s not, this is the one I have.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-cavity-gc-rd/

I also have a 1/12 twist barrel, I made a thread for my load development, let me find it

Okay here it is, this is a thread about the Lee 309-150 and then on page 3 I go into my rd 310-165

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-hunting/page3

GC are at the shoulder. I size/seat GC then PC. No problems with them coming off. The XCB is meant to be a hunting bullet but seems to do OK for accuracy. The 145 PB is fun in 30/30 with 10 gr unique. First is from 80 yds, second is 200.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TgtGfx4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	301115
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TgtGfx15.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	301116
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The short throat on my rifle means the GC on the XCB is well into the case. Not an ideal condition, but, it still shoots well so I continue to use it.

Yep, takes a bit of time to make my 210gn bullets. But, I am retired so time means little. The work pays for itself when I am shooting soda cans at 300yd

If I did not use my rifle for jacketed bullets I'd have the throat lengthened to better suit the XCB. I like the bullet a lot.

Boolit Mold
    Today I got some gas checks from a friend. I loaded a few MP Hunter No-Lube-Groove boolits (Plain Base) and a few Lee 160gr RN with gas checks.
    We will see if the Sabatti Evo with multi radial rifling likes the gas checks better than the plain base.
    Unfortunately the sprue plate on the Lee 160gr mould is a little bent (was new) and some bullets have a bad base.
    I hope to try them this week.

I ordered the Ranch Dog mould and the XCB mould from NOE.

Can't wait for them to arrive

A good clean cut and square base is the key to accuracy. The bent sprue plate should be replaced. A burr can be polished out with wet and dry on a glass plate.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers