WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Investments

Boolit Buddy

Investments

The stock market IS a much better investment than firearms UNLESS one collects only VERY HIGH END specimens in which case they (most likely) have accumulated wealth.

Boolit Master
    Buy Ruger.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Wait until the market tanks and tanks badly.....which it will.
    You might wish to rethink that position.
    The stock market is like Las Vegas - a total crap shoot.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Fish4bugs nailed it. History repeats, you forget the depression and the dirty 30's so fast?

My uncles used to play in the stock market. Some of them made some pretty good money doing it.
    But one uncle warned me. You put money in the stock market, the really big money boys run that market up and down as they see fit.

And he pointed out where these billion dollar players would all sell a particular stock or groups of stocks short. And those stocks would plummet. They would ride it down until they had made a pile. Cash out, and turn around and buy those same stocks, thus injecting confidence in the stock, and the stock would shoot up. They made big money both ways.

Me I'd rather have a nice gun safe full of classics. They can only take them from me if I let them.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Investments are typically long term as in 'saving for the future'. I was born in '49. Suppose my rich uncle invested $100.00 in the S&P500 when I arrived. Name one firearm available back about then that cost around $100.00 that, if put away NIB, would approach that dollar investment today...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Wait until the market tanks and tanks badly.....which it will.
    You might wish to rethink that position.
    The stock market is like Las Vegas - a total crap shoot.
    I like the odds at the Las Vegas Craps Tables better !
    The money I gave to "investor's " who were going to build me a nest egg for retirement ...
    just magically went away ... Oh Sorry, the stock market tanked ... your money is gone .
    I'm not sure, but it seems to me , the whole stock market racket is geared for rich people getting richer and poor working people getting poorer .
    I'll invest in guns !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Investing in guns is a lot like investing in cars. NIB safe queens and low mileage garage queens are where the money is. Transferable MGs seem to be on a steady climb but not sure they really outpace inflation. Still, if the stock market really tanks I think I would rather have that MG than a classic car…

Boolit Buddy
    ROI - Return On Investment. Now or in the future? Percentage?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    The stock market IS a much better investment than firearms UNLESS one collects only VERY HIGH END specimens in which case they (most likely) have accumulated wealth.
    I went though this on this forum a while back and had my butt handed to me. People want to justify they are doing the "smart thing". If their toys appreciate in value, they believe they have been smart.

It is interesting that people will hold on to a gun for 50 years and brag their $35 M-1 is now worth $1800. But $35 invested the S&P in 1972 is worth $5000 today. Never argue with "logic" like that.

People investing in the market for the long term will be successful. But many people sell when the market drops and take a hit. Then they buy too late during the rebound. Long term investors profit from the losses these folks take. And many small investors get "worked over" by so called "financial planners". I had that happen when I was younger.

It is stupid for people to have all their money in the stock market, but it is not smart to have nothing in the market (unless a person does not have a long life expectancy). I could not have retired 10 years ago without investing the market. Even with the recent slump, I have more money now than I did 10 years ago. The value of my gun collection has not kept pace. The value of my components has done much better due to the shortages.

I know only two people who retired comfortably without investing in the market. They invested in their business and in land.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I went though this on this forum a while back and had my butt handed to me. People want to justify they are doing the "smart thing". If their toys appreciate in value, they believe they have been smart.

It is interesting that people will hold on to a gun for 50 years and brag their $35 M-1 is now worth $1800. But $35 invested the S&P in 1972 is worth $5000 today. Never argue with "logic" like that.

People investing in the market for the long term will be successful. But many people sell when the market drops and take a hit. Then they buy too late during the rebound. Long term investors profit from the losses these folks take. And many small investors get "worked over" by so called "financial planners". I had that happen when I was younger.

It is stupid for people to have all their money in the stock market, but it is not smart to have nothing in the market (unless a person does not have a long life expectancy). I could not have retired 10 years ago without investing the market. Even with the recent slump, I have more money now than I did 10 years ago. The value of my gun collection has not kept pace. The value of my components has done much better due to the shortages.

