Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Investments

I'll try something fun. I'll share how I've lost money on stocks.

I've worked jobs since I was 12. A Uncle started me on a Direct Reinvestment Plan. I added money to it and lost over four grand when PG&E got caught polluting the environment, making people sick.

I started another stock plan in Regions Bank due to the high dividend they had. The financial crisis happened in 2008 and I lost a couple grand on that.

I used to 'trade' amongst funds in my 401k. One of the Asian crisis happened and stopped that - realizing a loss of several grand.

My point is, contrary to what you see about rosy investing claims people do loose money in the market, LOL!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    The stock market IS a much better investment than firearms UNLESS one collects only VERY HIGH END specimens in which case they (most likely) have accumulated wealth.
    The stock market has been tanking very badly lately! More to come! When the market crashes most stock market investors will sell anything that can sell so they can continue to play with stock. All assets crash then, some worse than others.

Boolit Master
    im still waiting for AIG to go back down to 75 cents a share, then it will be time to buy

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Even with the horrible dives the markets have been taking the past 15 days, the vast huge part my investment nest egg in fixed indexed annuities has not gone down 10˘. And I can access many thousands of $$ tomorrow if I need it. Only way to go. Not guns, not ammo, not primers, not lead!

The wife has lost in the high 4 digits with her "play money" in the markets recently, but she only looses if she sells while down! It keeps her busy and out of my hair!!!! Worth every penny.

Boolit Grand Master

They say a 20% correction is a once in 20 years event. I have been through at least 5 of them over the last 30 years. I wish I could crush the odds in Vegas like that.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The stock market is no place to try to MAKE money today. All you can do is buy something you have been watching (that pays dividends), buy it and hope it does not continue the downward spiral we see even today after the FED raised interest rates 750 BP.

I have lost money in the markets in the past. Ever hear of a little company called ENRON? Well, we lost about $90,000 when it went belly up overnight years ago. Can't cry in your spilled beer. We just moved on with our many other investments and have more than recovered today.

But ENRON is a perfect example of how you have NO control over companies taking a dive outside the market trends and loosing lots of money. And it still happens......occasionally. That's why you need a W_I_D_E investment portfolio of stocks, bonds, and fixed indexed annuities.

Never keep a company 401K if you are retired! Or if you can move a portion of the funds you have in there out, if still employed there! A 401K is a federal government-run fund and when was the last time you did well when someone told you..........."Hello, I am from the Federal Government and I am here to help you."

Moderator Emeritus

I lost $125,000 when my employer went into other options and their stock price dropped from $80 to $0.15. We could remove our matching funds until the price was less than $7. 401K programs are government authorized for tax purposes but not Gvmt run. Fidelity has managed mine since the 80's when the funds were authorized.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

https://sensingonline.blogspot.com/2...-shortage.html
    Very interesting, must read.
    Another funny one.
    https://sensingonline.blogspot.com/2...to-secede.html Read the bottom line!
    Whatever!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123