I know only two people who retired comfortably without investing in the market. They invested in their business and in land.
    ^ Truth!

And if you're using terms like "Playing the market", "Like Vegas", "A crap shoot", etc, then you almost certainly will lose your money. Best you stick to cash or just be honest with yourself and go buy lottery tickets instead. Investing isn't gambling.

Yeah, I’d have taken $100k of transferable machineguns in May of ‘86 than all of the Bear Stearns, American International Group Inc, XL Group and Genworth Financial Inc stocks that ever existed.

It’s only as safe as what “investments” you can get talked into.

My wife is a CPA. She gets various accounting related periodicals. One is Kiplinger Tax Letter. I read that one because it is just high-lights of subjects and is only four pages long. I still remember reading an article that compared how people did return wise based on the number of various investment areas they were in. On average, the people who were invested in 7 or more areas did much better over time than the people investing in only one or two.
    I had a good laugh because of something I had just read in the "Good Book" a day before.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2, "Divide your portion to seven or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may befall you on the earth."

Boolit Mold
    Never lost a $ on guns. May not make as much as investing but the enjoyment I get from casting, reloading, and shooting is unmeasurable.

Guns are a very poor investment except for just the pleasure in their use. Sure, if you have the foresight and the money to buy up a pile of those worthless Uzis way back in 1986, you might have earned a nice pile of cash. But that $400 gun cost would have earned you roughly $12000 in those 36 years if invested in that losing stock market. And if you were that smart, investing in certain companies would have earned you a million on that $400. Apple being one of them.
    And folks, no one since the 29 crash has lost "everything" in ANY stock market correction. Companies will fail, Enron, WorldCom, but unless you are stupid, you don't put all your money in one stock
    Yeah, I'm down 20% since last year, but I'm still more than double since 2017. When the stock market goes down, you do not sell, you BUY.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The average person doesn't buy guns for investment.

Boolit Master
    and nobody is trying to pass laws to take away your stock market investment
    Hick: Iron sights!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a long story about the gains of investments in guns, but that first canoe accident ate up all the profits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Best I have done is land .....2020 ,I sold my junkyard for $1m (OK its OZ pesos) that I bought in 1980 for $8000.......and sale was tax free,I paid not one penny in tax......The farm Im sitting on now was bought by my father in 1952 for $400.......now Im paying tax on a Govt valuation of $1 1/2m,and every week I get offers of $3m +............My old man used to say .....land for lazy people....its the only thing you can leave out in the weather and sell for more than it cost.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't think about guns for long-term REAL financial investments. Or the stock markets! Think about what I did, and go through a registered fiduciary investment firm (not a stock broker or banker) and put your money in fixed annuities. Those financial tools gain money (5-8% per annum) when the markets go up and hold rock steady (no loss) when the markets go down. I have never lost a dime over the past 16 years investing like that. My multi-digit nest egg is totally safe and secure and totally accessible anytime. 100% guaranteed and secure.

The wife dabbles (heavily) in the markets with her multi-digits of (side) play money and gains and looses as the market pendulums swings, but never sells. You only loose when you sell lower than you bought! Only buy dividend-paying stocks, and nothing else. Even if it is some "widget" you really like and use....if no dividend is paid...do not buy it! We live on those dividends.... and have a really nice cash flow coming in every month.

Invest wisely. Invest early. Invest smart. Guns cannot do that. Primers cannot do that. Lead cannot do that. Nor can the markets.

Boolit Master
    When I was about 12 ,my old man put a fair ammount in stocks for me and my brother......I had a lot in a Copper mine ,and over 15 years ,the stocks never rose ,mainly I suspect because the CEOs in London and New York made sure they didnt....A lot in a major industrial conglomerate.....blue chip to bust due to recessions,cheap offshoring by competition,bad mistakes with foreign investments......and finally a takeover by asset strippers.....I think I had to take .50c a unit for $10 stock a decade before,and the asset strippers made millions from the large land holdings .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast